• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cushman Trackster gearing

vintagebike

Does anyone have experience with changing the final drive gear ratio on a Cushman Trackster when upgrading to a lower rpm 4 stroke engine? Looks like the old supplier of the parts and conversion service is out of business.

Our Super RestoMod Trackster

15396559-38B9-45FD-9437-A360D79B4D78.jpg

vintagebike

Looks like i have found the source for the new higher ratio pinion gears for the 4 strike conversion. Anyone know if pinion gear service, shimming and adjustment is covered in the Trackster shop manual?
B89EAB8E-8ECB-44A1-AF91-81C5EE6A7235.jpeg

vintagebike

Just found the gear set that will change the engine speed to pump speed ratio from 5500/4200 to 3500/4200. Perfect for my Trackster's little 4 stroke triple.:thumbup: Maybe room for a tiny turbo? :idea:

89F1A7CA-9F83-416C-8401-3E5666A95D1A.jpg

Last edited:

Snowy Rivers

The LS swap seems to be all the rage now......

Distributor ignition kits are now available for the LS

Add a carburetor and you can have an LS OLD SCHOOL STYLE....

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There was a guy at the NH show over the weekend who was talking about this very conversion. Not sure how to find him but he and a buddy had 4 stroke converted ones.

He brought up the gear conversion for whatever benefit which if I remember was the motor turned slower so the gears speed up the pump?

vintagebike

About to do the diff/ratio swap when one of the drive motor's linkage control arm broke. Got the fix-it parts but the Trackster slipped to the bottom of the priority list for this season. It will be ready for 2023 in McCall.

Thefatsquatch

I just bought one, and I was thinking on this. I want to put a big 4 stroke twin in it, and I was thinking I would just use the motorcycle transmission to gear it up. The top motorcycle gear is 1 to .807, so it should turn it just about right to move out just right! 67 horsepower and twin pipes should sound almost exactly opposite from the stock engine.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd make certain the tracks are in good shape. The tracks I've seen are getting old and starting to seperate. the added hp will test the strength.

buildit

About to do the diff/ratio swap when one of the drive motor's linkage control arm broke. Got the fix-it parts but the Trackster slipped to the bottom of the priority list for this season. It will be ready for 2023 in McCall.
Did you finish this project I'm out here on the snake river and have been wanting to build one small enough to take on the trails near you but big enough for 2 people