• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac ST4 in British Columbia(?)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been working to track down Snow Trac owners and collectors from wherever I can find them and this morning I opened my computer to find an email from a guy who I believe is in British Columbia, Canada. I've invited him to join us here and I hope he does. Until then, you can enjoy his photos of his restoration.

Attachments

• Snow Trac Oct 2004 013.jpg
    Snow Trac Oct 2004 013.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Snow Trac Dec 2004 010.JPG
    Snow Trac Dec 2004 010.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • Sept 28 2005 002.jpg
    Sept 28 2005 002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,584

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Snow-Trac ST4 in British Columbia

I'm not sure what year this Snow Trac is, but if I had to bet, it would be something after the mid-1960's because it has 2 large rubber tires and 4 small tires on bottom of the track.

You can see that the fuel tank has been moved outside to the left of the cabin over the track. This is the same place that 'schmidt' from Mountain Home Lodge moved his fuel tank. It is also the same location that the military versions of the Snow-Tracs have their fuel tanks (although I'm not sure if the outboard fuel tank on the military versions were simply an extra tank or if the primary tank was moved, if anyone can provide that answer, I'd like to know!)

According to the email, the restoration is not quite complete and there is work to be done on the inside. But the outside looks great! :applause:

Anyway, hopefully we will be joined by another owner to discuss his project and share problems and successes with us.

Attachments

• Sept 28 2005 004.jpg
    Sept 28 2005 004.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Sept 28 2005 005.jpg
    Sept 28 2005 005.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,566

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Another nice looking restore! Good job of finding Snow Trac owners and routing them here Bob. Once you get enough of them here and posting we'll set up a forum just for you guys!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

That is an awesome looking trailer he has his Snow Trac on!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Go Canada! That one has Villi in Iceland challenged!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Very NICE Snow Trac indeed. DOC I dont know if you know but right now and as far as I know this web site is by far the greatest resource on Snow Tracs. I have been looking for a place to discuss these vehicles and have always come up short. Very little information is out there. NOW we Snow Trac owners and droolers have a place to go and get ideas along with actual advice from people who have really worked on them. Just these pictures are a great source of information. Great job BOB!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Did any of you guys notice that the windows are tinted? Bob can you get them to post some pictures of the inside as well?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Did any of you guys notice that the windows are tinted? Bob can you get them to post some pictures of the inside as well?

I'm still hoping they will join here and post their photos. I suspect that the inside is not yet complete because I've not gotten any further updates. And to be honest, I'd rather not post photos for other people, I'd prefer they tell their own stories because I can't properly relay the amount of work they did.
One thing I do know, this is one fine looking Snow Trac! :applause:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Very NICE Snow Trac indeed. DOC I dont know if you know but right now and as far as I know this web site is by far the greatest resource on Snow Tracs. I have been looking for a place to discuss these vehicles and have always come up short. Very little information is out there. NOW we Snow Trac owners and droolers have a place to go and get ideas along with actual advice from people who have really worked on them. Just these pictures are a great source of information. Great job BOB!
Kudo's go to Bob for the FF snowtrac presence. Good job Bob!

Very nice looking Snow Trac. It's my favorite so far.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was digging around in my old emails and realized I had a couple BEFORE photos of the Snow Trac in this thread.

Obviously I should have posted these first! But better late than never!

Attachments

• LoweB4-1.jpg
    LoweB4-1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,504
  • LoweB4-2.jpg
    LoweB4-2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,498

Arlow

For those of you wondering about the ST in BC, I'm here now. I plan to post as many pictures as I can of my restoration project. Someone was asking for a serial no, it's 1688, which I think makes it a 1974. This is the most recent picture of the outside.

In response to fuel tank questions, mine had two interior tanks that were NFG and I wanted to make more interior space, so I bought two aluminium tanks and have mounted one outside and the other will be mounted soon.

I made sending unit adapters to fit in the tanks and welded in so that I have gauges for both tanks. Tanks are 11 gallons each.

Windows are all new and tinted (of course). Paint was all stripped, primed and painted, not sure of paint code for red, but the top is 'O2 Dodge silver. Totally dismantled body when restoring and assembled with all stainless steel fasteners. Belting for tracks are new (1,000 holes to drill!) Don't have to worry about tubes for the tires as they are all foam-filled.

Aluminium roof rack with driving lights, remote spotlight, and backup lights to come. Drive train is a whole new subject (bored and stroked motor, larger drive sprockets custom made).

Some interior photos are attached. Interior not finished. Seating is finished, driver's seat is Air-ride with its own compressor. Dyna mat sound deadening installed on interior. Marine carpet on inside walls and also on speaker boxes. Stereo, CD, mp3, satellite radio, GPS, to come. Flooring is heavy rubber matting.

That's it for now... will post more soon! :beer:

Attachments

• Jan 19 2006 001sm.jpg
    Jan 19 2006 001sm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,546
  • interior.JPG
    interior.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,506
  • interior2.JPG
    interior2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,468

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
That thing is just absolutely awesome!! What a great job on the restoration! Incredible. :a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love the logo embroidered into the seat bottoms and the seat back! Great detail work. I think I have to go and upgrade my interior now, and is it still in the early stages of design! BEAUTIFUL JOB.

But I do have some quesitons. You obviously cut back the original seat platform and intstalled tip up seats. That opens up the rear area for cargo. What do you have planned to haul in the rear of your Snow Trac? Also, to the seats lock into the upright position so they stay folded up or do you have to tie them somehow to keep them upright? Also, where did you get the hinges? I like that idea and may want to steal it! At least for the right side of the cabin. With my restored gas tank under the bench seat on the passenger's side I have no need to have a fold up seat on that side, but it might be nice to have a fold up seat on the opposite side of the cabin.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
villi said:
This Snow Trac is absolutely awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with villi! Nice job Arlow!!! Looking forward to more pics! :)

Arlow

Sorry guys it's taken so long to reply....
I made the seats fold up so I would have more room for the dogs (3 labs). The seats are held up by a strap, and the hinges are boat seat hinges. Aluminium hinges I got from the upholstery shop and they were only $20/pair.
The passenger's seat took a bit of planning, didn't know if I could get it to work. But my wife says it's awesome.

I have a few more pictures, will try to post them soon...

B_Skurka said:
I love the logo embroidered into the seat bottoms and the seat back! Great detail work. I think I have to go and upgrade my interior now, and is it still in the early stages of design! BEAUTIFUL JOB.

But I do have some quesitons. You obviously cut back the original seat platform and intstalled tip up seats. That opens up the rear area for cargo. What do you have planned to haul in the rear of your Snow Trac? Also, to the seats lock into the upright position so they stay folded up or do you have to tie them somehow to keep them upright? Also, where did you get the hinges? I like that idea and may want to steal it! At least for the right side of the cabin. With my restored gas tank under the bench seat on the passenger's side I have no need to have a fold up seat on that side, but it might be nice to have a fold up seat on the opposite side of the cabin.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GREAT! I'm looking forward to the photos. Your ST4 is simply amazing in how you transformed it. I am seriously thinking of putting a fold up seat on the right side of my Snow Trac.

Where did you place the battery?

Where did you run your exhaust?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi,

If you spend any time here ,you will soon realize that I am the guy with the Kristi Snow Cat . I would like to think I can spend my last days putting down Snow Trac's everywhere especially Bogus Bob, Mouse Ear Mike , and Toe Jam Tomma .
But you Sir ,have the BEST looking snow cat I have ever seen !!! Incredible Job !!! Like Bob , I see about a dozen things you have done that are now on my list to do to my Kristi KT7 .
There is already talk among the Kristi Klub members of inducting you into our exclusive Kristi Klub !!! If you have beer money ,your in !!! You also get a cool nick name if you join my klub !!!
Seriously though , That is the best restoration I have ever seen . enjoy it !
Big Al

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Arlow,
Word of caution on the Kristi Klub. They are a bunch of WELCHERS! They bring you in and liquer you up then they steal your wallet and run to the closest 7-11 and buy all the Budweiser they can with YOUR money. Sure theyll give you a cool name in all but thats to sucker you in! Beware my fellow Snow Trac owner, beware!

And yes you do have one of the best looking Snow Tracs I have seen!

Arlow

The battery isn't permanent yet, right now it's just on the floor behind the passenger seat. I'm looking for a good spot for two batteries. Any ideas?

Because I'm running headers, I had to modify the belly pan a bit and have an exhaust fabricated. It comes off the header flange, does a 180, and is tucked underneath and inside the belly pan and then through the frame and the muffler is tucked up close to the floor and the tailpipe runs out the right side close to the back in between the bogey wheels.

B_Skurka said:
GREAT! I'm looking forward to the photos. Your ST4 is simply amazing in how you transformed it. I am seriously thinking of putting a fold up seat on the right side of my Snow Trac.

Where did you place the battery?

Where did you run your exhaust?

Attachments

• belly pan.JPG
    belly pan.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 713
  • exhaust.JPG
    exhaust.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 709

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can show photos of the underside, I would love to see how/where you ran your exhaust.

Arlow

My Mom gave me beer money, and I really want a cool nickname, but I have been warned not to fraternize with Kristi owners. Thanks for the compliments!
:1062:

BigAl said:
Hi,

If you spend any time here ,you will soon realize that I am the guy with the Kristi Snow Cat . I would like to think I can spend my last days putting down Snow Trac's everywhere especially Bogus Bob, Mouse Ear Mike , and Toe Jam Tomma .
But you Sir ,have the BEST looking snow cat I have ever seen !!! Incredible Job !!! Like Bob , I see about a dozen things you have done that are now on my list to do to my Kristi KT7 .
There is already talk among the Kristi Klub members of inducting you into our exclusive Kristi Klub !!! If you have beer money ,your in !!! You also get a cool nick name if you join my klub !!!
Seriously though , That is the best restoration I have ever seen . enjoy it !
Big Al

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
What can we say! Outstanding resto and a keen eye for detail. It just makes me want to get home and start on the 'Tools'!

Nice work and for me, a standard to go for.

:a1: :applause: :tiphat:

Later,:17875:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Arlow said:
In response to fuel tank questions, mine had two interior tanks that were NFG and I wanted to make more interior space, so I bought two aluminium tanks and have mounted one outside and the other will be mounted soon.

ARLOW,
Did you install the second fuel tank yet?