• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Barn cat

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like I have a barn cat. I didn’t go looking for one, it just showed up a couple of days ago and moved in. Actually it walked in the house, jumped up on the dining room table and started making itself at home. I took it outside and closed the door. Waited a reasonable amount of time for it to leave and then walked outside. Cat was back in the house before I was completely out the door. I left it outside until it got dark but it wouldn’t leave. Leaving him outside would be certain death (cold, wild animals, etc.) so I took it to the barn, gave it some water and dog food, and left it until morning.

That was two days ago and the cat has taken over the barn. I assume it will do well with the mice? Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do and not do with my new barn cat?

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
treat kitty as a pet cause that cat has adopted u. they keep mice in check whether they have food or not. it's instinct. my Parents' cats loved to leave mice & moles, snakes & 'at fer us as 'gifts' when they played in the yard. have u named the implant-kitty~
we got several unexpected pets @ my Dad's. they'd wander in, or be dropped in/near the yard. they would be so hungry, cold, snow in thier fur during the winters, thin, meowing,- we couldn't let 'em stay needy/hungry.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do feed the cat and get him neutered. A well fed cat is a better mouser and will stick around the barn better. Mine love to go in the barn and play and hunt for anything that moves. There are no mice in my barn or anywhere close to the buildings. They hunt the fields and woods which keeps the moles and mice and chipmunks cleaned out and makes the coyotes go elsewhere.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i concur. neuter unless batches of kitties wouldn't faze u.
should name kitty-cat, 'slinky-boo'~
slunk on in, & said 'boo! here i is!'

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Do feed the cat and get him neutered. A well fed cat is a better mouser and will stick around the barn better. Mine love to go in the barn and play and hunt for anything that moves. There are no mice in my barn or anywhere close to the buildings. They hunt the fields and woods which keeps the moles and mice and chipmunks cleaned out and makes the coyotes go elsewhere.

Yes, What he said.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
If I had a barn, I would want a barn cat. I agree with the neutering. There are too many feral cats already