• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Pulled out the full tank ,seats front, rear removing that sound fabric. Holy crap what a hydraulic mess. Terrible idea to put a fabric linner in a tub with ATF much better now. My PP friend down south was kind enough to run along side of the KT7 and watch the tracks (for adjustment). I tightened up both sides giving me 3" at the third biggie wheel when lifting the track up with my hands. Had a broken board on the deck over trailer and replaced that.

KT3survivor

:w00t2:what an awesome machine. all I really knew about the KT7 before this thread was the story from the grand mesa years and years ago. very cool that its going to live on, not just for the Kristi name but for bigAl as well.

still gotta wonder what happened to the other 7's :ermm:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
:w00t2:what an awesome machine. all I really knew about the KT7 before this thread was the story from the grand mesa years and years ago. very cool that its going to live on, not just for the Kristi name but for bigAl as well.

Would love to hear the story in person. Can you make it to the McCall ID event Feb 23~26th 2017 ? Best Western in McCall has rooms:hammer:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
You know you're stubbing your toe to geter started when the friggin snow Trac master tells you your old new spark plugs have cracked insulators and parts store is closed

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 212

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
The new plugs went in today and wham bam thank you Mamm fired over first try. Lesson learned don't hit wet plugs with a torch or soft wire brush.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw bigfoot a drivable krusty should have taken a pic with one of the pin up gals Allen used to have around it

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
one of the reasons allen preferred those pin ups is that they didn't move much. it should be a different story now.

Sno-Surfer

Did Don actually make a trip down for this? Looks a little tight inside that thing.:brows: Glad to hear it's running well now. Might get a chance to test it out in the snow soon. :smile:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
intended as humor...

So Don, you are saying you saw said Kristy drive?

Im going with it is a movie prop?!:flowers:

now now now, the KT7 does run and far more importantly, it moves with ease under it's own power...

I witnessed this amazing moment in sno-cat history with my own eyes...

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
AH HA ! the exhaust pipe.... I saw that photo of when Big Al brought Yeti home... The exhaust pipe extended from beneath up the left rear up the side. Time to load Yeti on the trailer and head to the muffler shop.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Some one out there needs to hook marc up with a govoner for a cushman trackster juice drive rigs really need a govoner to control engine rpm that way the operator can focus on driving andcontrol

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Did Don actually make a trip down for this? Looks a little tight inside that thing.:brows: Glad to hear it's running well now. Might get a chance to test it out in the snow soon. :smile:
Icame down to puck a new truck the bigfoot expidition was a perk. Talking with mike about sonnet engines i told him why i came down now he is interested in the fmtv's det his wife puts me on thr no call list

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
You know there's just one thing I haven't taken apart yeti. I always wanted to see what is inside that carburetor Im going to rebuild it. Rebuild kit comes tomorrow.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
super simple on the carb.. If I remember right the only tricky part was an o-ring on the accel pump path,

on the governor idea, I found a Jacobsen turf-cat has a nice belt drive govenor that can be made to fit where the sonnet AC pump would go. on a imp it is an easy up grade.

I have a sonnet guy if you need a AC pulley to drive it......
He also can get you some huge power if you want to go that route. He road races the V4's and twists them way beyond what anyone here would recommend,,,

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I installed a new Weber carb and 4-7 PSI electric lift fuel pump. The other fuel pump just wasn't keeping up and the old carb was missing parts inside. I yanked out the fuel hose from the fuel tank to the filter and pump assembly and installed hard line (just need to get the clamps on). Varoom !

I still think Im going to replace that Cessna pump, rebuild the bracket for it (make a three point base right now it's a two point don't like it) keep the old pump and bracket as spares for rebuild later.... Later lol when is that ?

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I love Summit Racing ! They answer the phone when no one else does....

I figure if I'm going to do this KT7 thing, do it right. Famous last words before my wife catches on to my affliction (Snow Catting) Ah who am I fooling she already knows... If there isn't a movie out there titled "The Good Wife" with a snow cat in it, just come to my house...Aaron you know what I mean lol.

That new 4 to 7 PSI lift fuel pump is too much for the Weber carb I just installed. The Weber likes no more than 2.5~2.7PSI so rather than some gauge less adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Summit Racing fixed me up with "the sticky tape". Going to have a nice little 1 to 4 PSI adjustable regulator with an inline gauge 1 to 15 PSI.

I just wasn't going to install a gauge that went 0 to 100 can't imagine it would be as accurate as I need in the low pressure range.

Summit Racing Tech support was fantastic the fellow knew his product line well....Highly recommend buying from them.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
summit has been good to me. fast shipping
my snow trac has a fuel cell from them.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

Do you have any idea what the paint code for that Kristi Orange is......:whistling:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
call me color blind it looks close to tucker or Thiokol orange or the same color orange the state of Alaska used to paint their dot trucks

I agree... I was hoping to get some input on that thanks...

Don did you see Track Addict thread on 11/20/16 Holly Hell lucky to be alive

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
super simple on the carb.. If I remember right the only tricky part was an o-ring on the accel pump path,

on the governor idea, I found a Jacobsen turf-cat has a nice belt drive govenor that can be made to fit where the sonnet AC pump would go. on a imp it is an easy up grade.

I have a sonnet guy if you need a AC pulley to drive it......
He also can get you some huge power if you want to go that route. He road races the V4's and twists them way beyond what anyone here would recommend,,,

Is his name Mark Ashcroft ?

KT3survivor

Do you have any idea what the paint code for that Kristi Orange is......:whistling:

i have been trying to figure this out. i remember reading that they used a pigment in the fiberglass so that makes me wonder if there is a "code" for it. i have debated chipping off a piece on mine that already needs repair and having the paint shop match it. but mine was originally red so that doesnt really help you. i have also considered just buying a gallon of volkswagen mars red LA3A because its close and i like the color.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter

since they were marketing to the FAA, probably FAA Orange. They call it international orange and is used for visibility of certain FAA/airport support vehicles. There is a published standard for it. It is not the orange/red used for towers.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
since they were marketing to the FAA, probably FAA Orange. They call it international orange and is used for visibility of certain FAA/airport support vehicles. There is a published standard for it. It is not the orange/red used for towers.

We are painting the KT7 back to its original color. Now before you all jump me:yum: I am not a purest and the KT7 as long as I own it will never be original Big Al started that one:brows: The color now makes me feel unwell:hammer:. Theres a reason these cats get painted Orange. Now I'm just hoping if I get it into the paint booth it will get done before McCall or I will be cross country skiing behind you all. Do I wait or do it now.....

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never seen one up close and would like to before the next Tucker runs me down. So whatever will get it to McCall. Had a nice ride in the iron goat and would love to check off the kristi!