• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carnival Cruise Lines steals from customers!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I have indisputable documentation that Carnival Cruise Lines steals from their customers. Perhaps before I get into that fact, I should explain two other serious issues and violations perpetrated by Carnival. I just got off the phone with the head of Carnival's customer relations and she told me that she could not possibly care less if I posted online what they did to my family and how they stole from me and now refuse to refund the money stolen when confronted.

First, are you aware that unless you wait in line for an hour or two during your cruise on Carnival and fill out forms in writing to the contrary, Carnival will charge you approximately $45 per day per passenger for tips? As each day passes, tips that have been charged from previous days are completely and totally non-refundable. :hammer: I never was able to use their 'formal' dining room because the wait to get a table was well over an hour yet I graciously and generously tipped the staff there for their service to me.

Also, if you are extremely bored, feel free to go to Carnival's web page and read about using walkie talkies on board. It is completely allowed. However, upon returning to the ship at our first port of call security confiscated my youngest daughter's walkie talkie and refused to give her any receipt for taking it. I had to waste 2 hours waiting in line at customer services (pretty well the minimum time to get to speak with anyone there) and demand either my walkie talkie back or a receipt that they had it and that they would return it to me. I also asked WHY they took her walkie talkie when literally hundreds of passengers were using the same units each day. The response; the Captain allows security much leeway in deciding what they may do. After getting nowhere trying to get my walkie talkie back so I could keep track of my kids without being with them at all times I finally, after much heated debate, got them to give me a receipt stating that they had confiscated my walkie talkie and would return it to me as I 'debarked' the ship when back at port.

That is the minor issue I had with Carnival this time. I've cruised around 20 times and this was only the 2nd (and LAST) time I'll ever cruise with them. On 26 December 2012 at 4:12pm CST, my wife, son and I were laying out on a top deck while my daughters left the ship to shop in Montego Bay. This is when they had their walkie talkie and, while we were on the top of the ship, we could hear them fine while they were on shore just off the ship. At that exact time I noticed the hard covers were closing over the deck pool behind us. I thought nothing of it. Perhaps they were going to do maintenance on the pool or whatever. At 4:16pm CST it felt like it was sleeting hard on us. I sat up and discovered that we were being covered in chunks of hardened black soot. They picked that time to run scrubbers down their stacks to clean them!

Standing about 10 feet from me was a ship employee dressed all in white (I later discovered was the ship's chief engineer) so I got out of my lounge chair to ask what was going on. He only stared at me while using one hand to shield his eyes from the chunks of soot raining down on us. Since he would not utter a single word to us I took a picture of his name tag and quickly gathered our belongings and exited the deck. Our hair was full of hundreds of black chunks of soot. Our clothes were stained and covered with it. Our towels were nearly black with thousands of chunks on each towel. My wife and son began coughing as we got indoors as they had inhaled some of the soot particulates.

We immediately went down and wasted the mandatory 2 hours to get to customer services (this was before the walkie talkie ordeal) and complained. They first made a couple of calls and then denied they were doing anything and they didn't know what I was talking about. That is when I simply unrolled my beach towel on their counter, covering their keyboards and desk with thousands of chunks of black soot. Amazingly, they then made another phone call and said they were doing routine maintenance on their exhaust stacks. (no shit!) They said they were sorry and offered to launder our clothes and gave us 6 drink discount (not free drinks, but discounts). They said nobody in maintenance knew passengers were on deck. I said that was BS because one of their maintenance people stood there and watched us. When I showed them his picture with name tag, they told us he was the ship's chief engineer. Wonderful. Worse yet, one desk clerk let it slip that he speaks perfect English. He just opted not to speak with me on deck.

The final insult came at 4:30am as we were arriving at port. That is when I discovered that we had several hundred dollars worth of "gratuity" charges added to each room's bill; even though I tipped the people who served us. Between trying to get our walkie talkie back and waiting in line (was told it may be 4 or 5 hours long), we had to leave the ship and could not get to customer service. I got the walkie talkie back ONLY after producing the receipt I had and insisting that, no, I would not have them just mail it back to me. I figured I'd just call and get the tips I did NOT authorize taken off my bill when we got home. WRONG!

After wasting 2 hours more today, I found that Carnival Cruise Lines absolutely, positively refuses to refund tips charged to your account! :mad: WTF?!! As far up their chain of command I could go, they simply told me that it was "policy" and they NEVER return tips they charge. I reminded them that it was "policy" to allow the walkie talkie I had and they simply said it was up to security and the captain as to what policy they followed. Hmm, clearly this "policy" is simply a guideline and NOT something written in granite since they had already deviated from it with us. Still, I was literally told "NO, we are keeping the money" today. When I explained that I was willing to simply let it drop about them dumping a known carcinogen on us if they would simply give back the several hundred dollars they took from me in tips, they told me they really did not care what I did and under no circumstances would they return the money they'd taken from me.

I need not waste time telling you that we actually lost weight on the ship because it was difficult to get to food and, once there, it was of poor quality. As I said to begin, we have taken around 20 cruises. Each cruise seems to have less service than the cruise before. However, this takes the cake when Carnival steals hundreds from you and refuses to return it even after I gave names and amounts that I tipped workers who served us! I have to say that I highly recommend never considering a cruise on Carnival. I am seeking the services of an attorney concerning the cruise line dumping a known carcinogen on passengers with complete knowledge of doing so.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Contact your credit card company and refute the charges. They'll at least hold payment until it gets straightened out.

I haven't taken nearly the # of cruises you have but a single cruise on Carnival was enough for us to say we'll never use them again. It's pretty bad when pre-teen kids that eat anything say the food sucks.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's stories like these that keep me from going on cruises. If I wanted to pay to get abused I would go to the dentist or hire a dominatrix.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn! I've been on hold with my credit card company since my first post trying to file a dispute (Bank of America). They are generally pretty decent to work with. They said they can't tell me why, but said that they have been swamped with similar dispute calls! Hopefully someone from Carnival reads this thread. Hey Carnival, Fuck you! The first agent I spoke with at BOA had a cruise booked with you. While I've been waiting, she talked to a few other people and then called and canceled her cruise with you! Hopefully the domino effect takes your sorry ass excuse of a cruise line down!! I think after taking literally 20 cruises, I know what to expect. Carnival's service is the worst of any line and they steal money from you. Can they get any worse? No other cruise line has been like them.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Buy a boat. Or two. Or three. um, or four. I have a problem, ya know!

Make my own cruises. I can't imagine anything but a bareboat. I envision being a prisoner otherwise. Looks like you were, and worse.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife just talked to a niece who is getting married next year. They were going to take their honeymoon on a Carnival ship. Canceled!! They just re-booked with Royal Caribbean. Screwing my family over while we were on the ship and flat out stealing $402.50 from me has already cost them more than they stole from me and I'm just getting started.

If they need to charge more for their tickets, charge more! Don't just steal a few hundred from each customer the last night of the cruise!!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like requested abuse to me......last cruse I took was with a little known line called usn...
all grey...all slow and all old out dated equipment..other than that a learning experance.....:whistling:
that is why Im in the middle of this little island and im not going in eather direction to water!!!
Im happy with my little muddy pond ....:yum: Wish ya all well to go where ya want..my feet will stay within 150 ft of land...even if it is stright down........:whistling:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 3 words for you. :)
Norwegian Cruise Lines.
We were very happy with a 1-week Hawaii cruise.

I've been on Holland American, great cruise! I've also been on Norwegian, Princess, Star Flyer, Seabourn (probably nicest but most expensive) and unfortunately Carnival.

I really enjoy cruises but this last experience with Carnival has my wife, and kids, wanting to stop taking cruises. Carnival really gives cruise lines a bad name!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just Askin ,,,,, but when was the last time you had any good luck ??? Man , you have got to be the unluckiest guy I ever heard of .
You may not know this but I am a "honorary Bugle Indian Chief" from the Panama Tribe....... 2nd class .. I do not yet know the full extent of my special powers but I am going to try and whip up a curse on the Cruise line and maybe a "Good Luck" charm at the same time for you . Hope I don't screw this up and your left "nut" falls off or something :unsure:!!

Any way . Hold still .

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i say, utilize social media as u already have. i know i would not jump on a carnival cruise now, for luv nor $.
they blatantly advised us, quietly, to avoid working fer a few companies. 2 cruise lines were on that list.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Holland America has a similar automatic tip, presently $11.50 per day per passenger, and they actually discourage making
separate, individual tips. However, any passenger is free to adjust this amount either up or down to reflect exceptional
(or not) service in any category at the end of each leg, or the end of the entire voyage. We have found this to be a highly
satisfactory arrangement.

By the way, Holland America is completely up-front about this; if a passenger doesn't know about it, they didn't read the
material they were given!

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
many places fail to mention the automatic tip, tho, or the print is this teensy at the very, very end of the menu. they take that automatic tip, then also take a cash tip as u were uninformed of the gratuity $. crooked businesses exist. i've seen this. they'll shamelessly wring u dry.
u get tips 4 ur service (promptness, politeness, attentiveness, & the quality of the food. not on the basis of someone saying, 'i'm owed a tip, so i'm tacking one on'.) expected tips-uh-uh. not when i open a place.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Holland America has a similar automatic tip, presently $11.50 per day per passenger, and they actually discourage making
separate, individual tips. However, any passenger is free to adjust this amount either up or down to reflect exceptional
(or not) service in any category at the end of each leg, or the end of the entire voyage. We have found this to be a highly

By the way, Holland America is completely up-front about this; if a passenger doesn't know about it, they didn't read the

Yup, no kidding. I paid that right up front when I booked the cruise like I always have. I even tipped our stateroom steward (ONLY employee on the ship who provided us with good service) extra. Still Carnival stabbed me for another $400 + in gratuities and absolutely, positively refuses to remove them under any circumstances.

Carnival can go directly to hell. I'm totally finished with them. They will get to deal with the appropriate states attorney general's office, my attorney and my credit card company.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL, what a surprise. I Googled "rip off cruises" and here is the first listed response Carnival Cruise Rip-Off

Not only is it a complaint about Carnival, but it's a complaint about the EXACT SAME SHIP on which we sailed. I think there is a definite pattern with Carnival, and it's one of dissatisfied customers.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter

Our Royal Caribbean cruise last February had the exact tip structure. We did the $11.50 per day and put extra CASH in the room steward's hand on the way out.

We've taken two Carnival cruises many years ago, knowing it's an entry level cruise line. Back then there was only suggested tipping, and they provided envelopes for you to stuff, or you could go to the front desk and put it on the card. The tip that always pissed me off (and always will) is the one for the Maitre d'. He stands there in a cheap tux with a shit-eating grin and bosses people around, then shows up at your table ONE night during the week expecting you to be impressed with his ass kissing attitude. I've never tipped one and never will. Let the cruise line pay the joker a salary he can live on, and be done with it. I'll happily tip the hard working stiffs on the ship, and the bartender that never forgets me when I walk into the room.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

You ought to go there now. I have quite the discussion going on there. One guy, Patrick J. Criscuola, must be on Carnival's payroll. He's made rude comments and the mistake of sending me a very rude personal message on FB. It will be interesting what he will post on your link next. In reply to his nasty message I really let him know what I think of him and what he can do! :yum:

It's interesting that he thinks it's perfectly acceptable, and apparently funny, when a cruise ship dumps known carcinogens on other passengers and steals from them. What makes me think he wouldn't think it funny if he got "chunked" by thousands of pieces of soot particulate and had several hundred dollars lifted from him??

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Our Royal Caribbean cruise last February had the exact tip structure. We did the $11.50 per day and put extra CASH in the room steward's hand on the way out.

We've taken two Carnival cruises many years ago, knowing it's an entry level cruise line. Back then there was only suggested tipping, and they provided envelopes for you to stuff, or you could go to the front desk and put it on the card. The tip that always pissed me off (and always will) is the one for the Maitre d'. He stands there in a cheap tux with a shit-eating grin and bosses people around, then shows up at your table ONE night during the week expecting you to be impressed with his ass kissing attitude. I've never tipped one and never will. Let the cruise line pay the joker a salary he can live on, and be done with it. I'll happily tip the hard working stiffs on the ship, and the bartender that never forgets me when I walk into the room.

I completely agree. I paid our room steward extra as well. However, since we couldn't get in to the dining room, I sure in the hell do NOT want a couple hundred dollars taken from me to tip them! Nothing against them, but I'm not paying them if they never served me in any way.

norscaner

Before we travel to any destination we always check it out for reviews. We have found that "Tripadvisor.com" is one of the most reliable out there. I would suggest filing a trip report with them as thousands use their service daily and this would bring to notice your bad experience.

Good Luck on your next trip.
Nor.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Before we travel to any destination we always check it out for reviews. We have found that "Tripadvisor.com" is one of the most reliable out there. I would suggest filing a trip report with them as thousands use their service daily and this would bring to notice your bad experience.

Good Luck on your next trip.
Nor.

Thanks. Will do. I have with several others. Honestly, they picked a very bad time to piss me off. My latest shoulder surgery seems to be a fail and I just saw the surgeon this morning. He wants me to basically sit and do nothing for a week for the internal swelling to go down before he can get a good MRI to see what to do. So, I have a week to sit in pain and cost Carnival more than the $400 + they just plain stole from me and for, to be totally honest, the very shitty cruise we had. If that were my first cruise, I would never have taken another. My motivation to get my money back and warn others is due to Carnival's Guest Service's top supervisor just telling me tough luck and they were not willing to do anything. In other words, we have plenty of passengers, so you can piss off. :ermm:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm afraid Dargo that what you got from this one is typical across the whole industry of cruise ships. You would have to pay me, and a lot to go on one of those things. Did it once on a 4 day cruise with my wife a number of years ago and never again as it costs seem to go up daily in leaps and bounds. Service also was very bad and I can pretty much tolerate some bad service however leaving not leaving a tip crossed my mind more than once but they charged them up front.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

The Carnival cruise ship who screwed our vacation is adrift off the coast of Mexico. The under-maintained floating hunk of junk! I feel sorry for the people, but the crew should have to man paddles and paddle the damn floating turd to shore!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

The Carnival cruise ship who screwed our vacation is adrift off the coast of Mexico. The under-maintained floating hunk of junk! I feel sorry for the people, but the crew should have to man paddles and paddle the damn floating turd to shore!

I thought about you when I saw their troubles on the news. :mrgreen:

Jim

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Carnival also has a phone bank that has called me at least daily over the past month. I have stayed on long enough to point out that the number that they are calling is a don't call number, but the person answering basically told me that they could not get my number off their database and there was nothing I could do about it. Not politely, either.

The call from number is 800 613 8524. Googling the number suggests that I am not the only one with a problem.

In a highly competitive business where the best advertising is word of mouth, you would think they would try to serve their potential customers better.