• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1972 Aktiv ST4 "Snow Trac"

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So Bob ,

I Don't think I have heard anyone ask what kind of fuel mileage this snowtrac is getting . Do "they" ( the factory) rate it off MPG or by the hour meter ???
Al

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen, I have no clue what the fuel mileage is for a Snow Trac! I suppose it might be in the owners manuals somewhere, but I can't recall reading it. I seem to recall reading that a Kristi KT3 would get 6 to 8 hours of running time out of a tank of fuel. If the Snow Trac and the Kristi have similar size fuel tanks, then I'd suppose that they get roughly similar use times based on the fact that they have the same engine. But that is only a guess.

I suppose I would be a lot more concerned about the fuel use rate if I took the Snow Trac up into the mountians, but having its own garage space in my shop, I just make sure I top off the tank before I go for a drive. Honestly, after the first fill, I don't think I've ever put more than 1 or 2 gallons into the tank.

DaveNay said:
If I remember right from my days of messing around with CB's in High School, you will want to ditch that little rubebr duck antenna
Probably correct for the longest range, but the longer the antenna the more likely it is to get smacked off the roof by a tree branch.

One thing I was looking at today while driving was the headroom so I could build an overhead console like BigAl and Arlow built for their machines. There is plenty enough room for a CB radio up there, and an electronic compass and the Clinometer. So I think the CB will probably be purchased sometime this summer and then I'll have to worry about the antenna after that!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ST4's get about 4 miles to the gallon. I noticed that your tracks got tighter as the run progressed. Be Ware of overtensioning due to snow build-up in the tracks. 2 Guy's busted Axel housings last season because of this. They are real expensive and a real hassel to change out, not to mention that the machine becomes impossible to move. Your Snow thrower covers are missing from your rear 2 bogey's. The old Truck flap style seemed to work better. Check the service manuals.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Help, I need new (longer) wiper arms but I don't know what will fit??? :smileywac

I was out in the blizzard that hit the midwest yesterday and found out, under the worst possible conditions, that my wipers are woefully inadequate. My wiper arms are too short and when the wipers are used, they clean an area that only occupies the lower 1/2 of the windshield so that you have to bend down to look through the cleared part of the windshield. My line of sight is just over the TOP of the area that is cleaned by the wipers.

Are wiper arms "universal" fit items so that that I can just buy longer wiper arms and use swap them? Or do I have to find some bizarre late 1960's VW part that was from some obscure model? Are VW Bus arms longer than VW Bug arms?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 434

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, take one of your wiper arms off and take it to the parts store. They should have universal arms that are adjustable in length that will fit. I have adjustable arms on my 1200 LMC and they work well. The other option is you will just have to shrink to fit the arms you have and learn to use what you have now.....:yum: Have fun playing in your new snow.:yum:

nwerring

I have the newer (?) model where the wipers are mounted over the windows... They clear your line of sight a lot better. I needed new motors though, and went to a boat equipment store and got two great motors that could be adjusted to fit the SnowTrac perfectly. It also had a universial shaft that will accept better wiper blades (both longer and better..) The added bonus with accessories for boats are that they are usually in stainless steel and a bit more robust than the car stuff. I'll post a photo later...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nwerring said:
I have the newer (?) model where the wipers are mounted over the windows... They clear your line of sight a lot better. I needed new motors though, and went to a boat equipment store and got two great motors that could be adjusted to fit the SnowTrac perfectly. It also had a universial shaft that will accept better wiper blades (both longer and better..) The added bonus with accessories for boats are that they are usually in stainless steel and a bit more robust than the car stuff. I'll post a photo later...
I have room above the windshield where I could mount the wiper motors if I need to move mine, but I'd prefer to find a longer arm. I do like the boat store solution! That is a great suggestion.
mtntopper said:
Bob, take one of your wiper arms off and take it to the parts store. They should have universal arms that are adjustable in length that will fit.
Seems reasonable to start out by removing one of what I have and seeing what is available that will fit. This may be a summer project as the marinas in my area are not open yet and I think I'd like to see what the boat shops have.

Here is a photo that more clearly shows how little coverage I get from my wipers. You can see the wiper arm is just to short to reach up very high on the window, and that requires the use of short wiper blades so I only get coverage of the bottom 1/2 of the window.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 409

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some photos of our most recent snow. :letitsnow:
Unfortunately the camera battery died so I didn't get any action shots! :17875: :snow2_smi:

The first photo shows me driving over to the house.

Photo #2 shows the view looking out the driveway (right after I plowed it for the 2nd time). It was too windy (30mph sustained/40+ gusts) to use the snow blower so I had to use the front loader and a rear blade. Not sure why I bothered to plow, the road was not passable :smileywac

Photo #3 is a view out the back when we came back from a night drive. We were the only vehicle on the road :coolshade as the county police issued a warning to stay off the roads because the snow plows were getting stuck in the drifts (which were reported to be up to 9' but I never saw one that tall).

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 419
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 413

Vance

Looks like fun - glad that you got all that snow so you get your cat out and get some pics that don't show grass coming up through the tracks!!!

Keep the pics coming,

Vance

P.S. I'd take your wipers down to the local Napa or tractor place - they are very resourceful.

Moorbagger

Hello Bob,

very good condition for you and your Snow Trac, nice picture

Here in Germany we miss snow all the wintertime :letitsnow:

the weather today sunny and 12* celsius I think ca. 50*Farenheit

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look what just arrived, it was a gift from my low friends low places (aka not true & exclusive fans of Snow Tracs)

Thanks guys, it will be bolted to the back of my Snow Trac.

Attachments

• 164836420997_3300.jpg
    164836420997_3300.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 463

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Look what just arrived, it was a gift from my low friends low places (aka not true & exclusive fans of Snow Tracs)

Thanks guys, it will be bolted to the back of my Snow Trac.

Hey Bob ,
I know where one is mounted on one of them there Kristi KT7's :yum: :yum: you like to make fun of .
So it ain't just a Snot Trac thing . Its a Snow Cat thing !!!!:thumb:

Congratulations Big Daddy and welcome to the group :alc: !!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Despite the fact that I am confined to sitting for the next month or so due to surgery, I've been collecting parts for the continuation of my upgrades. The new rear strobes arrived and they should tuck right into place under the roof rail. While it might be overkill to add them, I often drive with the sunroof popped up and that obsures the strobe that is mounted on the front of the cab.

I'm also looking to install an overhead console above the drivers area, similar to what ARLOW did in his Snow Trac or what BigAl did in his Kristi KT7.

Attachments

• 1stobe01.jpg
    1stobe01.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 436
  • 1strobe00.jpg
    1strobe00.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 428
  • attachment.gif
    attachment.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 431

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I like those units. I am currently stripping the paint off my Snow Master. Messy business! I have a few ideas on where I will be placing mine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
I like those units.
These are small LED strobe units, certainly not designed for emergency vehicle use. However for adding just that added bit of rear facing lighting that I am looking for when driving on snowcovered roadways, I think it will be plenty enough; especially since they are just suppliments to a commerical duty strobe that is on the roof.

My wife hates it when we drive with the overhead strobe flashing, but on the roadway, or when running on the shoulder of the road, I prefer not to take chances. I don't run the overhead strobe out in the fields or woods. These two rear strobes will be connected to the same dashboard switch that controls the overhead strobe.

Cooperboy54

Re: 1971 Aktiv Fischer ST4 "Snow Track"

Ron, why wait to NEXT winter when we have THIS winter coming up pretty quick!!!:rolleyes:

I am hoping to haul it around a bit this winter, probably into lower Wisconsin and into Michigan too. I may just show up at your door one day with a crazy red toy on the back of a trailer!
Ron, I'm also in South Eastern Michigan, Clarkston and would love to come see your ride.
Please let me know if your ever in the area or heading North this winter.
I'm new to this forum. Your trac looks awesome. Great job!
Steve

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ron, I'm also in South Eastern Michigan, Clarkston and would love to come see your ride.
Steve
Check the date first. This add was from 2007.
Snow Tracs do come up, just none right now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steve
It has been sold, it was a great machine but I ran out of garage space and started selling off some of my stuff.