• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

That was close

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah very close, my daughter, my wife and I all will have to clean out our shorts. Our dog well it just about hit the floor. We just had a lightning strike the ground in our back yard. I felt the windows move and felt the pressure as I was sitting right next to our big view windows. The hair on my arms is still standing.:shitHitFan:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I will have to go out and check tomorrow. It is dark right now. We have been having some normal lightning and thunder no rain and then all of a sudden not expected it just banged. My ears are even ringing.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I love watching a lightning storm, but your case is too close to home for me. If the lightning left any burn spots, take some photos and post them. Glad to hear you and your family are alright.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Yeah very close, my daughter, my wife and I all will have to clean out our shorts. Our dog well it just about hit the floor. We just had a lightning strike the ground in our back yard. I felt the windows move and felt the pressure as I was sitting right next to our big view windows. The hair on my arms is still standing.:shitHitFan:

Glad everyone is OK Murph !

My son & I were traveling home last year from a LL game that was called off due to a thunderstorm.
On the way home from the field in my open jeep wrangler (Bikini top, no doors) we had a strike hit a tree along the road about 25 feet away from us as we sped past in the downpour. No delay between the flash & the boom, & the ozone smell was something we'll never forget !
My son heard me say the "F" word ( I never use those around the kids) & I said It wasn't what you thought, boy I said: F iretr uck, they're gonna need a F iretr uck. ( I know he believed me on that one ! )

I have serious respect for lightning now !

Take care

Tom

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I love watching a lightning storm, but your case is too close to home for me. If the lightning left any burn spots, take some photos and post them. Glad to hear you and your family are alright.

If it hit the lawn, the sod will have some strange growth alterations in the next year........you may even have mushrooms growing in the middle of the lawn.........apparently for no reason.........it alters the ground in some strange ways.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
If it hit the lawn, the sod will have some strange growth alterations in the next year........you may even have mushrooms growing in the middle of the lawn.........apparently for no reason.........it alters the ground in some strange ways.

Huh very interesting. It would be interesting to photograph the area hit throughout the years to see all of the changes.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
CRAP!!!! Sounds like what I went through a month ago! Glad to read youre alright!

urednecku

Site Supporter
Glad ya'll are OK, & it didn't take out any electrical things. (or did it?)
A few weeks ago @ work, there was a strike close enough, there was a 'crack' before the 'BOOM', and the 'BOOM' started before the light (from the strike) went out. I never did figure out what it hit, I was in the edge of a swamp, about 100 feet from a lake. (NO, I did NOT need a change of shorts, because it tightened up so tight ya couldn't have driven a nail up with a hammer.)

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad everyone is OK Murph !

My son heard me say the "F" word ( I never use those around the kids) & I said It wasn't what you thought, boy I said: F iretr uck, they're gonna need a F iretr uck. ( I know he believed me on that one ! )

Tom

Damn you're good! Great recovery. Have you considered a career in politics? HeHe

So Thcri, any visible damage?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
The other thing to look for where the strike was is "lightning glass" - depending on how much sand is in your soil, you can find some interesting formations, just be careful digging it up, because they can run pretty deep and are fragile.

glad to hear everyone is OK.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear everyone is OK.

The other thing to look for where the strike was is "lightning glass"
Or if you have a rocky area, "rocky bowls" (a name I just made up).

Look at the holes in these rocks. They were formed by lightning strikes.

Attachments

• CIMG5531.JPG
    CIMG5531.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 69
D

darroll

I would like to know as to what is in the ground to attract the lightning? Maybe a big gold nugget.
Glad you are all ok.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
The other thing to look for where the strike was is "lightning glass" - depending on how much sand is in your soil, you can find some interesting formations, just be careful digging it up, because they can run pretty deep and are fragile.

like in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama"

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
yes it is. It ranks in my top ten best movies. what more can a girl ask for comedy and romance all in one movie