• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Happy ending

PJL

We have had an epic (by western Washington standards) several feet of snow dump this past week. Typical heavy wet and just barely freezing temps.

Yesterday we got a call of a group of 5 folks that failed to return from a day trip into the woods. The area has no cell service. We got the cat out and after a 13 mile run found them sitting in their stuck truck. They had gas, food, and water so they were doing okay. 4 adults and 1 small child fit easily in the cat.

The snow was 3-4 feet deep. It was so soft it sunk rather than floated on top. I had snow over the tracks and rolling up over the headlights. At times it was in first gear with the pedal to the floor. It kept on rolling. Used about 28 gallons gasoline to run 4 hours. It was so deep the snowmobiles got stuck and the tracked side by side broke down. The fuel injection ran great. I'll post pics later.

I have to say they did a lot of things right. Told people where they went and when they expected to return. Had plenty of gas, food and water. Waited for help in the shelter of a warm Toyota Tacoma. One guy tried to walk out and barely made it a mile before returning to the truck. From a rescuer perspective it was perfect.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/four-adults-child-rescued-near-goldmyer-hot-springs-area/919242397

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
PJL,

Did you watch the Super Bowl? I ask because there was an extremely well done ad that was a tribute to First Responders. It has become fairly common today to thank military personnel for their service. I think this is both a nice gesture and long overdue, but First Responders similarly deserve significant credit. Many times they're volunteers, but either way they put their own lives at risk in saving others; and they do this time and again, and they do it willingly.

On the one hand I'm sure it can be rewarding to be thanked quite literally for saving someone's life, but I'm sure it can be frustrating to put yourself in peril to save some knucklehead from his own self-induced stupidity.

I would sincerely like to have a beer, or two with you and listen to some of your stories. I'll bet you have some great ones!

Thank you for your service!!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very awesome. They must have been excited to see or hear that cat coming to the rescue!

Must be a great feeling and a fun trip home for rescues with that outcome.

Thanks

PJL

Thank you Blackfoot and Addict. Pics as promised.

Attachments

• 1565.jpg
    1565.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 1568.jpg
    1568.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0360.jpg
    DSC_0360.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC_0361.jpg
    DSC_0361.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0362.jpg
    DSC_0362.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 1567.jpg
    1567.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 1566.jpg
    1566.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 301

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is unusual for people to make good decisions after the initial poor one. Had they not provided travel plans to the family,this may have turned out very bad. The news report should reflect the good decisions they made as a public service. Good work PJL and crew.

PJL

We towed the UTV out behind a Pinzgauer. The Tacoma will be there a few more days.

undy

Some mighty happy faces in the back of that cat.
Is that that fancy 4x4 SAR Pinzgauer up in Redmond I've heard so much about??

(Nevermind, I see from his facebook page that it's the same one.)

PJL

Yep, same Pinz. I've ridden in it, cool rig. The owner pretty much restored it himself. He drove in my compacted tracks and had no problem.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm not sure if I went to wrangell at a good time or not. I hear your pretty busy.

jimvt

PJL

Jim maybe you are the smart one.

The belt broke in the UTV. They installed the spare and got a mile out of it. It's going to the dealer to see what's going on.

Pic is a local cat owner returning the favor. Our range was buried. Friend of Jim and I.

Attachments

• Plumas Cat.jpg
    Plumas Cat.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 207

alryA

Thanks for letting us know what happen. Running machines in deep snow is tough on everything, and we replaced CTV belts yearly.

Attachments

• defenderindeep22.jpg
    defenderindeep22.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 208

rockhead

I clearly need to get out more, I saw the thread title and expected to see a snowcat parked at a massage parlor :th_lmao:

PJL

It was a long week and "Snowmageddon" is finally over. Ran the cat on 3 real missions and 2 more training rides with some new operators. Put about 15 hours on the cat. It ran flawlessly. Only issue was an overheated fuse on a non critical circuit. The 30 year old fuse holder is a little weak.

Got some great PR too. 2 separate TV stations came out to see it and the county executive had to drive it around.

Thanks for the good vibes and the offer from a Tucker owner to drive up and help us out. The former Plumas County Trackmaster even got put to work.