• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Variator

Usha

Hi everyone
I am looking to rebuild an St4 variator unit from one of the machines:hammer::hammer: I have and was wondering if any body has come across the templates to set the bevel gears in the Variator unit.They are mentioned in some of the spare parts manuals as template drawing/s 23137-3,31237-3 and 31237-2 but I have not found any measurements for them.Any help would be much appreciated.
Usha Australia

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You may want to send a Private Message to member LYNDON. He seems to know more about the Variators than any other member.

Lyndon works in remote regions of Alaska and sometimes doesn't check in here for weeks at a time so getting in touch with him may be a bit difficult depending on where he is along the oil exploration path of his firm, but its likely he can help.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HI: yeah were pretty busy up here. Having trouble with a 20 MW GE Turbine (about 30,000 HP) and some trouble with our emergency generators, lovingly reffered to as:"the three stooges". My team of sparkies is busy temporarying in a 2 Megawatt diesel genset. I suppose that if we were not an oil company we couldn't afford the 1800 gallons of fuel a day it burns, to say nothing of the 1 gallon a second the big turbine uses!

The clearence on the bevel gears: I never knew the actual spec on it, but a machinist and a VW Transmission guy said "just enough clearence so that they don't run tight". Some of the variators I have torn down and rebuilt had thin shims to adjust the large bevel gear horrizontally along the axel shafts. They are made of substaintial enough material(hardened) that they never seem to wear out. Usually when one is rebuilding a Variator, the gears in the transmission for the 4 forward speeds and reverse may be damaged and require replacement. The Syncro's always have to be replaced, and the shifting forks get bent and sloppy and should be replaced. On a couple ocassions I have seen the small bevel gear fall off the verticle shaft due to incorrect installation of the castel nut and it's associated cotter pin. The cotter pin has to be mashed in and trimmed off just right or it rubs on the gears and being soft eventually breaks and falls off. The gear usually survives to be reused.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh, Lyndon, were your ears burning because we were talking about you?