• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tecumseh engines......

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Today I got out the old Cyclone Rake, and as usual, it wouldn't start. I put it away with Stabil in the gasoline and ran the gas tank dry before putting it away. Today I put some fresh gasoline in and tried to start it. The gasoline poured out the bottom of the carburetor. I then took the bowl off and found that the gasket had shrunk and needed to be replace. Being practical, I took the engine off the machine and took it with me to the small engine repair facility. Got the new gasket and put it on. The carburetor still had problems. Since the owner is a good friend, one of the techs took a look and said that the float was trashed. He took the carburetor off and the float was collapsed internally. I have never seen such a thing before in my life. I have seen them leak and also have seen them come apart, but I have never seen one implode. Seems that this is a common problem with the Tecumseh engines. After a carb rebuild the engine started. Is it just me, or are all Tecumseh engines junk? I have to of them and both are problems.
Speaking of small engines, what is the thought of using Mobil 1 synthetic in small air cooled engines????

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Junkman,
I too have a 10HP Techowhatever engine and am having a problem getting it started. Its on my log splitter and has been stored all winter. I did the fuel stabilizer as well. It still may be a bit to cold to get a good crank on it since when you pull the starter rope it turns the hydraulic pump as well. I may just opt for a 15 hp Honda with electric start for a newer motor.

JimR

Charter Member
There is a cure or those imploded brass floats. Drill a small hole in it. Make sure you drain the gas out of it and lightly heat it to get all the fumes out. Use an air gun and blow the float back out to size. Then just solder the small hole back up. I've done this a few times with small floats with great success.