• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Transporting extra fuel on a motorcycle

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob and I purchased a couple Honda motorcycles. They are Adventure/Touring style motorcycles but have fairly limited fuel tanks. The range is roughly 240 miles before the tank runs empty and that is optimistic given that we will have camping gear, luggage boxes, etc strapped to the motorcycles.

We are planning to go into Canada in 2019 along the north short of Lake Superior and several sources warn that anyone with a motorcycle should carry extra fuel.

I've been looking for the "perfect" solution to carrying fuel and found one that I think is, at least, a darn good solution and taking all sorts of measurements and trying all sorts of options. My goal is to carry a minimum of 2 gallons of fuel, 1 gallon per motorcycle, but more would be better if possible.

Option #1 - Rotopax, FuelPax and similar - these are flat hard fuel containers. Sizes vary but they are roughly 3" thick, roughly 14" square. Photo below shows orange tanks mounted on a red Honda. Downside is the shape. Clearly would spill fuel in a skid, and mounting next to a hot engine? I've seen them mounted to the outside of the luggage cases, making the motorcycle even wider at the rear. Also seen them mounted to the rear top case and even mounted on top of the passenger seat. None seem like good mounting choices. Roughly $105 to carry 1 gallon of fuel, with a $40 mount and a $65 canister. 2 gallons, 1 for each bike, $210.

Option #2 - DESERT FOX 6 Liter Fuel Bladder => https://desertfox.bike/desert-fox-5l-fuel-cell/ These are flexible fuel cells. Roughly a square pillow, encapsulated in a Cordura fabric case with lots of lash points. Can be rolled up and stored away when not in use. Can be strapped to the rear seat on the handful of days it is needed. Seems like a reasonably good choice. I found a source in Australia that will ship 2 of the 6 liter (1.5 gallon) bladders for about $185. So 3 gallons for $185.

Option #3 - GIANT LOOP 1 or 2 gallon Fuel Bladders => https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/ These are flexible fuel cells. Roughly a long rectangular pillow, encapsulated in heavy vinyl with lots of lash points. Can be rolled up and stored away when not in use. Can be strapped to the rear seat on the handful of days it is needed. Seems like a reasonably good choice. A 2 gallon bladder is $200.

Option #4 - Chinese knock off Rotopax rectangular cans => https://www.amazon.com/YOUNGFLY-Por..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Z0GQR1Z89TN7B6E851N6 These are sort of like the flat Rotopax containers but they are thinker and more box shaped. Somewhat easier to mount on the front of a motorcycles side case, at least some of them. I played around with a green 5 liter gas can in my garage. Not exactly the same, but similar size. You can see it in the photos below. I could mount 1 to the front of my rectangular cargo boxes but there is no good way to mount it to my wife's more aerodynamic cargo boxes. These are cheap, 1.3 gallons for under $40 but they are still bulky.

MSR Fuel Bottles - these are high quality aluminum bottles, but typically 1 liter in size with a cost of about $20 per bottle. https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Liquid-F...06230&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=msr+fuel+bottle There are lots of mounting options that average about $15 per bottle. Some are plastic containers, some are fabric with velcro and elastic. Pretty simple to strap 2 of these bottle to a motorcycle for 1/2 gallon of extra fuel. Finding places to strap 4 bottles becomes a bit more of a challenge. Cost for 2 gallons (8 bottles + 8 holsters) is roughly $300 so its the expensive choice. Lots of people use this option, but typically only carry 1 or 2 bottles. Its a good way to carry a SMALL amount of fuel. You can see in the last photo, 2 red MSR bottles in cordura holsters mounted under the rear seat between the luggage cases.

Attachments

• IMG_3997 (1).jpg
    IMG_3997 (1).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 77PfROD1S2OLVX5RTIQQMw.jpg
    77PfROD1S2OLVX5RTIQQMw.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 157
  • k82gDqQ7RHiU9BaZ9j0knQ.jpg
    k82gDqQ7RHiU9BaZ9j0knQ.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 164
  • MSR bottles installed2.jpg
    MSR bottles installed2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 169

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I really think the price is crazy expensive to carry extra fuel safely on a motorcycle. However, carrying it in an unsafe manner is even crazier.

The flexible pillow shaped "fuel bladders" seem to me to be the best options. Easy to stow away when not needed. Strapped on the rear seat with the camping gear when it is needed would center the weight on the motorcycle.

For our planned trip we probably will only need to carry extra fuel for about 30% to 40% of the trip, basically the rural areas on the Canadian side of the border. The population centers are closer together on the American side of the Great Lakes so it is unlikely we'd need any sort of extra fuel, despite the limited travel range of our motorcycles. I like the idea of being able to fold up the empty fuel containers and stow them away when we don't need them, which is most of the time. Having a bulky fuel canister strapped somewhere on the bikes 100% of the trip seems pretty awkward and inconvenient, especially since there is no ideal place to actually mount a fuel can.

All that said, I ordered 2 of the Desert Fox 6 liter fuel bags from Australia. That gives us roughly 1.5 gallons of gasoline for each motorcycle. Total cost is $185 for the 2 fuel bags, delivered. Like I said, crazy expensive. But it is also one of the least expensive options despite being one of the best options.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.20.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.20.36 PM.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.20.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.20.27 PM.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Desert-Fox-Flexible-Feul-Storage-with-D-Rings.jpg
    Desert-Fox-Flexible-Feul-Storage-with-D-Rings.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.31.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.31.36 PM.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.32.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.32.18 PM.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 157

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In my prepper days, this is actually something that I thought about a lot. Unfortunately my solutions do not pertain to motorcycles. I actually like your choice for the mega trip next year. Use them when you need them and roll them up and stash them when you don't. It'll take a little preplanning but we know that you won't be short on that. All in all, excellent choice. I like it.

Come on Bob, $185 for two fuel cells from Australia that will give you peace of mind on your trip???? You've spent more in Starbucks!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You're talking my language now. The north shore is quite barren once you're past sault st marie. I believe there's a 2 hour gap with no fuel. And the terrain will mean you are working the bike harder in the hills. There aren't many passing lanes. It's mostly a 2 lane road twisty and winding. But gorgeous scenery. Fuel is very limited between sault and wawa. From there to white river is about an hour and a half. Then another hour to marathon. Just to give you an idea, from sault st marie to thunder bay is an 8 hr drive doing 100km and barely any stops. On a bike, I'd do it in 2 days to allow for gas stops and sight seeing. There are some nice road side pull offs worth the stop. If you want to spend a couple days and take in some excellent scenery, bring a tent and sleeping bags. Stop at Neys provincial park. There is a gorgeous beach and hiking trails that take you up an amazing scenic trail overlooking the lake.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:clap:
You're talking my language now. The north shore is quite barren once you're past sault st marie. I believe there's a 2 hour gap with no fuel. And the terrain will mean you are working the bike harder in the hills. There aren't many passing lanes. It's mostly a 2 lane road twisty and winding. But gorgeous scenery. Fuel is very limited between sault and wawa. From there to white river is about an hour and a half. Then another hour to marathon. Just to give you an idea, from sault st marie to thunder bay is an 8 hr drive doing 100km and barely any stops. On a bike, I'd do it in 2 days to allow for gas stops and sight seeing. There are some nice road side pull offs worth the stop. If you want to spend a couple days and take in some excellent scenery, bring a tent and sleeping bags. Stop at Neys provincial park. There is a gorgeous beach and hiking trails that take you up an amazing scenic trail overlooking the lake.
:clap:

Thank you for all of this.

For my birthday the lovely Mrs_Bob got us some new camping gear, tent ...

Our plan is to take the shoreline of Lake Superior as a series of stops.

... You've spent more in Starbucks!!!

True, but not on 1 road trip.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No problem. Do a Google search for neys provincial park. We stayed there two nights but it was pouring rain the whole time. My buddy hauls his camper there every summer and they spend a week.

Here's just one example of the hiking trails at neys.
a0f3eb19f4d4b27c43688b3ac6f351ec.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not too far out of sault st marie there's a road side pull off on the left called old woman bay. Very nice scenery. Especially at sunset.
ebd076a5d13635e3f5118b528f202b21.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And this is why I want extra fuel.

Can probably get from gas stop to gas stop/city to city but that is now really how we want to travel.

We want to take the 'road less traveled' to find the world's largest ball of twine, or the tallest fiberglass dinosaur, or whatever the out of the way attraction may be. Be it a natural wonder left to show us God's grace or be it a man made curiosity to attract foolish tourists to get them to part with a few scheckles from their purse.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Price is not bad considering what they are. Looks to be a good solution. Much better then carrying plastic cans around with you all the time thats for sure. I have a friend who says always go first class it only costs 10% more. He's stuck in the 60's & 70's though. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Price is not bad considering what they are. Looks to be a good solution. Much better then carrying plastic cans around with you all the time thats for sure. I have a friend who says always go first class it only costs 10% more. He's stuck in the 60's & 70's though. :yum:
My thought too. I suppose I could buy a 2 gallon plastic gas can and some bungie cords in the Duluth area before we cross the border, leave them behind for someone else after we are done with them, but that still seems like a PITA

Be sure to stop in white river. Home of Winnie the Pooh
That is on the agenda!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
See what you learn on this forum!!!!

I never knew that White River was the home of Winnie the Pooh. My son who is 50-years old, still wears a Winnie and Tigger T-shirt. He never got over his childhood fascination.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
See what you learn on this forum!!!!

I never knew that White River was the home of Winnie the Pooh. My son who is 50-years old, still wears a Winnie and Tigger T-shirt. He never got over his childhood[strike] fascination. [/strike] trauma.
FIXED IT FOR YOU :yum:

Bamby

Here's a saddle bag that may work for you. On the link page there is a link to some 2 liter fuel bottles they say can be safely carried in the saddlebags.

MSB17-B-Mojavi-Saddlebag-2017-Black.jpg

Oh well it's another thought though maybe not a solution.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My thought too. I suppose I could buy a 2 gallon plastic gas can and some bungie cords in the Duluth area before we cross the border, leave them behind for someone else after we are done with them, but that still seems like a PITA

That is on the agenda!!!
Oh. You're planning on coming through Duluth first. I could point out a couple of interesting things to take in on that part of the shore as well. There's glensheen mansion in Duluth right on the highway. Very interesting. There's also split rock lighthouse you could check out. After leaving Duluth, there's a 4 lane divided highway for 45 minutes. There's also the older historical route along the lake shore. Just past two harbors, on the left side of the road there's this amazing diner called betty's pies. You won't regret it. Further along, there's grand marais. Small little tourist town. The main street is only 2 blocks long but has nice little shops as well as sven and oles pizza. Probably the best pizza on the north shore. I'm only a 45 minute drive north of the border.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh. You're planning on coming through Duluth first...

We are looking to ride up the west side of Lake Michigan to Mackinaw, then follow the south shore of Superior westward to Duluth, then up and around back toward Mackinaw.

And thanks for the list, I'm making notes :clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No problem. Don't forget to ad kakabeka falls to the list. It's a 20 minute drive from Thunder bay heading west but worth it if you've never been. Depending on when you're coming through, I could show you guys around for a few hours. You'll have to ride right near my place anyway to do the north shore.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the fuel bladders (I bought 2) arrived today from Australia. Actually arrived a few days ago but I couldn't get to the post office to pick them up until today. Far quicker shipping than I expected :smile:

Initial impressions are very positive.

The fuel nozzle does not screw on, it is a pressure fit. That might be the only real negative. The bladder itself is a fairly thick plastic and it has a nice canvas cover with lots of tie down points and a couple long straps that are sewn into the back of the cover. Looks like it will do the trick. Maximum capacity is 6 liters, or just a bit over 1.5 gallons.

Attachments

• c57gtRuuRhKpnXD%HfNiRg.jpg
    c57gtRuuRhKpnXD%HfNiRg.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 121

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
balance played a big part on the top is was bad but the side was ok. I have good scrape marks on them with no leaks.
divide001.jpg

dividetrail07007.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
balance played a big part on the top is was bad but the side was ok. I have good scrape marks on them with no leaks.
divide001.jpg

dividetrail07007.jpg

The Rotopack containers are nice. I already have hard cases on the sides and back and couldn’t figure a spot for those