• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Truck Time

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on the new truck.

May I suggest you look into Fluid Film for spraying the underside to avoid corrosion. Do a search for "Fluid Film undercoating". It's awesome stuff. I use it on just about everything as a corrosion preventative or lubricant.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It'll be going for a professional rust check after Christmas. The body may be aluminum but the frame and suspension are still prone to rust.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First vehicle we've had with a backup camera. What a totally useless thing that is. Doesn't work worth a damn in the winter covered in salt.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Those stupid sensors on the back are also a pain in the a$$ after a snowstorm. The least bit of snow or ice on them and it's a steady squeal every time I put it in reverse. All this technology is fine and great down in California where there's no snow but it's more of a distraction than anything. It's also got this fancy dial on the dash that you can use to back up a trailer. I doubt I'll use that. Just another distraction. Those shiney things on the doors are called mirrors. Used correctly, backing up is simple.

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree about the backup camera in the winter. They are not much help when it is foggy and rainy out either. Had to hook up a trailer last week and had to do it the old fashioned way.

What sensors and squeal are you talking of?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Back up camera's parking assist accident avoidance systems and electronic stability control I can do with out. I come from the old school where you take a test to prove you knows the rules,l and how to control the car. we are dumbing down new drivers now days with all this mandatory wiz bang $hit

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ford has a bunch of sensors around the vehicle that detect when objects are close when you're backing up. You get too close to a vehicle and it starts beeping faster and faster the closer you get. When you are touching the object it lets out a constant squeal through the alarm.

All great until it's covered in snow ice and salt. Then every time you put it in reverse it's like a back up alarm stuck on a constant note.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Back up camera's parking assist accident avoidance systems and electronic stability control I can do with out. I come from the old school where you take a test to prove you knows the rules,l and how to control the car. we are dumbing down new drivers now days with all this mandatory wiz bang $hit
I totally agree with you on that. People have no clue how to drive. I learned on the back bush roads in the wintertime. Come gliding around a corner on a road covered in 6 inches of snow and ice with no sand going 55mph with the back end slid out. Just like a dirt track driver.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

So I discovered something with the ecoboost yesterday on a long desolate stretch of road with no traffic in sight. Did you know that if you disable the traction control then pull the knob for the 2wd 4wd selection which locks the rear axle, you can burn rubber for 100 feet? LMAO Don't ask how I know. That thing is one potent truck. Almost too much power for everyday driving.

That's unfortunately the only thing wrong with them. The aluminum body is so light that it actually compromises traction. Weight within reason actually enhances traction in bad conditions. So maybe in the long run you may end up hauling around sandbags in the bed to replace the steel they took out of the bed..

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's unfortunately the only thing wrong with them. The aluminum body is so light that it actually compromises traction. Weight within reason actually enhances traction in bad conditions. So maybe in the long run you may end up hauling around sandbags in the bed to replace the steel they took out of the bed..

That's what I used to do 'way back when I worked in Oklahoma and was driving back and forth to Dallas. I put 20 sacks of sand in the back and kept them there all winter. In the spring I unloaded and worked the sand into the heavy clay soil of out veggie garden in Dallas.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I once had 6 patio slabs in the back of my 95 dodge ram 2wd v6 regular cab. Not for traction though it did help but for ride. That thing rode like the axle was welded to the frame the springs were so stiff.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to jinx it but I just came from the ford dealership and did an application on a 2017 f150 super crew xtr with the 3.5l engine. It has everything but leather.

Canadian eh!!!
310fc6380f9c473b068944277e5f6adc.jpg
So I had a 2 inch leveling kit installed today. It gives the front end that extra ground clearance for the bush roads in the summer as well as clearing snowbanks left by the plow in the winter. It will also be getting a set of side window vents and a hood deflector. I also got in a shock assist for the tailgate. I'll have to pick and choose the warm days to get everything installed. I love the built in step and grab bar on the rear of the tailgate when it's open. Very handy to get in and out of the box. I used to carry around a small 2 step ladder for that purpose with the old truck.
b4b40136e41b2ada83c206784ed1e9a6.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Disclaimer- there is no vehicle out there that is perfect and maintenance free.

My f150 apparently didn't like that -45 celcius weather we had in January for nearly a month. It's been at the dealership for repairs to the 4x4 system since last Thursday. What happened was the plastic vacuum system developed a leak in the cold and absorbed moisture into the system preventing the 4x4 actuators to fully engage or disengage. That screwed up the actuators which also screwed up the front axle shaft splines. So, I now have a rental until it's fixed. They will have replaced the whole 4x4 system when this is done.

I firmly believe that all automakers should have to make their vehicles last a cold Canadian winter before putting them on the market. What works in Mexico designed for the Californian market is not necessarily going to be good up here.

My f150 is upper midrange as far as options go. Many of those options are useless in the winter. For example, those stupid sensors that detect if an object is close to you when you are in reverse are garbage. They work when they are clean but get any dirt or salt on them and as soon as you put it in reverse, it starts squealing until you disable it. Same for the backup camera. It's useless covered in salt.

Canadian eh!!!

Last edited:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My f150 is upper midrange as far as options go. Many of those options are useless in the winter. For example, those stupid sensors that detect if an object is close to you when you are in reverse are garbage. They work when they are clean but get any dirt or salt on them and as soon as you put it in reverse, it starts squealing until you disable it. Same for the backup camera. It's useless covered in salt.

It’s not just Ford. Same thing with our 2015 Suburban. :hammer:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
s-l1600.jpg

I put this in a new thread earlier. Didn't see we had a NEW TRUCK thread running.

We'll be picking it up this Thursday in Carlisle PA on our way to my son's place in Danville CT.

It's a 2003 accident free one ton out of Texas.

Blue book at 13K,,,; we bought it for $11K
Cummins with a 6 spd. Transmission and clutch are brand new.
Little over 300 K miles but my '95 One ton has that many miles, just had a new clutch also, and runs like a top.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great. The difference between a truck down there and up here. That truck up here would be ready for the scrap heap full of rust with the amount of salt on the roads.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm starting to curse the electronics on my f150. Mine has the remote start. So I started it that way this morning as I went to the garage to start clearing snow. It ran for 10 minutes as it's supposed to then shut off. I go to start it with the key and it won't turn over. So I put it in neutral and back into park. Still nothing. I put a charger on it thinking it must be something with the battery. Nope. Wrong. Still won't go. The dash is now flashing lights like a police car. I did some reading online and I'm not the only one with that problem. I ended up disconnecting the battery cables for 10 minutes to reset the computer. When I did that, it started fine.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So this morning I ended up in a very scary situation at no fault of my own. I was driving my son to school stopped at a red light on the highway in town. The start stop engine feature was activated and the engine shut down when I stopped. When I let off the brakes, the engine was SUPPOSED to start back up. Guess what, it didn't. Instead the stupid computer started spewing error messages on the dash. Meanwhile everyone else is long gone and I'm still trying to get it started and I've got traffic coming up on me at full highway speed from behind.

I quickly turned on the 4 way flashers. Tried cycling the key a few times. Eventually I took it right out of the ignition and tried from scratch. It started and I put it in drive and floored it to get up to speed with the traffic.

Canadian eh!!!