• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I Lost a Friend Today

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I lost a friend today. He was 56 years old. He retired at 55 but consulted some of the time just to keep busy. When his wife left for work this morning, he told her he was going to get in his chair to read the paper and finish his coffee. When she returned this evening, that's where she found him, sitting in his chair, paper in his lap with his coffee still sitting beside him.

He was a good man ... kind, sympathetic, compassionate, took care of his family, a good friend. He lived a good life, worked hard and was enjoying his semi-retirement.

I'm having a hard time rationalizing this. On one hand there is me who's had a bitchin' life. I've traveled all over, partied on 5 continents, done and seen things that we won't go into here and I'm still around and likely to be for some time to come (according to my doctor) and then there's my friend who led a good, steady, responsible life and left it when he should have been beginning to enjoy the fruits of his life's labors. It just doesn't seem right or fair.

What makes it worse is that this is is the second friend that I've lost in recent years in the exact same manner. Now, I don't mean to seem selfish but I have dozens and dozens of acquaintances but few really good, lifelong friends. I can't afford to lose any more. Somehow, I feel the sorrow but also I have a strange feeling of guilt. I don't know why. I'm feel sure that he wouldn't want it.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. I don't want or need sympathy, his wife and family needs that, but I just felt that, by writing it down, it may help me to handle the loss of a friend who will leave a hole in my life.

We're leaving for Dallas tomorrow to give any help we can to the family. They sounded totally distraught when we talked to them tonight.

So, hold your friends dear and keep them close, appreciate and love them every single day because you never know when they will be wrenched away from you. That goes for you personally also. You never know when the hammer is going to fall. Enjoy it while you've still got it.

Caitlin

Sorry to hear of this loss. My thoughts are with both yourself and the family. I hope you are all able to give each other comfort and strength tomorrow.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry for your's and his family's loss, Frank. That was the main reason I retired at 55.I felt selfish, but wanted to enjoy a few more years.
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the loss.

I had a friends dad pass on when he was 56 also. He retired at 55 and was in good health. He was out in the morning shovelling snow when he cut his hand. He didn't think anything of it until he started feeling really sick around lunchtime. By 7pm, he passed away at the hospital. When he cut his hand, he somehow got blood poisoning and the doctors at the hospital were too ignorant and stupid to realize what was happening. They just chalked it up to him having the flu.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for your loss Frank. Very good post. I hope writing it did help, I think it might help others. I'm in that age group and wonder about just that. I'm not close to retirement. I had to much fun when I was younger, so I'll work longer. Folks that retire die, if I don't retire there might be hope for me. :D
The main message I get from this is be sure you enjoy life along the way. Stop and smell the roses so to speak. If you focus on retirement and put off your fun until then, you might never be able to fully enjoy it.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I for one am glad that you felt comfortable enough to post that here. There are alot of things in this world that we take for granted. Things like this are hopefully reminders to us about the things that are truly important in life.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I am glad that he had the impact on you that he did. Hopefully you're a better person for having known him (I suspect you are, I suspect many people are). I think that's the sort of thing we're supposed to get from events like this.

A few prayers are on the way.

Thanks for sharing.