• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I just pumped 10 gallons of water in my Tractor !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Son of a BITCH !!!!
Was low on Diesel so I stopped at the only gas station in town and topped off my Tractor . 10 Gallons worth . Got about a 1/4 mile down the road and it shut down . Check the fuel filter and it was full of water ????? WTF!!!
Walk back to the station and tell the girl they have water in their diesel tank and don't sell anymore to they check it . She looks at me and says " Well another guy filled up this morning and he did not come back with a problem .
They actually think its my problem I have water in the tank . Called a mechanic and he removed 10 gallons of straight water out of the tank . I only hold 11.3 gallons in the whole tank . The tractor shut down 4 more times before we finally got it running . Its running like shit . The station refuses to give my $41 bucks back and she told me they would dip the tanks in the morning to see if there is a problem . I am out a Mechanic's service call and 10 gallons of fuel plus fuel filters and this dumb bitch wants to tell me its not there fault .

I am going to bury that fucking owner in the morning , I hope she has good insurance cause now I am having my tractor shipped to the dealer and have them check the whole fuel system and the injectors .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well you got water but at least you ONLY paid for diesel fuel.

Had you purchased Evian Water or some other bottled water instead of costing you $41 bucks for the water it would have cost you closer to $150.00

So the way I see it, the gas station saved you about $109.00 :tiphat:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Same thing happened to my shop pick up after I had to fuel up in a small town I don't usually go thru.

Had 1/4 tank of fuel & topped it off knowing I wouldn't have enough fuel to make my machine delivery & get back to the shop.

On the way back my Edge monitor started going off & I had 1 psi (lift pump)fuel pressure going to the injection pump. Let off the go pedal & I could get about 7 psi. Eased it all the way back to the shop with the empty tag trailer & it was still running........barely !

A full jug of powerservice in the tank & a new pre strainer as well as the main filter & I'm back up to 23-25lift pump psi at load.

I'll probably have to do the filters again in a tank or 2 but for now it's running again.

A full filter of black goo & water. just love changing diesel filters in ten degree weather !

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like they got seepage around the fill pipe when you consider mods service stations have a 300 to 500 heel if you pumped that much water they have a but load in their tanks . also they have the wrong filters they should have water block filters

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently the 4 plus dollars a gallon isn't enough now they have to cut it with water. I've had similar problems twice this winter at 2 different places.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys are scaring me. In 40 years of driving diesels, I have never encountered a water issue.. But four of five of you this winter. alone....

:w00t2:

Best I use only high volume guys like QT for diesel.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys are scaring me. In 40 years of driving diesels, I have never encountered a water issue.. But four of five of you this winter. alone....

:w00t2:

Best I use only high volume guys like QT for diesel.

Franc, I also have never had water problems with diesel. I have my own tank now, but prior to a couple years ago I purchased diesel at one of several Speedway gas stations. Never had an issue.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Today I will order up two 300 gallon fuel tanks . One for "on road" diesel and one for gas.
I am not taking anymore chances . After talking to a few folks I town it appears that this has been a on going problem and the owner just blows them off . If this had been in my King Ranch she would not want to know what it would cost her by the time I was done .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today I will order up two 300 gallon fuel tanks . One for "on road" diesel and one for gas. . .
Allen, when you get them installed I'd like to see a photo.

I have a 500 gallon diesel tank, it just sits outside on the ground. But lately I've been seeing a lot of tanks that are sitting in boxes/tubs to capture a spill. I'm just curious this is a new regulation that came about after I put my tank on my property.

FWIW, I bought my 500 gallon tank from a retired farmer, came with a working but antique electric pump, paid him $300.

I did end up replacing the ancient pump about 2 years ago with one from Tractor Supply. So I have about $500 in my 500 gallon tank/pump set up.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, when you get them installed I'd like to see a photo.

I have a 500 gallon diesel tank, it just sits outside on the ground. But lately I've been seeing a lot of tanks that are sitting in boxes/tubs to capture a spill. I'm just curious this is a new regulation that came about after I put my tank on my property.

I don't know if double containment is a requirement in Idaho or not . It is in California.
The local logging company had a trailer mounted 500 gallon fuel tank that they rented from the oil company and it was single wall .
The only thing they did was lay down a layer of plastic and pull the trailer over it . No perimeter berm .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if double containment is a requirement in Idaho or not . It is in California.
The local logging company had a trailer mounted 500 gallon fuel tank that they rented from the oil company and it was single wall .
The only thing they did was lay down a layer of plastic and pull the trailer over it . No perimeter berm .

Mine is an old (really old) single wall. Quite literally just sitting on the ground. I have no clue if there are now rules that forbid it here? But nobody has said anything about it.

I see them sitting on farms too. And then there are the elevated/gravity tanks there is no containment for those, but they don't seem to be very common anymore.

But it seems like any commercial tanks that I have seen installed in the past 10 years has a containment tub. Might be different requirements for commercial and private use?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I will tell you what the feds require you to have usually states follow close behind for bulk fuel tanks that are stationary you need secondary containment at 150% of the largest single tank in the area. if you have 2 300 gallon tanks that would be 150% of 300 gallons. if the tanks are mobile say trailer or truck mounted you need no containment. this is a loop hole construction company's and mines like to use make Shure you use water block filters above ground tanks can make water