• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Homebuilt Mini Snow cat

Goon37

I built a mini snow cat in about 3 weeks out of two snowmobiles & some scrap. works good, gona build some more. Check out the video. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Mr6neXGhI"]YouTube- homebuilt ATTV[/ame]

mattfidaho

wow cool. I always like tinkering with stuff...

looks like you are already ahead of most krustys out there :p :) :) LOL

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is AWESOME.

Do you have any of the build up photos for us so you could show us how it went together? And perhaps some added specifications?

Goon37

Yamaha tracks & suspension, K 131 kohler moter ( a little under powerd ) Haxco transaxle W/ 2 foward & 1 rev. jet ski fuel cell, subaru brat seats,
twist throtle off a honda motorcycle, 1x .125 square tube & 1 x 2 rec. tube, a little bit of angle iron, the 1.5 dia. round tube is from a trampoline.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
that is awesome ! :clap: your very krafty and creative for sure! did you ever think of building a hovercraft ??

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That thing is cool!!! And yes, it is already better than most krusty's since it moves under it's own power and has seen snow.

Now, how does it turn? Steer? Is it like a skid steer setup where one track brakes in order to turn?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd love to see some up close/detailed photos.

What are your plans? You obviously built a roll type cage, is that going to be the frame for some future body work? Possibly a flat bed for cargo over the rear? Or since you indicate it is underpowered is there a new powerplant in your future plans that might give it a bit more oomph?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's great. Thanks for posting the video and welcome to Forums Forums.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
small and gets around kinda reminds me of the cushman but with a better ride having a smowmachine suspension hre is a novel idea fora power pland how about a geo metro motor that little 3 banger would make your ride fly

Goon37

The build photos will not upload, too big i think.

Attachments

• DSC04167.JPG
    DSC04167.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 3,891
  • DSC04166.JPG
    DSC04166.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,895
  • DSC04165.JPG
    DSC04165.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 3,871

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
audi trans axle would be cool with the inboard brakes you don't have to worry about an axke snaping during a turn would be simmalar to a m113 system for the pivot steerlots of luck i would only suggestthat you look to put on a longer track so you don't have to be concernedabout an endo when traversing rough terrain on a slope.get a copy of the cuushman trackster operators manual they have some diagrams in the front about that.

Don

Goon37

When i build the bigger one i am gona build every thing including the tracks, i just need to find a pair of drive sprokets i have most everything els, It will be at least 2 x longer then my little one.
gona do a 2 to 1 chain reduction on my final drive so it will drop my gearing but still give me a good top end speed. every thing i build are one offs, no two are the same only becuse i build outa what ever i have laying around or what i can trade for.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
When i build the bigger one i am gona build every thing including the tracks, i just need to find a pair of drive sprokets i have most everything els, It will be at least 2 x longer then my little one.
gona do a 2 to 1 chain reduction on my final drive so it will drop my gearing but still give me a good top end speed. every thing i build are one offs, no two are the same only becuse i build outa what ever i have laying around or what i can trade for.
camoplast makes tracks for the trackster and also some longer tracks for the lookalikes the drive coggs for the internal drive of that track are easy to fabricate

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Goon, have you made any progress on the Audi project. I realize it has been a almost a year... I have been a long time Sno Cat wanter. I like the *artic quad trac* size-wise. I have a Quantum syncro Wagon Drive train. That Audi had looking differentials and a 5 cyl 2.3L engine. I intend to use four snow mobile tracks and pivot in the middle like the Quad track. I found this forum and I am searching various topics to get a better idea what I am up against. Thanks for sharing this project as it give wings to mine project.

Mike

lowell

looks like a cool ride:clap:it looks like it will turn on a dine and give ya 15 cents change:wow:wish I had the stuff to build stuff like that
good jod:wow::wow:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just found his build photos. at the site list near the end definatly unique. I can't wait to see the larger version. I hope he did not lose interest.

Mike

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately Goon has not logged in since May of 2010. Let's hope he comes back and shares some more with us.