• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What temp is average in your house..

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm gone from my house....sometimes up to 12 hours at a time on long days..I do hvac installs..everybody thinks they need heat and air..LOL...I shut mine down when i leave in the morning..i think 55 is the lowest it will go...on my thermostat..and when i get home i bump it up a little..never above 65...had some friends over and there wifes said they were freezing..To hot for me..I have gas forsedair(sp?) so it only takes a few minutes..to run it up to what ever setting...Maybe its just me ..from running inside and out..during the day..but anything over 62-65 seems to hot..Some of the house's i'm in durring the day have to be close to 80...B,:doh:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
62 all winter long.

Don't have central A/C so it is what it is during the summer.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
We keep ours on 60 in the winter , before my wife gets home I build a fire and it stays plenty comfy . :biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
70 winter when we are home, but 65 when the house is vacant.

72 summer when we are home, kicked up to 76 when the house is vacant.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Electric base board heat here. I only have two running. One in the kitchen, and one in my room - set at 60. When we are home we have a portable free standing fan forced 1500 watt one in the living room and one in the other bedroom. Brings it up to 75.. then we turn them off in the morning.
So, 75 max. But the average is more like 67 or 68.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe putting Average in thread title was ..misleading..I was really wanting to find out Winter temps..in your house..I always have on joggins and a sweat shirt..when at home..Maybe i should of said who's married to a cold blooded woman..LOL..:whistling:...After a few hours I didn't care if she was cold or not...:pat::hide::hide:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My thermometer by the stat says 75 I think is is lying.
I need to get a second opinion.
I have a fleece jacket on and I am still cool.

tom

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were thinking along the same lines BR. I was going to ask if you were asking when the wife was in a good mood or in a bad / cold mood cause that can affect the 'average' temp in the house. :yum:

67-68 average winter temp. If the cooking is happening in the kitchen the temp will rise to 70-71 in the family room which is a bit warm for me. Wife does usually sit with a blanket over her lap at the 68 degree temp.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My thermometer by the stat says 75 I think is is lying.
I need to get a second opinion.
I have a fleece jacket on and I am still cool.

tom
They sell digital ones that will do a better job of showing the temp. Most have a wire you can put outside so you get both the inside and outside temp.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Heating season...

70 from 0600 to 0800
62 from 0800 to 1500
70 from 1500 to 2200
62 from 2200 to 0600

Non heating season is too variable to list. Only run the air when it gets over 80F, then have it set at 76F

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I almost started this exact same thread because a few of the people, friends and family, who have passed through the house over Christmas have complained that our house is "cool". They were all Texans so have no real idea what "cool" actually is.

We keep our house at 68° during the winter. If you're actively doing stuff and moving about, we feel that's a comfortable temperature. Now, I will admit that if you're just sitting around, doing nothing, watching TV, it can feel a little chilly but both my wife and I will wear a sweater or cardigan in that case and if I catch a nap in my chair I will use a fleece throw.

During the summer we keep the whole house at 76° mainly because it gets hot in the kitchen when my wife is working there. Me ... I'm usually outside all summer so 76° feels downright cold when I step inside.

I don't know what's happened to me. When I was a kid in Scotland, 68° was hot summer day, definitely T-shirt weather. My blood must be getting thinner as I get older.

What I can't understand is that we have friends who keep their house about 80° during the winter and at 70° during the summer. I would have thought that if 80° is a comfortable temperature during the winter, it would have been a comfortable temperature during the summer too .... and a darned sight cheaper.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I have seen it Hotter than Hell and also Colder than a witches Teat in here . That being said we try to keep it 70 in the winter and 76 in the summer . Mothers mood can change that very quickly ......

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Woodstove heat so it varies.

I keep my bedroom window open in the winter. I can't stand it being warm or stuffy.

There is radiant heat installed in this house. It's interesting that the thermostat can be set lower with radiant but i can feel when the floor is on (and get too hot).

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They sell digital ones that will do a better job of showing the temp. Most have a wire you can put outside so you get both the inside and outside temp.

This temperature is on the digital thermometer sitting above the thermostat,
the one in the thermostat hsent moved in 10 years i have lived here.

Plus with the wife, daughter, and her 2 rug rats I find it more peace and quiet in my dungen in the basement (a couple of degrees colder I'm sure).

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
75 year round. Bump it to 76 for showers or hot tub in the morning and then back to 75. I have pex radiant heat everywhere plus a coil in the air handler. I only ever turn half the basement heat on as the sun will make it too warm in the daytime.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
YOU got my curiosity up.
Ok got out the fluke 87 thermometer says 75.2 fluke 72

The dudgeon on the fluke is 70,1

tom