• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp Restoration

As you can see from the pics we also put the floor pans back in as to have a work space. In a couple of weeks I move back to sd and will work on this alot more. I need to go through the oc-4 and double check everything. At first look it looks great but will definately double check everything.

I intend to begin hanging all of the tin back on the cat right away and get the rear end back in it so we can fabricate the new drive shaft. We will also be building the new dog house.

bth_140_zpscce50cf8.jpg

quick shot of the engine side harness before we began soldering
bth_137_zps9fee54e8.jpg

Put the radiator in and clearances look good...
bth_139_zps62a42007.jpg

bth_141_zps0fd95124.jpg

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, the sweet hours of labor, fruit is on its way... it will be a tasty one... :)

p.s. I started having thoughts of throwing a small Toyo diesel into mine now... but cant find an auto tranny setup, all are with a 5 sp...

having hard time grasping the concept of using a clutch pedal with the whole setup of all of the levers... :biggrin:

Nikson

A diesel would be awesome.. when I was considering putting my manual back in I looked into using a hydraulic clutch similar to the aftermarket one you would put in a hobbystock race car. That way you wouldnt have any linkage and you could run your line into the engine compartment anywhere you like... I think that the automatic will be a plus expecially with the oc4 rear end. Your machine seems to do a great job with getting around at 30hp so I can only imagine what it would do with 100hp.:biggrin:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson

A diesel would be awesome.. when I was considering putting my manual back in I looked into using a hydraulic clutch similar to the aftermarket one you would put in a hobbystock race car. That way you wouldnt have any linkage and you could run your line into the engine compartment anywhere you like... I think that the automatic will be a plus expecially with the oc4 rear end. Your machine seems to do a great job with getting around at 30hp so I can only imagine what it would do with 100hp.:biggrin:

I've got a client in Eastern Russia that is trying to make it possible right now for me to source a whole 20ft container of the toyota diesel engines with trannys.

Seems like its a very good idea for most folks even in the Jeeping community, since everyone is wanting a torquie engine with better MPGs.

Have seen guys use a 3.0L toyota 4 cyl diesel engine in Tundra (vs the V8) and get up to 35MPGs on highway with a trailer...

So just makes me wonder what it would do on the cat.

One thing to keep in mind is that OC4 is on the weaker side, so lots of HPs/Torque wont be good for it., just need to get something to do a little better job than the VH4D.

Yea that is the unfortunate thing about the oc-4. But my theory is if it breaks we will improve it. I have read that the most common failures were due to people popping the clutch in them under load.. So to some extent the auto will help with that!!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea that is the unfortunate thing about the oc-4. But my theory is if it breaks we will improve it. I have read that the most common failures were due to people popping the clutch in them under load.. So to some extent the auto will help with that!!

So, is there a way to improve the OC4?

An auto in a cat I think just makes sense, due to the fact that last thing I want to be destructed while riding is gear shifting & clutches...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the snow trac dosn't need a lot of shifting i just put it in high and go occasionaly i drop it down in lower gears to move slower. but there are no krustys to convoy with so i normaly just leave it in high. if some one ever brings a krusty up here i may use second gear so i don't run away from it on the trail. as for the oc-4 i think the dude who replaced his with the 2 speed weasel diff was on to something. i have never seen one of those blown up, weasels always got a bad rap but never for their steering diferentials i seen them survive behind sbc's and 300 ford sixes.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the snow trac dosn't need a lot of shifting i just put it in high and go occasionaly i drop it down in lower gears to move slower. but there are no krustys to convoy with so i normaly just leave it in high. if some one ever brings a krusty up here i may use second gear so i don't run away from it on the trail. as for the oc-4 i think the dude who replaced his with the 2 speed weasel diff was on to something. i have never seen one of those blown up, weasels always got a bad rap but never for their steering diferentials i seen them survive behind sbc's and 300 ford sixes.

Well, if I was to upgrade the motor, I would most likely chose to go with a diesel, and that would be a 2.4L Toyo one most likely, the 2LT-E if I can ever get to it, and that would be a torque setup for the axle., not to overpower it, but still much more than a 30HP Wisconsin

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That Wisconsin would make an excellent engine for a stand bye generator set. With 30 HP and a 20 Kw genset belted to it. Put ski's on it, and a cabinet for it to be in and you could power up a large camp site, and your neighbors as well....

Just kidding...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
hobart used to make a 400 amp military standrad welder generator with that engine the things were a bigger gas hogg than my lincon sa200

I do wish the oc-4 was a little heavier duty but for my use I don't anticipate much trouble. I am not towing and it will only be for recreational use. I will likely upgrade to heavy duty axles at some point. This thing will likely be in our heated shop most nights. Has anyone ever put a block heater on the rear transaxle to help prevent ice and keep the oil warm?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You could use a magnetic one on the bottom of it. I have one I use on the little tractor.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i havn't done it on an axle but we do it on hydraulic tanks up here just use a little 500 to 700 watt stick on patch heater and amzoil power shift fluid it's synthetic and has friction modifiers for your steering bands.

Also completed the installation of the rachet shifter had to make a custom bracket for the cable and also the billet block to attach the shift cable to the shift linkage. We also shortened the shifter for the transaxle, and the transaxle linkage. We had to move the shifter back to make room for the automatic transmission.
bth_new024_zpse6a6b669.jpg

bth_new022_zps496e8a1c.jpg
bth_new025_zps6f0c7993.jpg

bth_newer042_zps1c383464.jpg

bth_new017-1_zpsf0273e4e.jpg

Next on the list is
-Drive shaft
-Transmission cooler
-Exhaust
-finishing wiring
-plumb fuel lines
-sheet sides
-hang suspension & bogies

Nikson,

My goal is to try to make it as quiet as possible. I think with several layers I should be able to make it pretty tolerable. this first layer is a dynamat material. next i will use a layer of juke and then rubber mat to top it off.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson,

My goal is to try to make it as quiet as possible. I think with several layers I should be able to make it pretty tolerable. this first layer is a dynamat material. next i will use a layer of juke and then rubber mat to top it off.

Oh, I feel you there,

I'm looking into a possibility of purchasing a 1450, and will try to make it as comfy as I can as far as noise as well...

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
where will you be running your cat ? Are you into a Jamboree ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
after fixing my front axles with torsion axles I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

I would like to switch to torsion axles in the near future. I will likely run it for a year and see how engine/trans combo work and whether it will be necessary to wide track.

Iron goat I have been looking into making it to the jamboree. I am hoping that I can get work off and come!!