• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Made my own sprockets...photos

cootbruce

I have a Excell Hustler Snowcat that was in need of new sprockets. I could not find replacements, so I decided to make my own. Just put them on the machine a week ago. So far they are working great. The photos show the process I used. I am happy to provide more information if anyone is interested in making a set.

1. Old sprockets. I called Excell and they were nice enough to send me the drawings and specs on the sprockets. I scanned the drawing they sent me and cut a profile of the sprocket in actual size (14") on a sign machine. Then transferred the sprocket pattern to 3/4 inch plywood. Using plywood I built the mold that I would later cast the sprocket in. I used bondo to create a smooth finnish in the molds.

2.I burnt the old plastic off of the cores of the sprockets, then cleaned them up to use in the molds.

3. The material I used to cast the sprockets with was expensive....around $120 per gallon. I used 5 Gallons for the two sprockets. I purchased it from a chemical company in Chicago. They matched the specs. with the specs I got from Excell. I had to build a small vacuum chamber to de-gas the chemicals before pouring. This removes most of the air bubbles from the pour. The material sets up really fast, so I had to two pour per sprocket.

The final sprockets turned out pretty good. I am happy with the results and so far they are working really well. I thought about adding color to the chemical mix, but decided to keep my cost as low as possible. I estimate that I have 60-80 hours in the whole process and around $600 in materials.......

If anyone has question or want more information....just PM me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 676
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 676
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 679
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 662
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 681
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 686

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The finished product, equaled the effort. Very nice project thanks for sharing.

did you vacuum them in the mold or in the can so to say.

cootbruce

Vacuum them in the "can". Once the vacuum pulled all the air out, the material will rise, then drop. Then you have about 1 minute to make the pour.......I found this out the hard way when I lost my first batch.....it cured in mid pour......

Vacuum chambers are pretty neat to have, and easy to make.....I have since put things into it, just to see what happen when you pull a vacuum on it.....water boils at room temp.

jask

Very nice job! can you please post more info on the urethane- type/hardness/etc and the supplier or manufacturer.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had the pleasure of having cootbruce show me one personally. To say I was impressed with it is an understatement. Very nicely done, not surprised at all they are running well.:smile:

Just have to wonder if some Excell Hustler owner won't stumble on this and ask for some "custom casting" to be done....:wink:

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
At 300 each and some time less than the ones I have built before

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 611

cootbruce

The company I got the material from is Eager Polymers in Chicago. The material is called Innothane, InnoTuf HP-2160D. It has a hardness of 60-60 D. Tensile Stenght of 6,000psi, Elongation At break of 350%,Tear Strength of 700 pli. It is a very close match to the original specs of the old sprockets. $140.42 per gallon.
Very nice people to deal with and when I had problems with my first pour and it set up to quickly, they helped me out by giving me suggestions....Thier suggestion......pour it faster!! and do it in two pours. I did and it work out just fine. I will post some photos of the sprockets on the machine later today.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

cootbruce

A few photos of the machine with the sprockets on it....Kind of hard to see as it was parked in the shop when I took the photos......

Attachments

• map 009.jpg
    map 009.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 601
  • map 018.jpg
    map 018.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 604
  • map 011.jpg
    map 011.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 607
  • map 016.jpg
    map 016.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 598
  • map 017.jpg
    map 017.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 600

Snowcat Pat

thanks for sharing the info, I'm inspired. I've wanted to get a tip to the right materials.
-Pat
(cant figure out how to make the 'thanks' button work)

jask

Pat, if you are logged in, you can go back to the post you like ( or any other ) and click the "Thanks" button on that post.

Cootbruce, thanks! I had no idea the material was so ( relatively ) soft, great info.