• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Drinking water pitcher/filter/setup

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our city water has a chlorine taste.
Our well water needs a mammoth system to make it tolerable for drinking.

Would like to generally use the city water for drinking but thinking about a filter.

Anyone have any thoughts on the filtered pitchers from companies like ZeroWater, Berkey or Pur?

I got price shock when I saw the cost of replacement filters.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Chlorine or Chloramine?

Chlorine you can make your filter - buy a housing and get a non-brand name charcoal block cartridge.

Chloramine NH2CL is Ammonia NH3 and Chlorine CL bonded together. Most municipalities now use Chloramine since it is more stable in water and does not dissipate easily. A very large oversize carbon block may remove most of it, but the carbon will quickly lose its effectiveness.
There are chemicals you can add to the water to make it dissipate (not very safe) or you can put in a small reverse osmosis system on one faucet. A real RO system is not cheap either, but it works.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys.
I have a good whole-house filtration system. I only use it when on well water but I guess it's time to turn it on for city water as well. It probably needs a tune up (particularly change out the charcoal tank) so I'll get that going.