• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Captured from the Wild - 1950 Tucker 443

lmolson

Excited to report that this 1950 Tucker 443 was captured on Kolob Mountain Utah after resting for the last 23 years. This Tucker was originally sold to Sausman Motors in Jackson California. Whereabouts unknown for the next 30 years it was purchased by Joe and Mary Priest to live year round on Kolob Mountain from 1980 to 1995. Kolob has no winter access so this was their access to the world for a 10 plus mile commute to the nearest plowed road. In 1995 due to their age they left the mountain and the Tucker has sit quiet for the last 23 years. My friend and I captured it a few weeks back and it now lives in Las Vegas to be given some love to be snow worthy again. It will return to Kolob Mountain to be enjoyed by the next generation.

I look forward to the forum and learning from the wealth of knowledge I have already seen on this forum. I have so many questions..... stay tuned!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1TCawvUqRL_3VRCk14yaXdbnw8mACky_jUA
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1znkCNs2qaBNDHlBOqQ5pJgIPfnJQ3m-rVQ
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1PvoQE92_L4104RlI_bHPgePOxCxIzmSZqg
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=105gqIsyYw2HwiAhZjJ8pJL0m-wPjRmqN0g
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1kw4DsjzOPUlODR8yWqcweLFE3m_EMa5ukw
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=13pqf_N8lmr_XYJiJWYf7KvErTRhHQO0dAg

Last edited:

PJL

Welcome aboard. Nice find you have there. There is a wealth of Tucker knowledge here. Looking forward to seeing it running again.

lmolson

Added images as attachment......
Still figuring out the forum...:smile4:

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_3392.jpg
    IMG_3392.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 541

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice find!!! that machine still looks pretty narrow,like my 1949 machines, the 1953 i have has a wider cab. They must have changed the width shortly after 1950. I see the fifthwheel assemblys are cast steel,check them over good ,my 1953 has a crack by one of the spring hangers. That tucker looks like it was pretty taken care of by its previous owners. Don

Sno-Surfer

Wow, great find! They are still out there! This looks like the rare and coveted taper back. I bet you get a few people wanting to buy that. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :horns:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
wow, great find! see they are still some out in the wild,

your best source for wisdom and knowledge about your Tucker, is Jeff McNeil, at Tucker Sno-Cat, he heads up the Vintage department and pretty much knows everything there is to know about these machines.

Last edited:

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
The faded decal looks familiar on the back door of it says Sierra snow taxi I may be able to dig up some history on that

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice find!!! that machine still looks pretty narrow,like my 1949 machines, the 1953 i have has a wider cab. They must have changed the width shortly after 1950. I see the fifthwheel assemblys are cast steel,check them over good ,my 1953 has a crack by one of the spring hangers. That tucker looks like it was pretty taken care of by its previous owners. Don

mr loggah, the body was widened during the production run of the 1950 models.

lmolson

J Farm...

The rear image just says snow.... love any history you may have....

Attachments

• IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 476

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I own a 1950 serial No. 150125 taper back 443, do you have serial No. for yours, there are 4 to 5 of these machine and about the same number of the wider body 1950's

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm having trouble posting images but that is the Sierra snow taxi decal the gentleman who operated that business was from my area and he had an early 50s Tucker i will get in touch with him maybe he will have some missing history for that cat

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
good morning Imolson,

the roof rack looks like what the phone companies installed, you said it was sold to Sausman motors originally, if you have either a serial number or engine number, the original owner can be identified and more of it's history can be traced. Interesting, Sausman Motors is not shown as buying a Tucker Sno-cat in 1950.

lmolson

My serial number is 150124.... from the book Clyde from Tucker sent me it appears 2 were sold to Four Wheel Drive, San Francisco; however above in pencil it is written Sausmon? Motors, Jackson CA.

Notes on the side say the one I have has a 4 speed transmission.....Kind of cool!

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 449

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great, info, does look like 150122 has the pencil in info and 150124, pretty sure FWD ordered it and sold it to Bell telephone, as Bell was a major buyer of tuckers way back when

kewl to have the 4 spd, there were several other 1950, 443 sold with the 4 speed transmission also

great you are hooked up with tucker inc, clyde and jeff are the "man" for all things tucker, they have all the knowledge you will ever need to authentically and correctly restore your machine

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for posting the pictures of your machine. I really love the look of the narrow body. What a worthwhile restoration project!

lmolson

I like the narrow body too! Need to start working on mine so I can fit in the thing! Appreciate all the feedback and information. Questions are coming....

Thanks again!

lmolson

I'm having trouble posting images but that is the Sierra snow taxi decal the gentleman who operated that business was from my area and he had an early 50s Tucker i will get in touch with him maybe he will have some missing history for that cat

J Farm....

Love to hear anything he knows about the unit!

Thank you

lmolson

yup, Bell Telephone bought it from FWD.

Cool... how did you find that out? Where was is used? One of my conditions on the sale was that I get a photo of the Priests using the Tucker on Kolob in the 80's. I am excited to track down the history as part of the process.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool... how did you find that out? Where was is used? .

Did you ever watch NCIS LA? The character Henrietta Lange (Hetty) was modeled on Her Pontooness. She know all, She see all, she sometimes shares some. Her location and current mission is classified, only to be divulged in the next episode, after she scores a win, not before.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
bell telephone co used the tuckers up in the high sierras between sacramento and reno, and all along the sierras, bell phone bought many tuckers in the early years of the company, pretty sure i have a bell co newsletter with a photo of your machine.

the Priests, they bought it from he phone company at one of their many auctions.

to find a photo of the cat in the 80's, you might want to find family photo albums of the Priests or their friends, photos can be found and have, sometimes local newspapers are a very good source, oh, if they belong to a church in the area, and used the cat for a outing, there will be photos. just need to ask about, local mechanic might have some info.

Last edited:

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke to my friend whom I am sure is the former owner of that cat before the ones you bought it from he has pictures of it in action which I have seen. I will pm you his phone number he said he is happy to give you more information on it.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
that is a great find, action photos, priceless to have those...

and i should correct my statement and should have just said that the bell telephone sold the tucker at one of their auctions, the priest's did not buy it from bell but rather someone further down the chain of ownership after bell telephone, got ahead of myself, I am sorry

lmolson

Yes .... Lore from the mountain has it that Joe Priest was driving down a road and saw the grill in a garage between the half open doors. He thought it was an old truck that he may want to fix up and went to take a look. Met the owner and made an offer on the Tucker, had not been running for years at that time.

J Farm... thank you so much I will contact your friend!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
a few tapered back photos from the time period

Attachments

• early tucker091.jpg
    early tucker091.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 510
  • early tucker144.jpg
    early tucker144.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 494
  • tkr092.jpg
    tkr092.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 514
  • tkr094.jpg
    tkr094.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 546

Kristi Kt-4

Imolson

the photo of the taper back with the bell logo should be your tucker sno cat

bell telephone only bought 1 tucker 443 in 1950 and the roof rack is a bell telephone add on. have several other bell cats with the same rack on them

believe my info to be correct, good luck with your tucker

Princess- Can you elaborate on the steering linkage seen in the bell telephone pic. It looks like it has a custom sheet metal guard/cover? I did not notice that in lmolson's pics but it could be disguised with the black paint.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
simple, first the pontoons are not the original ones,they have been changed to a later design and the steering has also been altered at sometime, all fairly common in the life of a Tucker, thus, that is why it is so rare to see a untouched Tucker, owners did whatever it took to keep the machine useable.

Haze

Man love these Tucker's. First thread I open and the Cat is from my home town Jackson, small world.

lmolson

First Update: Fluids changed, new fuel pump, carb tune-up removed fuel tank and new fuel lines installed. Attempted to install 6 volt positive ground system..... whoops already converted to 12 volt but still has a generator. Learn next time to clean ignition coil and get voltage or check voltage on light bulbs! 12 volt battery installed and fired up after 23 years like a kitten - alright more like GARFIELD!

First question: Track Rollers are an assortment of sealed(i think?) Greaseable and Nylon? The flanges seem sound and the bearings are without play. In the attached picture the one on top is the original greaseable roller, but what is the one on the bottom? Sealed? I plan on replacing the nylon, but any other pointers on assessing the rollers?

Second Question:

The front fifth wheel has a shackle in the front (see second picture) it appears this slides as the bottom is flattened. Is this suppose to roll? Any upgrades to this?

Thanks in advance!

Lance

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 408

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The upper photo roller is the early design which you have to take the screw out to grease. The other is the later design which has a ball check and you need a fitting on your grease gun which you press tight against the female grease fitting on the roller. You may be able to get by with a needle fitting on your grease gun. For long life with the rollers, use Lubriplate Low Temp grease. The front fifth wheel roller should roll. Take it apart and if it is flat on the bottom replace it. I would drill and tap the horizontal bolt and cross drill it so that you can lube the inside of the roller. The nut on this bolt should not be tight enough to prevent the roller from turning. Drill the nut or use a castellated nut and cotter pin.