• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 7 is here! (sorta)

garygaboury

I've been running the Windows 7 Beta on my laptop since January. For most users you won't notice to much different from vista right away. It has a few tweaks here and there and a better start bar.(more like a mac)

The big difference switching from Vista Home Premium (I'm running both via dual boot) is the speed, the difference is unbelievable. My laptop runs much faster both loading apps and surfing the net. It also runs cooler, In Vista watching movies or heavy use causes the cpu temp to rise enough to start the fan, In 7 the temps stay low enough not to. The result is improved Battery life.. almost an hour more per charge.

I would reccemend 7 to anyone unhappy with Vista, or still running xp.

BTW: Sushi's link above is good for a free download lasting until June 2010.. I'm downloading it, installing it, and plan on buying it before March 2010 when the free version starts to shut down.

thanks Sushi!!!

Gary

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good insights on this Gary. I have resisted loading Vista on any computer I own, and now see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will be able to avoid Vista forever. I'll get the download later tonight.
Thanks!!!!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc keep us updated on the new Windows 7 after you load and use it. I recently bought a new notebook and was able to get the XP Pro loaded on a business notebook and avoid Vista for now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will do Bill. I have a system I am in the process of refreshing, so it's all set to be loaded up with a new OS. :thumb:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
My Brother-in-Law has had time to have a play with windows 7 and sent me his thoughts last night...heres some of what he had to say....

I've tried this and used it as an OS for a while, the good points are that it is very very quick compared to XP and vista, im not kidding, this sucker is fast at most things, a good example is installing games, id honestly say that it does it in 1/4 of the time that xp or vista takes, its got awesome transfur speeds and its stable as a rock, it's got DX11 and 10 and 9 and is faster and smoother than XP when it comes to games. It has an automatic feature to install software thats not quite compatible with os7, ie, it lets you try and install it and if it crashes it closes the app and reopens a box saying "oh dear that crashed, do you want me to install it for you with optimised compatibility settings etc" I've found this feature to be very useful and it's never failed (yet). Another good point is the auto update is good, I've installed this on several machines and even those with plenty of "unknown hardware" have all pulled all dirvers from auto update with no exceptions as of yet, I've not had a single machine with anything dodgy in the hardware list after the auto update, theres plenty of os7 drivers out now for most of the "commen" sound and gfx and lan etc anyways, not that it matters much cos this OS 7 will use vista drivers anyways if you cant find os 7 ones. Now i've bigg'ed it up as a wicked replacement for vista here comes the major downfall of os7, the networking is all still vista style with all the normal vista lockdown proticols active etc. It's a very diff enviroment from the XP networking which is simple and controllable. With this you wont have any problems getting online or setting up a network etc cos it's all findable and theres wizards for the newb's and to be fair most of it is automatic BUT heres the kicker, any of you that use any vpn type software (eg, hamanchi) or like to host online games lan/internet are really gonna struggle cos of the vitsa lockdowns. I absolutely hate the vista style networking protocols, talk about have to set a setting like 3 times on 3 diff things to allow 1 IP to gain access....it's pointless security unless your a business, total overkill putting IP6 on the thing too, it's a real shame because it's the only blot on a very good OS as far as I can see. I do the whole network thing for a living and I totally failed at getting simple apps to run or even to show on the network at 1st, I had to use google and workarounds to get a lan game to just show up on my home network!, now thats sad, it should be a fundimentally working system like XP. Anyways, apart from that its actually a step in the right direction.
Hope you find this usefull.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Good post Galv. Thank your bro for us.

Your very welcome....he has passed me a copy to try myself but im happy and a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to change....im gonna let him try it out for longer and then maybe change over.....i may run it on my son's PC and see how it goes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know what you mean. We depend on them to much. The one I'm building will be used by my wife. :yum: I might upgrade but I'm in no hurry. :D