• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel pumps.

Bannedjoe

I'd like to find the guy that came up with putting an electric motor in the tank along with the gasoline.

It used to take, what, a half hour at most to replace a fuel pump sitting conveniently on the side of an engine?

It wasn't even bad when they made it an electrical pump and mounted it to the frame.

So why did they did they have to put it in the tank???

The pump went out in my Grand Jeep Cherokee.
The tank has to come down.
Along with the tank coming down, the entire frame mounted hitch system will have to come with it, along with probably the lower rear plastic bumper section.

I have the skills, but not the proper shop nor physical abilities to do this job myself, so I must have it towed somewhere.

A simple $20 part of yesteryear and a half hours time, has now turned into an almost impossible $700 job.

And just fucking why couldn't the manufacturers put in an access door in the body above the tank so a person could get to the pump?
Yes, we all know why.

I recently saw a video (can't remember the car) where they're now putting the fuel pump inside the engine, down in the valley, under the fuel intake manifold.

It's shit like this that makes me hate the world we live in today.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you thought about just adding an external electric pump ?

We cut a 6" hole in the bed of a pick up to change a pump :)

Bannedjoe

Have you thought about just adding an external electric pump ?

We cut a 6" hole in the bed of a pick up to change a pump :)

The thought occurred to me after I watched a video of some guy hack his spare tire compartment up to get to it, but decided against it.
The other issue is that the fuel level float is part of the pump, and they both appeared to fail.

I've done fuel pumps on pickups, and two guys can remove the bed pretty quick to get to the tanks.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The thought occurred to me after I watched a video of some guy hack his spare tire compartment up to get to it, but decided against it.
The other issue is that the fuel level float is part of the pump, and they both appeared to fail.

I've done fuel pumps on pickups, and two guys can remove the bed pretty quick to get to the tanks.

I think if its fuel injected the pump has to be in the tank to keep vapor lock at bay. when I was working thru a vapor lock problem on a carburated engine I think I read that. Marty