• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration pictures

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok Snow trac owners ! I got my head out of my A## . Boy was ever stuck. Anyway got the first pictures taken of the KT7 before restoration . I got off all the extra hyd. lines and valves that the snow grooming club had added . I now have enough old hyd lines to circle the world !
Tomorrow the center roof section comes off and then the fun begins !!! Oh Boy !!!!!
The engine runs strong and I see no reason to pull it . Going to take it as far as I can before removing tracks .
Big Al

Attachments

• KT7-4.jpg
    KT7-4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,166
  • KT7-9.jpg
    KT7-9.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,159
  • KT7-10.jpg
    KT7-10.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,226

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok Snow trac owners ! I got my head out of my A## . Boy was ever stuck. Anyway got the first pictures taken of the KT7 before restoration . I got off all the extra hyd. lines and valves that the snow grooming club had added . I now have enough old hyd lines to circle the world !
Tomorrow the center roof section comes off and then the fun begins !!! Oh Boy !!!!!
The engine runs strong and I see no reason to pull it . Going to take it as far as I can before removing tracks .
Big Al

Attachments

• KT7-10.jpg
    KT7-10.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,179
  • KT7-4.jpg
    KT7-4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,144
  • KT7-9.jpg
    KT7-9.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,127

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Al, i like the shape of this particular Kristi!:thumb: It looks better than the early ones you put on the forum. I didn't know there was a choice! How many Kristi variants are there, and when was the company last trading?

Nice picture Al. :applause:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Tommo ,

This model never went into production . There were 4 KT7 proto types made from what I have been told . #1 was a steel body and to heavy . #2,#3, seem to be lost and no ones no where . This is #4 and the only one I know of . It is powered by a 4cyl Ford and is all hydrostatic drive .The body is hand laid fiberglass
Kristi started out with the KT2 ,then a KT3 ,then a KT4 , then a proto type KWT was made and is sitting in a container in Denver, Co . It looks like a 1964 chevy pickup on tracks . It has two drive systems and can have the tracks removed and run down the road in summer . I have put in a standing offer to buy it .
Last came the best of all . A "KT7" which is in the picture . Kristi put every idea they had learned from the prior models into the KT7 .It never made production as the company owner was killed and so died the company .This would have been about 1972 ,I believe .
It was a small company and you could pretty much order any style body design you wanted . Hope this information helps . There are Kristi's in Europe ,but the trouble is finding one . Over here in the states they come up quite often for sale . On the 28th of this month ,there is a KT2 going to auction in Canada .
Allen

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here are 3 more photos. They are taken from the rear of the unit . The last picture shows the rear seats . They face backwards . The center area has a storage shelf/engine cover (48"x48") which is not installed and is in the shop. Kristi has it listed as a 6 passenger unit ,but I am unsure how or where the other two seats were to be installed ?????
Big Al

Attachments

• KT7-11.jpg
    KT7-11.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,077
  • KT7-2.jpg
    KT7-2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,073
  • KT7.jpg
    KT7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,121

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How long is that thing? I thought it would be bigger. I remember seeing other photos and you shared a brochure with me once. But I had nothing to scale it to. But since you wrote in another thread that the width is a bit over 8' then I'm guessing it is 12 to 14 long?

Does it only seat 4?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good moring Bob ,

Yes it currently seats four . Someplace I have information that says it is a 6 seater ,but as I have already stated I do not know where they would put two more seats . There is a ton of room between the front and back seats ,over the engine housing and I suppose two to four more seats could go there ,but headroom would be limited .
I will have to measure it ,but I believe the KT7 is about 13 feet long . I know track width is 8 feet +.
Big Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Today I removed the front seats , entry door, front side windows and front cab section . I now know why it is called a proto type . Once I got inspection covers off, you could see where different components had ,at one time been installed . There are items tack welded in place and then bolted down ,like the builders were trying different placement before drilling holes.

The center roof section is completely rotted and will need replacment . I hope to find a large piece of polished Aluminium ,so I can have it bent into a one piece cover and set it up with quick disconnect fasters ,so the center section can be removed easily to access the engine compartment .
I am now sure that the linkage steering cables are not orginal or were a temporary fix as they are too short for proper routing.
Once I get the added hydraulic tank removed (the big white tank in the last picture ) the engine compartment should be much easier to navigate .

The wiring system ,while repaired and working is a complete mess and will get replaced with a one piece loom . Engine choke and throttle control cables will be moved from engine firewall to the main operator control panel .
The cab heater has been added under the operators feet and it will be moved to the center section to vent heat front and rear and to allow more leg room for the operator .
Going to head to the car dismantler to see if I can find a small van seat to replace the two buckets in front . Seems like this would work better than the present system .

Attachments

• kristi KT4 004.jpg
    kristi KT4 004.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,028
  • kristi KT7005.jpg
    kristi KT7005.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,015
  • kristi KT7 006.jpg
    kristi KT7 006.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,973

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While you have it apart, are you giving any thought to a coating that might be applied to the interior to not only insulate it but also improve the looks? From the photos it looks like the interior is raw fiberglass?

Bummer about the rotted center cover! How is the frame underneath? Or have you seen that yet?

I know on my Snow Trac the prior owner saved me a bunch of trouble by completely rebuilding the steel underframe with new steel.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Bob ,

Yes, it will be given a 1st class interior . Marine carpeted floors, Insulated covered walls ,Sound proofing in the motor compartment , Sun roof , mini bar in the back and more . I am still looking at my options .The steel frame looks good from what I can see . I should know more over the weekend .
I think we are headed down to the big city tomorrow to look at and start ordering replacement parts , radios, additional lights and goodies . The first thing I order is a "remote oil filter set-up" for the engine !!! There is NO Way , this old fart is going to stand on his head to change oil !
There had been a roof rack over the center section that was removed . Water leaked in through the mounting holes and delaminated the fiberglass covered plywood roof !
I am going to stop off at the LineX dealer and see what he would charge to shoot the bottom half of the body . I am hoping I can add color to the lineX to give it the same copper color design as my King Ranch Ford truck .
I kinda thought that the center roof section would end up needing replacement , as it had a big dip in the center .
Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Didn't get anything done . Ended up grading my buddies road . First time on a new 210 John Deere4x4 . Wow ! Nice machine .

Anywhere ,My Buddy owns a metal shop and told me a Polished Alum center roof section for the snowcat was doable :thumb: !!! Can be bent and made in one piece of Alum so there will be no seams . Going to get some cost for material on Monday .
Can anyone see why I would not want to go this way ????? I think it is a easy fix ,but maybe I am missing something ???????
Al

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
. . . a Polished Alum center roof section for the snowcat was doable . . . Can anyone see why I would not want to go this way . . .
Al
Glare?
Scratches?

Just my opinion but it strikes me that polished aluminum is going to be like a mirror and reflect a lot of light, I'm not sure how desireable that is.

The main issue I would have is the susceptability to tree scratches that a polished body panel would inherantly have. I've driven through trees with him where the branches scraped along the side windows. I'd presume most folks would face that situation from time to time. A polished surface will show every scratch. Have you considered a 'brushed' surface? It would have a dull finish and hide scratches better. Or a painted surface?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Glare?
Scratches?

Just my opinion but it strikes me that polished aluminum is going to be like a mirror and reflect a lot of light, I'm not sure how desireable that is.

The main issue I would have is the susceptability to tree scratches that a polished body panel would inherantly have. I've driven through trees with him where the branches scraped along the side windows. I'd presume most folks would face that situation from time to time. A polished surface will show every scratch. Have you considered a 'brushed' surface? It would have a dull finish and hide scratches better. Or a painted surface?

Bob,
Those are some points to consider .thanks

Today the rear cab section came off as well as the seats , gas tank and windows . I am glad I am going all the way through this as the gas tank was just sitting in a support tray under the seats . No hold down brackets of any kind ! Geez!
Found about 1/4 inch of muck and grease on the floor after I got everything pulled . I doubt if the engine oil has ever been changed in the motor . Kristi did not leave any way to get to the oil plug !!! All kinds of old hoses and tools laying down underneath the engine ! I am going to rig up some kind of a oil drain system with a remote shut off valve.
The added metal supports for towing snow grooming implements is cracked in half .
Hydraulic filter is going to get relocated to clean up the engine compartment.
I found out today the big white hydraulic tank that sits on top of the engine is part of the orginal system . Good Grief !!! It looks like it belongs in a "Maytag wash machine" more than a snow cat . Need to see if I can relocate that puppy . The way it is there is absolutley no way to drain Hydraulic oil without giving engine a bath . Maybe this is where all the oil crap in the bottom came from !
I am beginning to think electrical wiring was redone at one time . Wires go in every direction with no thought to what they are crossing .
Still having a good time ! Here are two more pictures with the rear section removed .
Al

Attachments

• kristi KT7 12.jpg
    kristi KT7 12.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,902
  • kristi KT7 013.jpg
    kristi KT7 013.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,850

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
WOW someone has been busy! What a great start BigAl. When you get you engine all done and broke in (is it getting rebuilt?) I would use Amsoil remote mount dual oil filtration system. You will only need to chage your oil and filters once a year. Actually only the filters and just replentish the oil that was in the old filters.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
WOW someone has been busy! What a great start BigAl. When you get you engine all done and broke in (is it getting rebuilt?) I would use Amsoil remote mount dual oil filtration system. You will only need to chage your oil and filters once a year. Actually only the filters and just replentish the oil that was in the old filters.

Good Morning Mike ,
Yep! ,I been busy . I was wondering which oil remote filter system I should get . You like Amsoil huh??? The engine seems to run strong and I am undecided about pulling it . This oil plug thing has got me a little bugged . There is no way they would have changed oil through the plug ,so how did they do it ??? If it never was changed , how many engine hours are on it ??? Maybe it already is Amsoil ??? Too many question for this early in the morning ....
Looks like I will be sending in a oil sample to Cat get the results on it and pull another compression check on it .
Big Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok!!! The upper half of the cab is all off . HAPPY DAYS!!!!:coolshade
The radiator which is out of a 1965 ford mustang looks like it was used to store grease in the fins . What a mess ! No Way it could have cooled like that .The Radiator brackets are broke and the support frame was never welded in place ! The only thing holding the radiator from going through the fan was the air intake box ! I am going to look at some aftermarket cooling fans to replace the engine driven fan that is now in place . I once owned a Radiator shop so now all that expertize going to be put to use .
Starting to get a pretty good pile of crap and old parts !!!

On a good note I found a very small access floor plate to get to the engine oil plug . That makes me feel better .
Grease is everywhere and tomorrow it should get pulled out and given a good degreasing and a pressure wash .
Found 4 really nice new "hi back" boat bucket seats on Ebay that I hope to win to install back in with the new interior .
Cut the tracks off to ease in moving . Started a separate thread on this .
The track shock system is pretty slick . The lift rams are mounted on coil springs to help ease any sudden force put on the rams .
Big Al:tiphat:

Attachments

• kristi KT7 021.jpg
    kristi KT7 021.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,774
  • kristi KT7 022.jpg
    kristi KT7 022.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,733

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok ,I got an early start today after insulting a few Snow Trac owners over my morning coffee .:coolshade Dragged out the old pressure washer and a gallon of degreaser and went to work . 6 hours later the grease was gone on the Kristi but was now all over me ! I actually think I can move better all greased up !

I did make some disappointing discoveries . At one time the old Kristi must have ran over a really big stump or rock . There are 3 major cracks/ holes in the "fiberglass" plywood reinforced floor where something hit it hard :pat: !!These are not stress cracks ,but some kind of exterior caused damage . The motor will have to come out to fix these as well as the whole ladder frame assembly . When I am through the Kristi is going to be completely torn apart .
I did not even waste my time Comp checking the engine as it is coming out anyway . I will get it on a engine stand and go through it .
The "shop built implement towing system" appears to have cause a lot of damage to the rear of the frame. I will need to cut this all out and repair it correctly . I think it is a good idea to have a pintle hook in the back of the Kristi ,but only if it can be secured correctly and not break the ladder frame .
I took about a ton of pictures to aid in reassembly but will wait to post them at a later date .
Gentlemen ... I do believe it is "Miller Time" :drink: .
Big Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok ,

I spent the day removing the operator controls ,instrument Panel , lights, hydraulic tank ,heater and anything else I could take off .
Drew out a diagram of the Hydrualic Hoses and where they attach . What a nightmare ! Hoses going everywhere ! I still think some are wrong but hydraulic's is my weakest area . When I get back to installing the hydraulics back into the Kristi I am going to trailer the whole rig to the hydraulic hose shop to make sure it is done correctly .
Tomorrow may see the engine coming out ! Suppose to snow heavy tonight and I may be plowing snow instead .

The one thing that keeps amazing me about this snowcat is how techically advanced some items are done and other things are just Rinky Dinked together !!! It is like the engineers got tired at some point in construction and just started to short cut the assembly !

On a good note , I picked up a complete motor manual on the Ford Industrial Motor as well as a complete "break down manuals" on the Funk Hydrostatic drives ! It won't help anybody but me , as this seems to be the only KT7 in existance .
Al

Attachments

• 1kristi-KT7---hydraulic-hos.jpg
    1kristi-KT7---hydraulic-hos.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,709

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Today I drew up another Hydraulic hose diagram , then another ,then another !!!Finally took about 3 million pictures from every angle I can think of ! Finally it hit me to treat the two systems as independent of each other and a light blub clicked on ! :pat: After that it was easy !!!

So then I sarted rippin,tearin, and removing every piece of hydraulic "ANYTHING" I could take out . All the hydraulics are out !

Unbolted the engine mounts,disconnected the muffler and got ready to pull the Ford motor with the Funk hydro static drive motors still attached .

Ok where is my Allen wrench set to undo the 2 drive shafts u joint set screws ???.... Hmmmm.:rolleyes: ...???? oh Crap! It's up in Idaho at the ranch !!!

So tomorrow I head to town to buy a Allen wrench set . While I am at it ,the wife and I are heading down to the flea market to see what other goodies I may find .
Hey Bogus Bob !!! I hear some guy there is hocking "cheap ass Coffee mugs" with a "Snow Trac logo" on them for 25 cents each ! Says he found them on the side of the road !! :moon: Might be fun for skeet shootin !!!

Big Al:coolshade

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh man what a day !

I go to town and I pick up my allen wrench set and $354 dollars of other stuff that I am sure I don't need but somehow ended up in my basket .Also put my 12 Snow Trac mugs in the gun case for the next time I go shoot skeet.
Headed for the shop to attack the motor removal . Took out the set screws on the u joints and grabbed the engine lift . Hooked up the lift chains and put a little tension on her . Hmmm .... need to slide the engine forward and pop the u joints off the spline shafts . Hey ???? whats this ??? Holy CRAP !!! Some idiot has welded the damn u joints on the other end of the spline shaft !!! Yelled to the wife ... HONEY !!! Make me a drink ! Her reply is "You don't Drink ????? My reply is "I do Now !!!
Ok I finally get the u joints loose and the motor is ready to pull . I start lifting and something falls off the motor ???? Holy CRAP!!! The upper motor mounts did not have any bolts in them !!! The motor was just sitting,wedged in the frame ! I yell to the house ... HONEY!!! make that drink a double !!!
So here I sit too intoxicated to work any more tonight and wishing I could find the dumb ass who did this to my Kristi .
Tomorrow if I can find my shop I plan on pulling the gear drive and track rails .
On another note I have invented a new drink !!! When you don't have much around to drink you make do with whatever you have . Anyone for a Rum and Dr. Pepper . I call it a Dr. Rum .

Yoo wee ! This room is spinning !
Big Al:drink:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This thread reminds me of that movie where the workers had to build 2000 cars in 3 days. Cant remember the name but the cars were missing quite a few essentail parts! Yup the Quality of the Kristi products shows through Al:yum: :moon: :D

That reminds me of another commercial: I could a had a "SNOW TRAC"!

I'll check on some local AA meetings for you BigAl. Sounds like to me your gonna need more than one Kind of Doctor:drink: to help you with this project.:D

Ouch! Man I'm feeling my oats tonight! Ahh I never liked the KKK anyway! (Kristi Klan Klub)

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
"Gung Ho" the story of "Assan" motors move to the USA, starring Michael Keaton. One of my favorites. (They had to build 15,000 cars in a month. :eek: )

Gung Ho

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
This thread reminds me of that movie where the workers had to build 2000 cars in 3 days. Cant remember the name but the cars were missing quite a few essentail parts! Yup the Quality of the Kristi products shows through Al:yum: :moon: :D QUOTE]

And yet the Kristi is still a better built unit then your Snot Trac ..... Even with all its flaws .

In an "independent study poll" the question was asked of 120,365,014 people what they would rather have . A Kristi or a Snow Trac ??? The amazing results were that *120,365,013 overwhelming said a Kristi was there brand of Choice !!!! The other guy who abstained from voting thought it was the line to the Men's bathroom . Nobody wanted to be seen in a Snow Trac!!! .

As one "poll voter" put it after voting ... "The Snow Trac is a lot like a overweight women , They are both fun to ride ,but nobody wants to be caught on one" !!!

*( poll margin error of +- 3%)

:coolshade Big Al :coolshade

Ricochet

Wow, this is a very interesting restoration. Good luck with it all and I'm looking forward to seeing the end results! :thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ricochet said:
Wow, this is a very interesting restoration. Good luck with it all and I'm looking forward to seeing the end results! :thumb:

So am I !!! :drink: :drink: Hicup...
Big Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It just keeps getting better and better . This morning I woke up to rain falling . I should have recognized this ominous sign and stayed in bed . But NO... I merrily head to the shop after breakfast and into impending doom !

Start taking off the boogie wheels which requires a 4 way lug wrench and a 3’ extension pipe to break the lug nuts loose . I am pretty sure they were put on by some big guy named “Bubba” , with one hell of a mean streak .

Ok , wheels are off now and time to tackle the track rails . 3 hours later I finally get the last snap ring off ,so I can remove the rail assembly .

I start trying to remove the gear drive assembly and the neighbor shows up on his ATV . He wants to help , so I tell him to grab that “ ice pick looking thing and stick it behind this snap ring when I pop it out of the groove . Oh Yeah … You can see where this is going !!!
Anyway neighbor goes home very quickly and I get a band aid for my finger where ice pick made a small hole . Neighbor runs over my sprinkler head as he is high tailing it out of sight on his ATV .
I go back to working on removing gear box and muttering about needing a drink .I then realize I need an internal snap ring plier to remove the last set of snap rings . I head to the local Napa dealer and the salesman ,who is all of 13 tells me “ These are our best pliers” . Never trust a 13 year old !!! Anyway I buy pliers and head back home to finish up . Neighbor waves as I go by and I flip him off with Band Aided finger :finger1: . I try to assemble snap ring pliers and finally end up reading directions 30 minutes later . The last set of snap rings are inside a 3/8 inch steel incased case that Houdini could not open and has an inspection hole about the size of a quarter . I start thinking I may need a Chinese fella with two universal joints on his finger to get to that last snap ring set because there is no way my fat fingers will ever get in that little area. . I keep trying and get it to move a little . One last try and I am squeezing for all I am worth . That is about 9000 pounds of force . Those “great” Napa Pliers fold up like a shot duck during hunting season !!!!!! Lucky for me I have my Band Aided finger in just the right spot to cushion the blow of the two handles banging together !!! :4_11_9: I let out a yell and crotch hop across the shop . I can now feel my Heart beat through my finger .

For those who may not know what a “Crotch Hop” is , I will explain . You put your injured hand ,finger or whatever between your legs and hop really fast while muttering every cuss word you know .

Wife yells out the door that she is making me a Drink ! A double ! :drink:

Not to be denied my moment of success I attack the snap ring with the biggest hammer I can find ! The driver side track/gear assembly is finally off !!!

Tomorrow I am going to try and do the right side track assembly if my finger stops hurting .

Big Al:tiphat: