• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm not a tree hugger, I'm just not an idiot...

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Probably also on the gov't's radar due to my beliefs.

Attachments

• better.jpg
    better.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 150
  • better1.jpg
    better1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 154
  • better3.jpg
    better3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 149
  • better2.jpg
    better2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 156

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree, Rusty. There needs to be a common sense balance on things. So far, we seem unable to find that balance. We either rape the land for all that it is worth, or we see the current War on Coal being waged by the False Prophet and his minions and lap dogs in the name of clean air. No balance whatsoever, IMHO.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, very true. Problem is, people who think like I do, I am automatically labelled a hippie tree hugging pansy. Well I'm not. My eyes are open, that's all. I see what's wrong, but what can I do? I'm just one person. All I can do is try to open other people's eyes.
TR, nice to see you are on my side :D

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am on your side. We think alike on this issue.

Living up here one has to be close to nature. Rural environment with lots of small towns and public land. I love the great outdoors. Always have. Hiking, hunting and fishing always at the top of my list. We need to balance the need to preserve what God has given us and wisely use and maintain his blessings. That is the way I see it. Treat the land right and it will treat you right.

I am no dirt worshipping tree hugging liberal, but I am sure most of you have that figgered out by now. But we need clean coal, nuclear along with the other forms of power generation. Our life styles demand good base load energy generation. Windmills and solar panels alone do NOT provide those needs.

leadarrows

Nuclear generates waste we cannot dispose of. Storing is not disposing. Fix that and I am all in. Other wise it's as stupid as it gets.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have worked on numerous nuclear power plants over the years. It is safe. One of my duty stations in the navy was Enterprise. It was safe. I have been around nuclear power in my professional career.

The government has created an environment where disposal is not addressed properly. Preferring to leave it up to the local power plants to store on site. That was never deemed a viable alternative during the design phase of these reactors.

We had the answer. It was Yucca Mountain. Talk to Harry Reid and Barack Hussein Obama for putting the brakes on that. All despite what we already knew to be true:

Extensive studies consistently show Yucca Mountain to be a sound site for nuclear waste disposal
The cost of not moving forward is extremely high
Nuclear waste disposal capability is an environmental imperative
Nuclear waste disposal capability supports national security
Demand for new nuclear plants also demands disposal capability

But none of that matters to the liberals does it.

It's all about the their agenda and the agenda does NOT favor nukes. Preferring to push the pipe dream of the so called affordable green energy of which there is no such thing.

Just like coal, another bad boy to the liburds, it will be legislated out of existence due to liberal agendas.

The problems can be solved but our current government does not want to. Really quite that simple.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No Rusty, you are not alone. Perhaps the best custodians of the land were the owners of the old family farm. They used the land, worked it but maintained it because it was their and their family's livlihood. Todays corporate farm businessmen have more of a rape and pillage mentality.

There's nothing wrong with exploiting resources. It's what we have done since days immimorial and what we need to do to maintain our civilization. No matter what the liberals say, wind and solar will never replace the need for oil, coal and nuclear. That I'm afraid is a fact. What needs to be done is to work on more efficient and clean ways to use them.

One thing that always puzzles me is that just a few miles off the east coast is one of the biggest untapped, clean power sources on the planet, the Gulf Stream. As far as I know we've never attempted to tap it in any meaningful way.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Nuclear generates waste we cannot dispose of. Storing is not disposing. Fix that and I am all in. Other wise it's as stupid as it gets.

TR, what follows is from memory; since you have actual experience in this field please jump in if I am making any totally erroneous
statements.

Admiral Rickover told us that the "waste" should be stored until we knew enough to reuse it, as it still contained a great
deal of power that we simply did not understand how to extract with the then-current state of the art.

Another learned man (at this moment the name escapes me) told us to mix the slurry into a particular type of cement,
form that into bricks, and then stack the bricks in any convenient piece of desert; mixed in that manner there was
no radiation hazard and the nuclear material could be extracted once we learned how to reuse it per Admiral
Rickover.

None of this was done - not because it wasn't possible, but because the political climate in the country at the time
would not support it. Few people understood any of the science but were convinced that any such "waste" was
a clear and present danger no matter how it was handled. Everyone remembered Hiroshima and Nagasaki and knew
that a power plant could turn into a bomb in a split second. Everyone was wrong of course, but that didn't matter.
These fears drove the decisions about nuclear power; in some ways, they still do.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm on board, right up until you try to convince me that storing 50 gallon drums (or any equivalent) of radiation contaminated material for the next 100,000 years is a reasonable idea.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
TR, what follows is from memory; since you have actual experience in this field please jump in if I am making any totally erroneous
statements.

Admiral Rickover told us that the "waste" should be stored until we knew enough to reuse it, as it still contained a great
deal of power that we simply did not understand how to extract with the then-current state of the art.

Another learned man (at this moment the name escapes me) told us to mix the slurry into a particular type of cement,
form that into bricks, and then stack the bricks in any convenient piece of desert; mixed in that manner there was
no radiation hazard and the nuclear material could be extracted once we learned how to reuse it per Admiral
Rickover.

None of this was done - not because it wasn't possible, but because the political climate in the country at the time
would not support it. Few people understood any of the science but were convinced that any such "waste" was
a clear and present danger no matter how it was handled. Everyone remembered Hiroshima and Nagasaki and knew
that a power plant could turn into a bomb in a split second. Everyone was wrong of course, but that didn't matter.
These fears drove the decisions about nuclear power; in some ways, they still do.

Admiral Hyman j. Rickover! One of the great US Navy visionaries of all time, if not the best. Probably the best.

He knew nuclear power as well as any man alive when it came to the practical aspects of it and how to apply it to every day use. No comparision.

Your memory is correct. He was aware of the negative aspects, as well as the positive ones, and had the common sense to understand nuclear power is indespensible to our lives. The navy would be much much less than what it is today without him.