• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

may have found issue on my rebuild

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
As some of you know the rebuild on my ST4 keeps having issues...Some family, some work (time) and some ...

Rebuilding the tracks has proven a challenge. Parts that fit yesterday don't today. The metal bends in ways that defy physics. Things don't work as advertised.

Then today, as I was going through the invoices I noticed two of my suppliers. Perhaps I should have paid better attention to their names.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 729

Beartooth

Now that's Funny! If it makes you feel better, I took care of two coyotes this week. They are now nicely stretched in a warm shop!

Doug

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
And then again, sometimes the right parts show up.

Attachments

• Photo1473.jpg
    Photo1473.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 537

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Two very long years later, she is back together. Now for a snow test.

Attachments

• Photo1497.jpg
    Photo1497.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 437

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately family duties preclude my attendance at the McCallin all cats event. If I could, I would.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
New (since purchase 1-2013):
engine 1600 single port
bronze sprockets (all 4)
big tires
belting
bearings All big wheels, 50% small,
all bogie axle seals
thrust bearings, holders,seals on variator
all track bolts etc, clamping pads
Drive chains
all wiring, lights.

Rebuilt/modified/(major)repaired:
variator sheaves
grousers
gas tank
drivers seat.

Did something (major), didn't work as I hoped:
Brakes (need booster for disc)

Major suppliers
MN outdoors: Belting, big tires
Snowtrac Nome: Variator Sheave
Jack Daniels Distillery: Thought solvent, (gets Ideas flowing)
Applied Technologies: Bearings, Seals
Christer Morlind: Track guides
Eugene Fastener: Track bolts
Bombi1: Bronze drive sprockets

Mega appreciation to:
The folks at forumsforums: Ideas, knowledge, Been There Done That, knowing their were others going through the same issues.

Wife who understood I had a "VW powered mistress"

Eternal Damnation and or lack of snow : to the jerk who sold me a pack of outright lies. Yes, I know I was buying a used machine, but I wasn't expecting outright lies that I couldn't easily prove, until way too late.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
You don’t happen to have a part number for a readily available wiper motor do you. I have a Bosch that has a short and the number doesn’t cross to anything in the VW catalog. Internet search doesn’t have any hits that are in English.

e2a70dd82c120109e94dd7124d09ca51.jpg

95ef1f986067619b2e7971256050828b.jpg

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
No, that is the number in my parts cat. I will look at mine in daylight to see if it has different one. Jbugs does rebuilds on wiper motors. They could probably do yours. I'm betting it is some sort of standard bosch, with a unique gear/mounting/switches.

Sorry, but that is one part I haven't had to replace...yet

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it wasn't Brundage with the rest of the gang, but at least she was in the snow. Found a couple more things to fix, but minor issues mostly.

Attachments

• Photo1499.jpg
    Photo1499.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 318

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
CT I remember the day you first came here with your machine, that many of us had seen here before you bought it.

I know it has been a long costly pull to get to were you are now. But I am also quite sure no one else would have bought that machine and given it the love and care it needed to survive yet another generation. Use it wisely, and enjoy it for the many years to come it will give to you with very little trouble...

You've made it, and it is yours to take you to were ever your destination. Congratulations, your a rare breed, crazy like a fox, just like the rest of us here!! :thumbup:

Best regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
every time I read an update on the project I think about the Before, and Yes the after is quite impressive.

I wondered how to craft a message like that, well said.

and when did you paint it?!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that paint had been freshly applied by the previous owner, and then deemed "rebuilt/restored" for the quick resale.....:unsure:

As I recall....

Regards, Kirk

Yep, all bright and shiny. Btw, it's flaking off. really poor job of surface prep from what I can see. But it did its job, lull the unsuspecting bumpkin into thinking the cat had been taken care of. Like so many here I got the crash course in snowcat maintenance, refurbishment: "No learning curve too steep, no pockets too deep".
CT

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As I recall a snowmobile club had pulled a rather huge groomer with it, in New York or some near by State..

There was a You Tube of it pulling the groomer out there some were..

And then the shyster stepped into the fray....

But still now CT knows what he has, the good and the very little bad left to deal with. Snow Tracs are, for my Experience, simple and reliable with proper maintenance.. And of course wise operation.. Beware that not all 80/90 gear oils are correct. You need the type that is made to work with brass parts in the trans/variator...

YOU have done the job, and now deserve the rewards. Enjoy!

Regards, Kirk

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, took her (sno-vit) out for a second shakedown run with the wife along for the ride. About 5 miles in the oil temp, cylinder head temp and the alt light indicated an issue. Unfortunately we were on a rather steep grade at the time and I had to go forward. after a safe parking and cool down, we were able to turn around, and once started downhill coast (no engine) most of 3 miles. Then the run 3 minutes, cool 30 started. Belt had 10-12 hours on it. tensioned per the book.

On the good side, dealt with some pretty bad ruts, and the tracks stayed right where they were supposed to be.

Attachments

• snomissing.jpg
    snomissing.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 215
  • fanshred.jpg
    fanshred.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 212
  • annsnovit18mar17.jpg
    annsnovit18mar17.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 216

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Sequence of events: "that doesn't smell right"
+15 seconds Alt light
+30 sec cyl head temp visible moving
+45 sec Oil temp starts moving

took about three minutes to get to a stop spot. Cyl head 375-395.

while waiting for cool down: Hear gas boiling in carb.

I was on a slope that has my 4-runner spinning tires in good weather if I'm not careful. Was performing great until then. Sloppy snow like that at meow #2. Tracks self cleared pretty well.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
be sure the airhorn isn't sucking in hot air from the engine bay. a good seal is needed to the hood. car weather stripping works good from the cowling
my new muffler smoked till the paint was burned off.
you had no belt?