• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 engine informations ??

francoisM

Hello,

Actually, I retrieved the attached snow trac (see pic attached)in the backyard of a old mountain refuge that I bought in French Alps.
And finally decided to put some efforts trying to revive it.
By reading the Forums Forums, it looks that you have quite a large experience of this type of equipment.

Could you tell me if there is some engine manual available on the net, somewhere ?

Thanks in advance

mtmogs

Bonjour Francois,

Congratulations on your discovery. You have stumbled upon the best snowcat resource on the net - welcome.

Assuming that that your snow trac has one of the original Volkswagen Type I engine variants, there are many resources on the net that are useful. A manual that most people recommend and one that old hippies swear by is "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" by John Muir. I'm not sure if there is a French version published but technical jargon is kept to a minimum. The fact that the book is in its 19th edition and has been printed for over 30 years attests to its popularity. The book is available everywhere it seems including www.amazon.fr.

Good Luck - Paul

061205-muir.jpg

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Ditto. This book is great! Welcome to the Forums! Post plenty of pictures. :alc:

Bonjour Francois,

Congratulations on your discovery. You have stumbled upon the best snowcat resource on the net - welcome.

Assuming that that your snow trac has one of the original Volkswagen Type I engine variants, there are many resources on the net that are useful. A manual that most people recommend and one that old hippies swear by is "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" by John Muir. I'm not sure if there is a French version published but technical jargon is kept to a minimum. The fact that the book is in its 19th edition and has been printed for over 30 years attests to its popularity. The book is available everywhere it seems including www.amazon.fr.

Good Luck - Paul

061205-muir.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could you tell me if there is some engine manual available on the net, somewhere ?

Thanks in advance
The information already provided is the BEST engine information that I have found and I would strongly recommend it.

Also, if you go to Christer Morlinds website you can download a manual for the Snow Trac. It is not a complete manual, and it does NOT cover the engine, but it does cover all the basic information you need. Here is a LINK to his website: http://www.klovsjo.com/snowtrac/

I also make up DVD disks that contain about a dozen different manuals but I admit that I am behind on mailing those. If you want a manual I can supply you with a disk if you send me a Private Message with your mailing address.

francoisM

Unfortunately, she stands 700 kms away from Paris and have to wait for long week ends or vacation period to work on (fortunately living in France for reasonnable vacation periods).
Next time, I will take more detailed pics and will post the state 0 of the renovation.
This snow trac has obviously been left outside without too much control from the previous owner and has been damaged by kids playing inside. Particularly, the electric wiring and most of the panel switch have diseappeared or been destroyed. If anyone had experience of the wiring diagram, it would also helps a lot.
Another immediate thing to repair is the right aft tyre that diseappear. I was thinking looking at spare trailer tyre for replacement. If anyone could assist with dimensions ?

Attachments

• chenillette2.jpg
    chenillette2.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 241

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Christer Morlind has parts for you. In the link I provided in my prior post you can find his website and contact him. There is also a wiring diagram in the manual that can be downloaded. Also, we have some detailed wiring diagrams posted in our archives here on this website. Look around here and you will find the wiring diagrams in one of the threads here.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Christer Morlind should have everything! Ive been trying to get ahold of him for two weeks now. He may be on vacation????? I will email him again as well.

francoisM

I got some more pictures that I am going to post.
I found the engine number F1921767 looks like a July 1965 serie as per the VW book.
Unfortunately, I was trying to locate the ID plate with the vehicle number and discovered that it has recently diseappeared from the back of the Snowcat. It has been gently removed with a knife or a screwdriver, but removed :2gunsfiri .
I am sure that it was a collector and that only a cat lover could have perpetrate this forfeit and I hope that he read this forum.
So, the one that takes off the ID from my snowcat located above Briancon in French Alps, please reply to this message with the infos of the plate and eventually keep the plate.

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 198

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to here that someone has taken it. Maybe mouse ear Mike will be kind enough to give it back or at least give you the info. Yes I was just recently out of the country but it was not me.

francoisM

Here are some others pics.
The first one is a view of an added electric fan in front of the engine for forced air circulation. I do not know if it is a usual modification.
It can also be seen an alternator on top of it fitted on a raw metal beam.
The second one is a view of the dashboard with those pitiful wires hanging below.
Then an interesting detail of the dashboard showing the warning to not turn the wheel when the vehicle is stopped, but printed in French. Does that means that a serie of those has been prepared for France ?? Wud be interesting to start a community this side too.:beer:

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 194
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 196
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 198

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got some more pictures that I am going to post.
I found the engine number F1921767 looks like a July 1965 serie as per the VW book.
If your engine is from 1965, it is possible that your Snow Trac is from 1965, 1966 or possibly even from 1967. Snow Tracs were often assembled from VW parts that were several years older than the Snow Trac itself. While it is unlikely that an engine would be more than a year or two old, pedals, lights, and other parts could have been discontinued for several years by VW prior to them being purchased and installed on a brand new Snow Trac at the factory in Sweden.

Regarding the dashboard "warning" plaque in French, its a good thing I did not stumble upon that Snow Trac because I'd probably have to pry it off your dashboard for my collection of ST4 stuff!!! Snow Tracs were exported to literally DOZENS of nations. I strongly suspect that the units sent to Japan had some Japanese markings on them. I have copies of manuals that have parts listed in 4 languages. So I would suspect that there are "French" labeled Snow Tracs, probably many in "German" also.

francoisM

The last one is that the rear right tyre 100 X 600 has diseappeared.
I saw on another thread that somebody was trying to have thes tyres recirculated. I will check out.

Attachments

• P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 195

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The fan was installed to try and help get the hot exhaust air out of the engine compartment. Also cut 2" diameter holes in the bottom of the engines skid plate. This greatly reduces engine compartment heat!

francoisM

About the battery. Where is it usually located ?
In this one, it looked standing loose on the right aft of the cabin with a big strong switch and power cable that looks far too big for a standard 12V battery. Any idea ?

Attachments

• P1010031.JPG
    P1010031.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 197

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know of any other sure fire way of proving what year a Snow Trac was produced other than that ID tag. Unfortunately because the Snow Tracs used discontinued parts from Hella and VW, some parts were interchanged mid-year, some lasted for several years, etc. It makes positive identification very difficult without the ID tag.

The battery is located to the right side of the driver, at the front of the cabin near the firewall, under the passenger seat.

I will see if any of the parts manuals are in French, if I have one, I will send you a digital copy of it.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The bigger the cable the better! Usually inside cab bottom right of driver under bench. I have seen some mounted on the right deck.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The last one is that the rear right tyre 100 X 600 has diseappeared.
I saw on another thread that somebody was trying to have thes tyres recirculated. I will check out.

Christer Morland should have them. He can be hard to reach sometimes. Hes a busy man.

teledawg

Christer Morland should have them. He can be hard to reach sometimes. Hes a busy man.

I just got an eMail from Christer a few days ago. He is currently using a Continental tire:

.... The big tires are not available anymore but I have found a Continental tire that fits, called T9 4,00x16 only 4ply but it will works, looks like this. Maybe you can find it over there.

Best Regards
Christer

Here is a picture of the tire he sent me.

Attachments

• Continental T9 4.00x16 4ply.jpg
    Continental T9 4.00x16 4ply.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 131

francoisM

Hello Boggie,

Where are they stored and how much do you sell them ?
Depending price, I wud be interested by one or two of these.

I am also looking this type of Continental on the local market

Thks to Teledawg for the info :thumb:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello Boggie,

Where are they stored and how much do you sell them ?
Depending price, I wud be interested by one or two of these.

I am also looking this type of Continental on the local market

Thks to Teledawg for the info :thumb:

We have them in the USA Brainerd, Mn. 56401 The price in US Dollars
is 120.00 each tubes are 12.00 we have shipped over the pond before.

You may want to check with your local Tractor/Ag dealer there is a tri/rib front tractor tire that same size and you may find it local. less money also
about 75.00 here in the states.

We have about 45 of these in stock

Good Luck

francoisM

Thanks Boggie,

I already post a request for dealership location on Continental website and a young lady called back one hour later asking for my exact location. She promised an answer for tomorrow.
There is days like that. There was thre years now that I was wondering how to replace this damned Swedish tyre.

Thks again for assistance:)

francoisM

I finally replaced the missing tyre by a Continental T9 4 plies as indicated by Teledawg.
It fits well, except that due to slightly larger diameter, you have to adapt the tension of the track by unscrewing the bolt on the stud located behind the wheel.
Good party of liquid wrench and muscles, this stub being particularly exposed to rust and corrosion.
I drop here some pictures about a method to change the rear wheel without dismounting the track.
Intensive use of wood blocks and parrallelogram jack (the hydraulic ones do not work horizontally) made the deal.

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 126
  • P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 129
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 127