• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

B 12 bus restro

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
OK OK here are some photos already

As far as I know This is a 1949 B-12 bus with a rebuilt original 251 chrysler industrial engine with the 3 speed manual we built new drive hubs and updated the original drive sprockets to the high speed Sidewalk plow rubber sprockets. new electrical and gages new poly gas tanks new front seat on linear slides to move out of the way to ease entry. :thumb:

Attachments

• B-12 dash.jpg
    B-12 dash.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 486
  • B-12 left front.jpg
    B-12 left front.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 489
  • B-12 right.jpg
    B-12 right.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 482
  • B-12 right front.jpg
    B-12 right front.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 492

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks pretty damn good!

Thanks, A labor of love......... All new tires and we filled them too. turning radius on hardpack and tar roads, not very good :smileywac but in the deeper snow about like a Tucker :yum: Going to have to change the heater core out under the dash I think someone had put Radiator stop leak in the system and that will plug one up faster than corking a wine bottle :1062:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How fast is it? Does the track/hub upgrade do anything for handling or speed?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks great, Boggie :thumb:

Here is a before pic so you all will appreciate the amount of work.

Attachments

• pixBRB12beforeOP.jpg
    pixBRB12beforeOP.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 446

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, Pix :) Pete said to say hello :wave:

Bob, It will do about 30-35 depending on terrain.
No, The upgrade was only because the old cast iron sprockets that had rubber bolted to them was shot. and these will last for a lot longer.

I went and bought marine carpet for the floor but I'm not sure if I will install or not with all the snow and mud that gets hauled in.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, that B12 looks nice Boggie! You guys do an excellent job there! Any more pics of the interior? Wish I had the money for it. I've always liked those things!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went and bought marine carpet for the floor but I'm not sure if I will install or not with all the snow and mud that gets hauled in.
What about something like LineX for the floor? Durable and easy to hose out.
I used a Line-X type 2-part epoxy on the inside of my Snow Trac and then put marine carpeting over the top of it. I thought it might cut down some of the vibration noise. I was wrong. I also used it to spray the underside of my Snow Trac to protect the wood floor from moisture and the steel frame from rust; that has worked very well for me as it does not seem to hold snow and it has protected the underside very nicely.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Boggie, would it be possible to mount 2 wheels and tires either to the inside or outside of the skis to make it turn better on hard pack or ground surfaces? They could extend just enough below the ski to raise the ski up so it does not take the full force of the hard ground surface and this would help it turn better. They would drag a little in snow but maybe you could set it up to retract when not needed? Just trying to put your engineering background to work....:yum: and give you less time to spill your coffee.....:thumb:

kgracey

That bus is really cool. I can imagine that the ideal use of them is in the midwest where you can drive on snowy roads, frozen lakes, etc. I doubt there are any out west, but there should be! I wonder if that bus could be considered street legal and be driven on state highways. What a great way to go to town. I really enjoyed the pictures!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
would it be possible to mount 2 wheels and tires either to the inside or outside of the skis to make it turn better on hard pack or ground surfaces?
The front skis are INTERCHANGEABLE with front tires. However, you pose an interesting question. I'd be curious to see if anyone has done that and how successful it would be? It might work pretty well in some conditions but suck in deep/soft powder.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
That bus is really cool. I can imagine that the ideal use of them is in the midwest where you can drive on snowy roads, frozen lakes, etc. I doubt there are any out west, but there should be! I wonder if that bus could be considered street legal and be driven on state highways. What a great way to go to town. I really enjoyed the pictures!

Similar but newer Bombardier units are in use for snow coach touring of Yellowstone Park in the winter. Several different touring operators had these sitting around a 18 months ago when we passed through West Yellowstone Montana. The units below are a little unique as they have been re-powered with hi-performance GM 350 V8 engines and GM automatic transmissions. :thumb: Some in the storage yard had skis and some were outfitted with wheels. One had one ski and one wheel...:yum:

2576713740063129232S600x600Q85.jpg

2021586780063129232S600x600Q85.jpg

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The front skis are INTERCHANGEABLE with front tires. However, you pose an interesting question. I'd be curious to see if anyone has done that and how successful it would be? It might work pretty well in some conditions but suck in deep/soft powder.

The tires are used mostly for summer use and My rig is not made to accept tires the pictures Bill Tarnish posted have the cut outs to accept wheels. must note that the ride is about as smooth as any machine we have here really suprized me how well it travels for a simple design. spring can on each front ski and spring cans between all four sets of tandems with a foot of snow it really floats along. almost din't spill my drink as I went.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Who is Bill Tarnish?

You know who that is............. Mtntopper with a tarnished snowcat because he never uses his cats there just tarnished from lack of use.
we need to see more pictures of his cats in use. We just like to give each other crap. But from what I here do not ever ever ever get Pigtails on your bad side or she will never go on another beer run for you :yum: :yum:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Better pray for more snow then!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will be tearing up the gravel otherwise..........

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Better pray for more snow then!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will be tearing up the gravel otherwise..........

Really I thought they had snow the way it sounded at elk hunting time is it all gone now ? OK bill then just get out the wax on wax off. :yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Really I thought they had snow the way it sounded at elk hunting time is it all gone now ? OK bill then just get out the wax on wax off. :yum:

We are still driving the 4X4 vehicles in and out. The snow is starting to build with about 6 inches more today. Additional snowfall is forecast for the next 3 days. :thumb: Tomorrow I will be putting the ORV/snowmobile stickers on the snowmobiles and the LMC. I may even park the snowmobiles and LMC closer to the house in the driveway. December 10th is an average date to begin snow catting in and out of the house. It looks about like a normal snow year as the 10th is getting near. I did plow the driveway with the tractor early this week to extend our 4X4 vehicle use for a few more days as the wind blew the snow into hard drifts in several places this past weekend.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

I beleive they were originally used in Quebec, Canada and other areas in the winter as school buses for children in the winter. Wouldn't that just be the coolest bus ride to school!:thumb:

P

Pigtails

You know who that is............. Mtntopper with a tarnished snowcat because he never uses his cats there just tarnished from lack of use.
we need to see more pictures of his cats in use. We just like to give each other crap. But from what I here do not ever ever ever get Pigtails on your bad side or she will never go on another beer run for you :yum: :yum:

Geez, I'm gone for a little while and look what pops up. Boggie, I don't do beer runs "FOR" anyone.. I do beer runs with or without..haha..:beer:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Great work!:respect: A:thumb: nother one saved!

As for the floor covering, once, in a work van, we put interlocking rubber mats on the floor. They lock together like puzzle pieces, and then you trim the edges to fit. Remove the whole floor as one unit to clean it. Cuts down on noise and is an insulator.