• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help wanted please

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have just resprayed my ex US Air Force M38 Jeep in as near to its original blue as I can manage, but I don't know what markings should be on it apart from the tyre pressures over the wheels. Does anyone have any information or better still pictures, please?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
An unrestored M38A1...

FRONT_2.jpg

RIGHT.jpg

REAR.jpg

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Remember, simple is best. Some people like to put all kinds of fancy 'cool' decorations, logos, and insignias on them, but those just aren't authentic.

But you should probably just give up and ship it to me. :thumb:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Oops, sorry, just noticed you were talking about a USAF jeep! :pat: Nevermind... :yum:

Did a little more digging around...

Looks like the USAF markings were extremely simple, similar to my USAF Vehicle Registration Numbers thread. Color should have been 'strata blue' with yellow lettering. Lettering should have been as follows...

On the hood, centered...
U S AIR FORCE (in 2" letters)
YYUNNNNN (in 2" letters, designations according to my thread linked above.)
For Official Use Only (in 3/4" letters)

Other markings may be similar to the Army jeeps above, such as the overfill warning, but may also include TAC, MAC, SAC, etc for the org it was attached, but definitelyno stars.

Still looking for pictures, but the other vehicles in the 'Registration' thread may give hints. :thumb:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting closer...

165_full.jpg

USAFJeep01Medium.jpg

AirForceMUTT.jpg

The middle jeep with the old fart sitting on it may be the closest to true.

The last one is a 'Mutt', so doesn't apply, but seems to confirm my suspicion that most USAF jeeps, if not all, were designated 'K' and were for security/police use.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have just resprayed my ex US Air Force M38 Jeep in as near to its original blue as I can manage, but I don't know what markings should be on it apart from the tyre pressures over the wheels. Does anyone have any information or better still pictures, please?

Anita, sorry I can't help you with this project but I will probably be there with Marcia & Melen to inspect it next summer so I will be expecting it to be done and looking good :hammer:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you for your help, I have photos of the M38, (the one with the old fart sitting on it!) I haven't seen it, but have been sent pictures of it. My Jeep is an M38 too. I am not sure if I have the colour right as I didn't know it was supposed to be Strata blue and could only try to match the original colour (underneath all that yucky green!) as best as possible. I will not have time to put the lettering on before it goes to the Great Dorset Steam Fair along with the Horsebox and the snowtrac as I am supposed to go at 5.00am tomorrow! I will post some piccys when I return. Also when I return I need to see about getting new canvas for it - the roof and the sidescreens that it has are not off an M38 and don't fit anywhere!! I am told that it is better to get them from America as there as so few M38s in the UK that no one seems to have the proper patterns. Probably will need more help when this happens.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
More M38A1 pics with USAF markings, but wrong colors for a post-'54 jeep. The markings of the bottom one appear to be the most correct.

M38A1_021.jpg

M38A1_022.jpg

M38A1_023.jpg

side 72dpi reduced.JPG]

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Here are a few pictures of my Jeep taken at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, I am not sure about the colour, it will have to be resprayed when I get the Strata blue. I could only try to match the colour of one of the back lights - it was guess work as I didn't have the name of the proper colour at the time. I need to do something about the canvas as it doesn't fit where it touches and is completely wrong for this Jeep. I need too, to work out some plausable numbers etc to put on it - any ideas?

I should like to post some pictures of the Great Dorset Steam Fair, but I haven't a clue as to what Forum to put them in?

Attachments

• P9030004.JPG
    P9030004.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 347
  • WILL 3.JPG
    WILL 3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 347
  • WILL 4.JPG
    WILL 4.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 356