• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery is shot !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Geez!
I bought a new Generac Generator for the house 2 years ago . I just found out the battery is shot . I have a whoppin 5 hours total time on the unit . $68 bucks for another one . That sucks !! I guess it still beats living without power .:sad:
If your Generac keeps shutting down , I found out my low oil switch was set to high . Runs perfect now . I was told this is a common problem .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its a XP8000e I picked up at Lowes . Its a big sucker and I keep it in the garage . Because I run LPG everywhere i can , the unit will and does power the whole house with ease .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a similar unit. Every 2 years I have to change out the battery too. Last time the generator overcharged the battery to the point that it actually blew up. Turns out that this is a common issue with these units.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Keep a float batt charger on the new batt yr round. With what Squerly just said it might be good to check charge voltage while it's running.
Mike

loboloco

It might also be a good idea to buy and store a dry battery with sealed acid containers.
This would at least get you by any emergency time and have a little time to effect repairs after the crisis has passed.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
The units automatically start and do a "maintainer" run each week for between 10-20 minutes. During this time they charge the battery. The trick is to pay attention and make sure the unit does its maintainer run. If not, start checking to find out why.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
An XP8000eis a portable unit. It won't run an exercise mode.

Al, can you easily pull the battery out or even leave it in place and put it on a simple [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351518688&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+maintainer"]maintainer[/ame] when not in use? I have this exact unit on my motorcycle. It comes with a wire that you can put on the battery installed in it's normal place. Just wheel the generator near a wall outlet and plug it in to the tender.

My motorcycle battery lasted 10 years using this technique.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Al hawker aero space makes some small batterys called a oddisy pc 680 they will crank over planes but still fit in atv's you cant go wrong with them they are agm type batterys hawker is the parrent company for optma .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just call them. I had the same issue with my Generac and they mailed me a new one (with the acid separate of course) free of charge.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
An XP8000eis a portable unit. It won't run an exercise mode.

Al, can you easily pull the battery out or even leave it in place and put it on a simple maintainer when not in use? I have this exact unit on my motorcycle. It comes with a wire that you can put on the battery installed in it's normal place. Just wheel the generator near a wall outlet and plug it in to the tender.

My motorcycle battery lasted 10 years using this technique.

That is exactly what I think I should do . I looked at different maintainers today.
The store fella told me to bring in my battery and they would get me set up with a new one and a tickle charger to add to the system.