• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do they make a decent belt anymore?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Last Christmas I got one of those reversible belts I wanted. Brown on one side, black on the other with the quick reversing head. Slick. Or so I thought.

After only six months (and I hardly use it every day) the outer finish that looks like leather is peeling off and exposing a foam like material inside. This friggin' thing is no more leather than a web belt!!

Looks like some paint that is made to look like leather.

Sound familiar to anyone? I would like to know what this faux leather shit is so I can stay away from it in the future. :hammer:

Do they even make a real leather belt anymore?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they even make a real leather belt anymore?

Carhartt - not a dress belt but a nice work belt. Tractor Supply, Cabelas, and Sportsmans Guide among others.

The one I'm wearing is a couple of years old and is in pretty good shape.

The might make dress belts, I don't know.

Jim

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
the aroma of leather in an item is 1 indicator, as is (namely, w/ shoes) that distinctive sound leather makes when u bend them.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Carhartt - not a dress belt but a nice work belt. Tractor Supply, Cabelas, and Sportsmans Guide among others.

The one I'm wearing is a couple of years old and is in pretty good shape.

The might make dress belts, I don't know.

Jim

I forgot about my Carhartt Journeyman's belt. It's over 10 years old with most of the finish gone but it says on the back that it is bridle grade cowhide. Made in Argentina. Hmmm, gonna check and see where the new ones are made. Anyone care to take any bets that it will be China?

the aroma of leather in an item is 1 indicator, as is (namely, w/ shoes) that distinctive sound leather makes when u bend them.

I have a couple of Flying Tiger Jackets. One is cowhide and the other is goatskin. Both jackets kick ass and I love them both. One being Cooper A2 I got back in 92 and the other a LL Bean Flying Tiger Jacket. The leather in both is fantastic. I look like Gary Cooper when I wear them. :yum::whistling::biggrin: Maybe you are too young to remember him.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
One being Cooper A2 I got back in 92 and the other a LL Bean Flying Tiger Jacket. The leather in both is fantastic. I look like Gary Cooper when I wear them. :yum::whistling::biggrin: Maybe you are too young to remember him.

nah- 1 was in & another was about when i was a kiddo.

2 guys in my family have carhartt overalls & coats fer winter daze. i know of gary cooper. lol.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Or, if you are on a budget, Cabela's sells their DOUBLE DUTY belt. Its sturdy enough to hold up a heavy gun for several years of daily wear. Not fancy looking, best with blue jeans or casual slacks. Finish will wear off the buckle after the first year. But its double thick rigid leather . . . and it is frequently offered on sale for only $19.99. Regular price is about $40.

Beltman is better, but its hard to deny the value of the Cabela's DOUBLE DUTY.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I use us gi rigger belts they aren't leather but they hold my pants up over my love handles and don't alow my plumbers crack to be exposed.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I've had the same belt (genuine leather) for over 5, possibly close to 10 years now. Got it at a western wear store. Paid 20-some odd bucks for it back then. Can't complain, still in really good shape. Just wish I could find it... (went missing a year or so ago.) If I can find it, I'll let you know what the brand name is.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I go out to the amish area and to the harnes shop..and have my belts made to order...the prise aint bad and have always been very happy with the workmanship.....sence I went to all bibers I dont wear them much any more..except to strap on the tool belt once in a while....

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
How do you measure a belt? I mean how many sizes over one's waist size should I get it? That's why I don't like to order belts mail order (get them to small) & I agree most I buy in a store or have found online are junk.
OOPS website shows sizing guide I won't take down my post but will put info. up for anyone else who wants to know:

: Pick a pair of your most comfortable fitting pants.
Step 2: Look at the tag of the pants waist size.
Step 3: Add 4 inches to this size.
Step 4: This is the belt size you must order

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
How do you measure a belt? I mean how many sizes over one's waist size should I get it? That's why I don't like to order belts mail order (get them to small) & I agree most I buy in a store or have found online are junk.
OOPS website shows sizing guide I won't take down my post but will put info. up for anyone else who wants to know:

Correct on sizing. The measure should go from the buckle end of the belt to the middle hole of the group of holes. In other words, if there are 5 holes go to hole #3. I too would not want to order on line. I prefer to try them on as I like to use that middle hole and I have noticed they vary.

**EDIT**
Well I said I would not want to order on line but I now think I will. Those two sites BG posted are great stuff. USA made too. I will check out Cabela's as well.

Last edited:

Bamby

Well I said I would not want to order on line but I now think I will. Those two sites BG posted are great stuff. USA made too.

+1 Ended up purchasing both a belt and a new wallet from one of those links!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Another timely post. My favorite, everday wear belt gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago. After 5 years of almost constant wear the stitching holding the buckle on gave up the ghost. No snaps or screws on this one and the buckle was showing signs of wear too. Most of my other belts are either dress belts or western belts. I want something to wear with jeans or maybe casual slacks.

Those 2 sites from Big Dog will give me something to look at this evening before I start shopping. Thank you.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Another timely post. My favorite, everday wear belt gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago. After 5 years of almost constant wear the stitching holding the buckle on gave up the ghost. No snaps or screws on this one and the buckle was showing signs of wear too. Most of my other belts are either dress belts or western belts. I want something to wear with jeans or maybe casual slacks.

Those 2 sites from Big Dog will give me something to look at this evening before I start shopping. Thank you.

One of my favorite belts for non-dress situations is the nylon Last Chance belt from Bison Designs. They are tough and
make carrying a gun (or two) no problem. But, they surely aren't for dress occasions!

https://bisondesigns.com/