• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacing shocks on older Ford truck

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm about to help my neighbor replace the shocks in his mid-80's truck.

Any pointers/suggestions?

I'm guessing we're going to have to torch or otherwise snap off the bolts.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, soak those nuts down real good with either Kroil, or PB Blaster. If that doesn't work, heat up the nuts with an O/A torch. Sometimes those are studs and not bolts, and you really don't want to replace those. They're pretty tough, just don't use too big of a cheater. A 1/2" airdrive works nicely too.
Good luck, I find little joy in working like you're about to. I used to like doing things like that, that was before arthritis, tendonitis, and a couple other itis's starting getting me. And I'm a young 54!!:yum::beer::beer:

PS, A nice supply of adult beverages helps too!!!:drink::1062::thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks John,

I think he started spraying PB on them last night.
I'll take a close look to see if they're bolts or studs before putting a bar on it.
I was hoping to use the impact to get them off but he didn't think we could get it in there.

I have my share of "...itis" myself. This week it's primarily been back-pain...itis.

Beverages will obviously be available. Kind of like that thread about changing oil awhile back (where it took 2 days, 54 steps and a couple cases of beer to get the oil changed).

dirtybernie

take a good look at the upper shock mounts. i'm pretty close to you (ri) and around here they rot away or are very thin from being rusted so if theyre not gone be very carefull or you will break them. my daily driver a 1986 f150 has the drivers side shock held up by a coat hanger! i have the new mount sitting on the front seat but it wont move!:yum: