• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CNN ratings decline even more, and staff getting nervous about more layoffs

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
July 13, 2019
It's your Saturday Schadenfreude! CNN ratings decline even more, and staff getting nervous about more layoffs
By Thomas Lifson

https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...staff_getting_nervous_about_more_layoffs.html

It couldn't happen to a more deserving network (though MSNBC is a close second, but without the nauseating pretentiousness of the cable news pioneer that has gone from 100% market share to third place and falling). Brian Flood at Fox News:

CNN's audience shriveled in the second quarter of 2019, averaging only 541,000 total viewers, less than half Fox News Channel's 1.3 million average. But CNN struggled even more during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. ET, finishing as the fifteenth most-watched network on basic cable behind networks such as TLC, Investigation Discovery and the Hallmark Channel. CNN averaged a dismal 761,000 primetime viewers while FNC averaged 2.4 million.

The Hill media guru Joe Concha told Fox News that CNN's freefall may not be slowing.

"The numbers warrant concern, yes. Q2 was a particularly news-rich quarter highlighted by the release of the Mueller report and all the aftermath and controversy following it, plus the launch of several high-profile Democratic candidacies including Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg to propel 2020 coverage into high gear," Concha said. "It may only get worse in Q3 given the numbers we're already seeing."

CNN has a new owner: AT&T. For reasons unknown to me, they are sticking with Jeff Zucker as boss, and have even expanded his responsibilities.

Here is what any competent manager would worry about, though there is no indication that Zucker has any concern:

"You know the answer," a longtime CNN employee said when asked if staffers are panicked about the ratings decay before declining further comment.

Another current CNN employee told Fox News that there is widespread concern about the network's ratings problem, but high-profile hosts such as Anderson Cooper remain unfazed.

The brand-name hosts on the network, no matter how anemic their ratings, usually have contracts (negotiated by their agents or lawyers) that protect them. The lower-level staffers, who book the guests, apply the makeup, write the scripts, post the chyrons, and stock the green rooms with snacks, among myriad other tasks, are the ones who bear the brunt of layoffs — which makes them fearful and angry at their superiors who wear the makeup and get the camera time.

This can lead to embarrassing situations on air.

More schadenfreude!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
AT&T'S deep pockets will only carry CNN so far. Once the shareholders start to get sick of that money pit, something will give. CNN was sold for a reason.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When CNN was newly on the air, I thought it was the best thing ever.
Breaking news round the clock, Larry King live.
I'm talking the 80s before the Anderson Cooper types took over.
That was my go to news source.
Now I look at it to see how stupidly partisan they are... while they strive to come up with stories that anyone gives a damn about.
Right now the hurricane/ turned tropical storm is their top story.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Now I look at it to see how stupidly partisan they are... while they strive to come up with stories that anyone gives a damn about.

I agree. You could even have called them fair and balanced when they first launched. That didn’t last very long :(

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

I agree. You could even have called them fair and balanced when they first launched. That didn’t last very long :(

Yup, I was glued to CNN during the first Gulf War. I was working nights on a big cabling job at the local IBM plant and never budged out of my recliner during the day getting the war reports and live footage. CNN did Yeoman's work back them to give us the news.

Today they are nothing of what they once were. Even Fox News today is nothing compared to CNN in the beginning.