• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

More QRP...

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Well Squerly....is this not the day?????Give em hell old man......come back with that ticket in your fist!!!!!!:smile:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
we lack trees,I have a 60 foot tower, but I need to do some repairs to it maybe a next summer project. we also have a lack of radio shack stores so I need to put together a good materials list before I order. I have an old military nvis antenna but I haven't played too much with it.

ST.....one place I was at......for a short time I couldnt put up any thing perminet ...I took a piece of 2" water pipe...and some 2" thinwall conduit...some 1" thinwall and some muffler clamps...and ended up with almost 45 ft some old fence wire for guy wires and a pully on top with some 1/4 inch rope and WALA!!!I had a place to hang my inverted V.......and come to think of it I had put an old 2 meter mobile ant on top when I built it.....:smile: Give ya any Ideas???? When you are cooped up with no place to hide and the kids are getting on your nerves.....a set of earphones can be a great place to go!!!!:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
congratulations now pick up a fm radio and find a node in your area steerit to the Alaska reflector and give a shout out my radio has been on all day

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Technician KM4GGD :smile:

Congrats there old man!!!!!!!!:cool2::applause::thumb: Used to be you had to wait around 6 weeks to get your call.......talk about hell!!!!passed the test and still couldnt get on the air till it came in the mail!!!!! Glad that has changed!!!!!

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Ki0ho any ideas about a multi band hf antenna for brutis I have enough room for my ts 140 in it

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I've looked at screw driver models even talked with some of the manufactures and they all are concerned about the environment I will be using them in

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
those would be nice for a stationary set up I'm looking for a mobile idea. what seems to be sticking with mew right now is going to be a 102 inch whip ,with a auto tuner.mount the tuner at the back of the cab with a short run of coax to the antenna that will make for about the best hands free works in icy conditions I can find right now. I don't see much else out the other options are essentialy the same, ie the screw drivers

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
congratulations now pick up a fm radio and find a node in your area steerit to the Alaska reflector and give a shout out my radio has been on all day
OK, I'm working on it. By any chance, do you have a 2 meter repeater close by?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I'm working on it. By any chance, do you have a 2 meter repeater close by?
yes I do have a repeater system here my node is simplex and I leave it connected to the Alaska reflector. a reflector is just a hub that lets multiple nodes communicate. so once you have found a node in your area either simplex or connected to a repeater it's a matter of disconnecting with a 73 command than re connecting with a 9070 command. the best way to find a node in your area is go to the irlp web site do a search with your zip code.
it will give you all kinds of info most important is contact for the node owner some owners like to keep their nodes secure others are like me and leave them open for any one to use or direct where ever they want. I have found most clubs that have a node connected to their repeater system like to leave it disconnected when not in use. my opinion is that's a waste, but opinions are like a holes every one has one and mine doesn't stink.
there are no requirements to announce you are going to shut down the node. again some locals like some kind of announcement my suggestion is disconnect than announce it why share your local requirements with the world . other wise enjoy your new hobby I have had a great time with it.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm confused Don, but that's to be expected at this early stage of the game. Don't you have a node # that I can connect to via EchoLink?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a node but it is an irlp node if you connect to echolink node kl7m it is bridged through the Alaska reflector allowing echo link and irlp to talk together. if you wanted a node to node connect I would have to coordinate it as I leave it connected to 9070 all the time Give me a call 907 304-1383 I can talk you through it and clear up the confusion.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
It was trial and error for awhile but I found your node. Talked with a fellow (sorry, didn't write his call sign down) who said he hadn't heard from you today. Asked him to pass 73's to you and let you know I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm going to start building a directional 2 meter band antenna next week. Nothing too fancy but it should give me 7 db of gain and help me hit the (semi) local repeater. Also good experience as I charge into the never ending search for the perfect antenna.

I will also be setting up a OCF Dipole next week and hope to get a little more active with DX. I've had my Yaesu for over a month and never even had a chance to use it! But that all changes next week!

Have to hunt down Jev and KI0HO too!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Jev should not be to hard to find.......as for me ....I havent been active for years...all my gear is boxed up ....but one of these days I hope to get set back up again........

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
as I charge into the never ending search for the perfect antenna.

Good luck!

I've looked for that for the last 38 years. I have come close a few times though. :yum:

Jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
It was trial and error for awhile but I found your node. Talked with a fellow (sorry, didn't write his call sign down) who said he hadn't heard from you today. Asked him to pass 73's to you and let you know I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm going to start building a directional 2 meter band antenna next week. Nothing too fancy but it should give me 7 db of gain and help me hit the (semi) local repeater. Also good experience as I charge into the never ending search for the perfect antenna.

I will also be setting up a OCF Dipole next week and hope to get a little more active with DX. I've had my Yaesu for over a month and never even had a chance to use it! But that all changes next week!

I think I herd a bit of that conversation it was Dave kl7m you were talking to with our recent snow I have been jumping in and out of the truck last couple of days. glad you discovered how it works .

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter

Let's see...if I point the tri-bander with these bearings, I should "blow your doors off!" LOL You're a little close to me, but when you're setup we'll give it a shot. Maybe we'll start via long path for grins & giggles.

US State North Carolina
US County Macon
Bearing195.5° SSW (from KD8PFB)
Distance 470.3 mi ( 756.8 km)
Long Path24386.6 mi (39246.4 km)