• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seriously, does this happen - chickens and yuppies....

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
On another website, I was reading about some guy that found a redwood incubator. Then a cityboy, like me, asked what the heck are you gonna do with 400 chicks when they hatch. So the conversation goes along, and then,

One guy replies:

I recently went to a chicken swap at one of the local tractor supply stores, I sold most every chicken I had to "green" people. It's the new yuppie rage to be aware of where you food comes from. So they go to chicken swaps buy a rooster for $10, take him home, feed him $10 worth of "organic" feed. Then decide they don't have the guts to do the deed. They then bring him back to the chicken swap, where I buy my rooster back for $5. Then I turn around and sell him again!

Really, does this really happen? I hope it's true and these farmers are making money off of these green idiots!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Many good idea's that in the end involve killing something, don't get fallowed through on when it is time to do the deed. Urban folks who don't kill anything excepting bugs, and then only with something, don't get it. Well, they do, but not untill the time comes to do the "deed" then their own perception of reality sets in. So yes I bet this does happen, often too I bet.

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can imagine that it does happen.

Familiarity breeds contempt or at least it makes you less sensitive. I know that I'm not as "blood hardened" as I used to be. 15 years ago I had no problem shooting birds, cleaning birds and generally hacking them up. If you caught a "runner", you grabbed it and wrung its neck. End of story. Nowadays it's something that I'd prefer not to do. Not that I couldn't do it, it's just that I'd prefer not to. So, I can see where some of these people who have always got their poultry from the supermarket could well have problems dispatching their own live birds.

Also, since we are not talking major dollars I can see where these yuppies would just take the loss and move on.

Now, if the S ever HTF and I need meat for the table, I should imagine that I'd get back into the habit pretty darned quick.