• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need a little advice

RedRocker

Ok guys, my ailing IRA has recovered somewhat although not back
to the level it was before the crash. I'm a money dumb ass and have
trusted Smith Barney to handle my account for the last few years.
I have a gut feeling they're more interested in their interests than mine, so
here's my question. Should I put my money in a safe place now or ride a little longer? If so, what is a safe place? Please answer as if you were speaking to someone that doesn't know a bond from a stock. Thanks in advance.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'll be watching too.
i recently read that there is often a market decline right after elections.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
bonds are "safe" - they're sort of like certificates of deposit or T-bils.
Stocks are like buying a small piece of a company with no prediction of what it may be worth on any given day, and so are volatile.
I invest in mutual funds - a mix of stocks and bonds, which makes it less hazardous than owning a specific stock, more profitable than bonds, but not as potentially profitable as playing the market.

D

darroll

Ok:
Bonds are someone’s else’s debt= don't buy.
Stock is a part company owner, if they go broke you might end up with a spare tire.
If you have capital gains from a stock, you can write off a stock that went broke.
Preferred stock has to pay dividends. This will not keep you from losing your money if they go under.
Stock is about your only hope. Pick the natural gas company or a power company stock only.
Of course gold is so overpriced.
What is safe?
Poof, your money in the bank could go to money heaven and you don’t get a spare tire.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Vanguard and T Rowe Price have retirement mutual funds that are diversified based on the investor's nearness to retirement. I have put part of my IRA into one of those. They appear to be a reasonable, low cost way to go. I prefer to go with mutual fund companies instead of brokers, who make their money by moving your money around.

Most investment advisers recommend diversifying, with a portion of your money in something liquid and longer term money, that which you won't need for several (maybe 10 to 15 years), in stocks.

If you have the time, it is educational to listen to some of the financial talk shows on radio. Ray Lucia is on the local business radio station from 9 o'clock to noon (Pacific time). He is one of the best, from my observation.