• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

P.O.S. handyman

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I hired a handy man a few weeks ago (because previously he had worked for a gate co. that did a good job). I went out to my utility room and had the correct key . I tried to open the dead bolt only to find that the tumbler turns but the dead bolt wouldn't open (it just turns in the lock). Since that was a spare key I got the key I usually use for that. Tried that and the same thing happened, the tumbler turns (the key turns in the lock) but the deadbolt won't open.​
Just for the fun of it I got a wrong key and tried that - naturally that won't turn at all which is what it's supposed to do (not turn).​
Oh there are other problems because he did such a ***** job but not even being able to open a door is the worst. Now what if that happens when I try to get in my house?​
I called him about 5:30AM & left a message. I said I would trash his name (if that is the correct term because all I am saying is the truth).​
Man's name is Greg Bosworth if you know anyone in Phoenix let them know.​
I feel ulcers coming on .I sure hope your day is better than mine.​

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If that is the worst thing that happens to you, you are blessed. Have a nice memorial day.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Well the guy was willing to come out on a holiday & fix it so I will recant my rant. I won't ask anymore of any man.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I won't ask anymore except that it's done right if I hadn't had two petit mal seizures and been asleep on my feet I would have noticed. Later I noticed what a lousy job he had done. Oh well I will put it down as a life experience and add it to my list of how many times I been shafted.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Cat, that's one of the reasons that I started learning to do all the stuff around the house by myself. I got tired of paying people a ridiculous amount of money to do stuff and have to come along behind them and fix what they screwed up.

Unfortunately, like you, I find myself in the position of not being able to do what I once could so I'm having to rely more on contractors to do stuff for me. Luckily, I have a general contractor who uses good people so things usually get done the way I want them but when he retires, which he keeps on threatening to do, I'm back to square one.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a handyman business and despise people,who do shit work. I want to retire, but my long term customers tell me I have to wait until THEY die.:yum: guess I'll keep doing it as long as it's still fun and it doesn't kill me. But I'm more selective about the type of work I take, and even more selective of the customers I want to do work for. I do admit to putting off work if I can do sometimes if I can go fishing or shooting instead. when I tell,a customer I can't get to them for two weeks (summer is always crazy), they all say they'll wait.

Sadly, with the feminization of men, there ar less and less people who can do their own work, and fewer who will be able to do it. But there's no shortage of college grads who cannot find work with their liberal arts and humanities degrees. Go figure...

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I ended up taking the doorknob off and putting it on the RIGHT way. I did that one other time. After he had "fixed" it.
I called him the next day and told him just what a sh*t job he had done but I also to him that I would call the police if he came over again. I won't have him back to "fix" any other thing.
Unfortunately ever since I had my truck crash over 10 years ago I have had seizures and memory loss as well.
I used to be able to put my own locks in. I also put window panes in and have installed electrical outlets. No more. For one thing I can't get bring large things back from the hardware store.
I also found out at a neighborhood meeting that - even though he has seen me (at their meetings) - have a Grand Mal seizure; there is at least one neighbor who spies on me. He said he "seen" me at a store. He seems to think that because once in awhile I can walk to the bus stop and take the bus to get a sack of food I should be able to delver their stupid newsletter. So that makes me reluctant to bring back large things from a hardware store or to be seen outside doing anything.