• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier SW 48 starter

snowed-in

I have a 1986 Bombardier SW 48 and the starter went. It has a 300 cu.in Ford straight 6. I assumed that I could just go to a normal parts store and pick one up since it's a common ford engine. Well 3 new starters later I realize this is not the case. There must be a difference in the flywheel or something. I wish I had kept the original starter that I took out so I could compare the bendix. I tried to shim the starter however the bendix is still kicking out and hitting the flywheel. If anyone can give me any helpful advice it would be very much appreciated.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I have a 1986 Bombardier SW 48 and the starter went. It has a 300 cu.in Ford straight 6. I assumed that I could just go to a normal parts store and pick one up since it's a common ford engine. Well 3 new starters later I realize this is not the case. There must be a difference in the flywheel or something. I wish I had kept the original starter that I took out so I could compare the Bendix. I tried to shim the starter however the bendix is still kicking out and hitting the flywheel. If anyone can give me any helpful advice it would be very much appreciated.

Well not keeping the old starter until you got a replacement is a Boo-Boo. You will have to count the teeth on the ring gear. Mark the teeth and slowly rotated the crank and count the teeth. I would mark them every five teeth or so as not to lose count of them. Try to get a rough idea of the flywheel diameter too, that will help with the pitch and tooth count. From there you can get ahold of the manufacture and find out what they use for that model.

Oh, and when you go to the auto parts store to by anything than isn't a car, don't tell them that. They will just say "We can't help you", tell them it is out of a late model (Car of that type engine) and they will spend the time to help you and look it up in the books verses computer that tells them nothing.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry...slightly off topic but I can't resist...I've been noodling one of these SW48's...reasonably priced, readily available, and they look like fun but they're too wide for small neighborhood sidewalks (I believe). I want to buy one eventually for my kids (soon as they're out of diapers), to make money clearing driveways...put a blower on the front. It would be so much fun I may do it and they can stand at the door and collect the cash...but then what was the purpose again? ;) Better yet, buy them a couple of older ones that need work and help them fix-up and personalize their rigs.... that'll set them onto the right path of snowcat addiction and educate them early on the mechanical side of things. Start 'em young I say! ;) OK...excuse my interruption of the start thread...

My advice on these Ford Industrial engines is to stick with Ford industrial parts. Others may disagree but I have had several over the years and using standard Ford parts always lead to an expensive disappointing experiance. In the case of a Bombi I used to have the carb, distributer, flywheel, starter ring and starter were all different from "pinto" engines.The Bombi's engine was made in England! Luckly at the time there was a local Ford Industrial engine parts house and they got me up and running. The parts are very expensive but when your many miles from nowhere they are worth it. Do a Google search and I'm sure you can find a dealer who will help out. Also I have found over the years it is usually better to rebuild the original than take a chance on a rebuild from the local parts house.

snowed-in

You all have been very helpful. However I just wanted to say that I no longer am snowed in. I put another shim in the bottom of the starter. When I tried to start it the drive seemed to not even reach the flywheel. So I once again removed the starter. This time I grinded down the bolt holes and edge of the starter in hopes that it was just not going in far enough. I re-installed it and BINGO!!!! The cat starts better than it did the day I bought it. I still plan on getting the right starter for the machine, but until then it's back to plowing and having a little fun. Once again thanks for the helpful replies to my problem. You guys are the best.