• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 2100???

GKP

Can anyone give me a ball park price on a Thiokol 2100 in reasonable shape? How about some info on them? Thanks.
Gavin

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I wish I could help Gavin , but I don't even know what one looks like , much less cost ???????????

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
10K for as decent running machine but needs TLC. Maybe more depending on condition of course. Tracks will be worn. BigAl go to Saftey Ones's web site and look up Thiokols.

nutsster

I have seen them sell for about $6000 - $8000. :smileywac
They use the OC-12 rearend and five or six foot wide tracks. I had a discussion with Peterson's about one. That wide of a track really works the differential and usually requires band replacement at least once a year if used a lot, particularly grooming. I understand that Thiokol sold thousands of these old machines to the early ski areas across the country. They are way too wide to trailer and usually need a lot of work to bring up to par. So they sell for cheap normally. Big bucks to re-belt the tracks!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Trailering is pretty much out of our league. You need to detrack them. Roll each track up and put in on the trailer. I would guess 500 lbs per track? Maybe more. (thats a guess people not a known factor) Then when you get to where you need to be you need to unload and retrack. Now if it was a dedicated area of use then no big deal as long as the trail is very wide!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
GKP,
Is this the 2100 B you are looking at? It looks and sounds like it is in decent shape for an older 2100B Thiokol. The Track width is 30” the track length is 141”. The total length is 193” the total width is 107” and the Height is 95”.

Ebay listing link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120087213621#description

bin_15x54.gif
price: US $8,000.00

Thiokol Sno Cat

Not sure of the year, we couldn’t find it anywhere on the unit. There are 6759 Hrs on the clock.

This Thiokol Sno Cat has a center mounted cab. It’s a real blast to drive. Well maintained Straight Six Ford, that runs strong. There are hydraulic hookups on the back for a snow plow or snow grooming attachments (none included) with controls in the cab. When everyone else is snowed in you can still get around. We bought this one with the intentions of putting a cab on the back to carry people, but we don’t have the time so we are going to buy a new one. This unit is being offered locally so we have the right to end the auction early. This unit is being sold as is, No Warranty. To qualified buyers this item is available for local inspection and test drive in Sewell, New Jersey up to and including day of auction. NO WARRANTY!

3aa6_12.jpg

3c96_12.jpg

4097_12.jpg

496c_12.jpg

GKP

Thanks for the input! The one I looked at has a BIG enclosed rear cab that should hold 10-15 people. My family would like a snow cat to access their cabin in the winter. It would not be trailered.
I thought it was a hydraulic drive unit. There are two small levers in front of the seat for steering. Do these go to brake bands then?

Attachments

• thiokol-2100-1.gif
    thiokol-2100-1.gif
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,198

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Another comparable for sale by Track Inc.

LOCATED IN CALIFORNIA:
1979 10-PASSENGER THIOKOL 2100 $13,900.00 FOB CALIFORNIA
Ford 390 Engine / Automatic Transmission / Luggage Rack / Pull behind roller for snow grooming
YOU PICK IT UP: ONLY $11,900.00
PassengerLMC.jpg

Hope this info helps,
Bill

GKP

Could someone give me a basic overview of the drive train and steering on one of these? Thanks.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
A 2100 is the first snowcat I ever drove.They had 3-4 of them to groom a alpine ski area.We pulled 'powder makers'. They were deisels and had enough power. I believe they have hyd. assisted brake bands.
The only thing I broke was a drive axle.

Here's a shot of the differential on one that is for sale in NH

Attachments

• pixThiokol2100rearendW.jpg
    pixThiokol2100rearendW.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,079

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
GKP,
Is this the 2100 B you are looking at? It looks and sounds like it is in decent shape for an older 2100B Thiokol. The Track width is 30” the track length is 141”. The total length is 193” the total width is 107” and the Height is 95”.

Ebay listing link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120087213621#description

bin_15x54.gif
price: US $8,000.00

Thiokol Sno Cat

Not sure of the year, we couldn’t find it anywhere on the unit. There are 6759 Hrs on the clock.

This Thiokol Sno Cat has a center mounted cab. It’s a real blast to drive. Well maintained Straight Six Ford, that runs strong. There are hydraulic hookups on the back for a snow plow or snow grooming attachments (none included) with controls in the cab. When everyone else is snowed in you can still get around. We bought this one with the intentions of putting a cab on the back to carry people, but we don’t have the time so we are going to buy a new one. This unit is being offered locally so we have the right to end the auction early. This unit is being sold as is, No Warranty. To qualified buyers this item is available for local inspection and test drive in Sewell, New Jersey up to and including day of auction. NO WARRANTY!

View attachment 10771

View attachment 10772

View attachment 10773

View attachment 10774
mtntopper, I restored that 2100 machine about 6 years ago, frame off w/new belts , new roof,floor in cab, wiring,etc.
narrowed the chassis,tracks and installed the narrower 1200 spryte axles throughout.
all new bearings and seals in the wheels .
Just before I sold it ...bad ice storm the tracks pulled branch across the hood dented it and broke the new windshield. paint is faded from sitting outside....its new kubota orange.

Thefatsquatch

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought this machine and wanted to post some pictures of the complete restoration it got. I bought it from a great guy in NJ, and dragged it across to Washington state.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.PNG
    IMG_2353.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 398

Snowy Rivers

Sweeet looking JOB

We are bring my Packer home Sunday....I wish it looked half as good as yours did when you bought it

Thank you for sharing