• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'Are we living in the last century of our civilization?'

Cityboy

Banned
This is probably just another installment from the "Church of Global Warming", but with the oil prices we are facing in our oil based economy, it is getting hard to ignore some of the doom and gloom predictions. What if we DO run out of oil? Or food? Ever stop & ponder it? This is a video trailer for a 2-hour broadcast coming this fall. You have to suffer through a 30 second commercial before the video:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5050622

So, whadda you think guys? I've seen panic pieces like this form time to time for most of my lifetime. Every generation thinks the world is going to end in "this" (their) generation. World War 1 was thought to be "the end", then WW2 was "surely" the end. I remember the new "Ice Age" that was predicted in the 1970's, and now "Global Warming" which is becoming "Climate Change". It seems to me there has always been some panic about the future, and the political Left always has the solution: "More Taxes" to fix the problem.
icon6.gif

Scientists From Around the Globe Join ABC News in a Forum on Surviving the Century

Join the Debate: We Want Your Thoughts, Videos on the Earth's Future

By SARAH NAMIAS

June 12, 2008—

Are we living in the last century of our civilization? Is it possible that all of our technology, knowledge and wealth cannot save us from ourselves? Could our society actually be heading towards collapse?
According to many of the world's top scientists, the answer is yes, unless we take action now.

This September, in Earth 2100, a dramatic ABC News 2-hour broadcast, the greatest minds across the globe will join together in a countdown to the year 2100 to tell us what we must do to survive the next century & And what may happen if we don't.

The time to act is now, says Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute.

"The 21st century is going to be the century which determine whether we live or die as a sustainable species," Gleick said. "As populations grow, as our use of resources grows, I think we get closer and closer to that edge."

Experts say that extreme changes in climate, combined with dwindling resources, famine, war and disease have the potential to create a post-apocalyptic world in less than a hundred years. Harvard University and Woods Hole climatologist John Holdrens says we cannot continue going down the same path.

"If we continue on business as usual, we are going to see more floods, more droughts, more heat waves, more wildfires, more ice melting, faster sea level rise," Holdren said.

"We really have less than a decade to start getting this right. If we're still dragging our feet in 2015 I think it really becomes at that point almost impossible for the world to avert a degree of climate change that we simply will not be able to manage without intolerable cost and consequences."

In order to avoid this chilling future, we have to first imagine it. In an unprecedented Internet event, ABC is inviting people from around the world to bring the future to life.

We are asking you to use your imagination to create short videos about what it would be like to live through the next century if we stay on our current path. Using predictions from top experts, we will brief participants on global conditions in the years 2015, 2050, 2070 and 2100 -- and we want you to describe the dangers that are unfolding before your eyes.
Submitted videos will be combined with the projections of top scientists, historians, and economists to form a powerful Web-based narrative about the perils of our future. We will also select the most compelling reports to form the backbone of our two-hour primetime ABC News broadcast: Earth 2100, airing this fall.

Click HERE for more about how to get involved.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I kinda look at it this way .

Way back in 1971 I was making about $3 an hour and gas cost about 25 cents a gallon . About 1/12 of my hourly wage for a gallon of gas .
Now the average guy makes $20- $30 and hour and its $5 a gallon or 1/4 to 1/6 of a hours wages for a gallon of fuel . Ouch !!! Thats quite a hurt on the old pay check !

Are we sure its gettin better in America ???