Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Snowy Rivers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: rear drive differential

Montana

I am curious about the chain boxes used on your cat ????

I have a very good chance of securing a WEASEL rear axle for my project and knowing what your boxes came from (Or home made) would be sweet.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM

montanabuffalo is on a distinguished road

Completely homemade ! I was totally amazed when I disassembled this machine at the craftsmanship, countless hours the builder put into this. I talked to the builders son last night and he told me his dad build that that cat with an arc welder using E 6011 rod completely under the Big Montana Sky. (no shop). I can take some pictures of it as I am about put it back together thanks to U.S. Roller chain and sprocket company. (very nice people) The builder suspended the weasel differential by sliding a 1/2 piece of flatiron between the differential and axle tube, axle tube bolts hold the diff in place. The drive axle has a pillow block bearing bolted to the cover for the drop box. You can also see where he welded some side gear that fit his axle splines into the center of the sprocket. His son told me that the cat is powered by a 287 Rambler V-8 backed with an automatic transmission. A low budget marvel to say the least.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Cletis is on a distinguished road

Montana B, I just spent a few days around Jackson, Wy. The powder was crazy fun. Driving over Togwotee pass out of Dubois was killing me not to stop and play. Powder was deep! I plan on several trips to Togwotee pass next yr for sure. Not sure about this yr but if you Montanans had any good, deep powder areas up there to play in for next yr, I'd be in for coming up from Wy.

Cletis
The Following User Says Thank You to Cletis For This Useful Post:
montanabuffalo (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Snowy Rivers is on a distinguished road

These sort of folks are out there and do amazing things with odds and ends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowy Rivers For This Useful Post:
montanabuffalo (02-09-2018)