• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For Zach, family and community - Killed in Afghanistan.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know where to put this. Maybe here for now, Service Salutes later.

I received this from my sister a few minutes ago. I didn't know Zach personally but is like an extended family member. My sister is married to the McHenry's and I do know Stuart. Please put them in your prayers.

“Pray for the family and friends of Zach Smith who was killed Saturday in Afghanistan. He was best friends with Stuart McHenry who is still stationed in Afghanistan and he left behind a very close family and community. Pray for the community of Hornell who now begin to mourn this terrible loss, pray they would continue to seek God’s face and His comfort. Pray for Zach’s young wife to remain strong in her faith as she walks through this time of grief. Pray for the McHenry family and many others in the community who thought of Zach as a member of their family. Pray for a blanket of God’s peace and comfort over all of these dear people.”

I’ve attached a photo of Zach, Stuart and Matt. These three are best buddies and are all serving in Afghanistan. Zach is on the left, Stuart center and Matt on the right.

Attachments

• Copy of Ryan and Sarahs wedding 017.jpg
    Copy of Ryan and Sarahs wedding 017.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 642

Gina

My thoughts and best wishes are with them. I'm sorry for their loss and thank them for Zach's service.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I am so sad for his loss and thank him for his service.....kinda hard not to shed a tear when the picture adds the face to the name...so young it hurts.

In my thoughts and Prayers.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am so sad for his loss and thank him for his service.....kinda hard not to shed a tear when the picture adds the face to the name...so young it hurts.

In my thoughts and Prayers.

Yeah the picture does ad a lot more to it. It is probably the reason the tear running down my face right now. They all just seem to young.

Brian, thank them for me for their service. I will send prayers.

murph

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He is a local boy from the town where I worked. I read this a short while ago in our afternoon paper. He was a tribute to his community and his school. Condolences to his family and gratitude to him for his service so we can live free.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Condolences to the family and friends. So sad. The picture sure does make it hit home. Thanks for sharing Brian. :thumb:
Thanks to all who serve!!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My thought and prayers go to the family. We'll have a minute of silence for them this evening.

And my thoughts and prayer go out to those others, who I do not know, and have not heard of, that have made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom me, my family, and my country have.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Local Hornell paper article on Zach.
Lance Cpl. Zachary Smith, 19, a U.S. Marine from Hornell, was one of two U.S. service members killed by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan Saturday.
The popular Hornell High graduate, married just six months ago, was remembered as a friendly young man with a bright future.
“He always wanted to be a Marine. It’s something he always wanted and looked forward to. He was taking after his uncle Matt. That’s why he joined the Marines,” said his grandfather, Sid Smith of North Hornell.
“(Zachary) was always the life of the party. Excellent personality, always doing harmless devilish things. He was very well liked for his personality.”
Smith’s grandmother, Alice Smith, spoke for all in the Hornell area who knew him.
“He was a great kid,” she said, adding, “Full of life and and love, always on the up. He had a lot of friends and was a thoughtful boy.”
Smith is survived by his wife, Anne (Deebs) Smith, who he married last summer, his brother Nathaniel, 23, his sister Grace, 10, and his parents, Christopher Smith, an Amity-based state trooper who is the Canaseraga Central School resource officer, and his wife Kim, and his father-in-law and mother-in-law, Mike and Andrea Deebs of Hornell.
Family members are traveling today to Dover, Del., to take part in ceremonies returning their son to the United States. Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
Mayor Shawn Hogan said the Smiths are his neighbors on Mays Avenue and he was deeply saddened by the news.
“He grew up across the street from me and he always brought a smile to my face and happiness to my heart because he was such a warm personality ... It’s almost like a part of my family is gone. I just know this is a big loss for the community. You often hear about these brave young men dying and it’s always somebody else’s brother or son. Now this is something we have to cope with,” said Hogan.
Hogan ordered the city flags flown at half staff Sunday morning until Smith’s body is returned home.
“The brutality of war was dumped at our door step this morning and it’s ugly,” Hogan said.
Zachary Smith played two seasons of varsity football at Hornell High School, starting on the offensive line at the center position in 2007. He graduated in 2008 and joined the Marines in July that year.
Known by those close to him for his sense of humor and athleticism, Smith touched the lives of many coaches at HHS.
Mickey Carretto retired from the HHS football program after the 2008 season. Carretto coached the Red Raiders offensive line and linebackers from 1998 to 2008.
“I’ve known him since he was a baby,” Carretto said. “He was one of the most sincere, honest, nice kids that you’ll ever meet up with. Always a smile on his face and he always had a great positive attitude. He always took the time with the younger kids, he took them under his wing so to speak. In fact, he treated my little girls like gold. They’re as devastated as anybody right now ... You can’t say enough good things about him. A blue-chip kid who will be missed by everybody.”
Gene Mastin, HHS athletic director and head varsity football coach, spoke to the same degree of the soldier, neighbor, friend and family member that remains on so many minds.
“They don’t come any better,” Mastin said. “If Hornell ever had a favorite son it was probably Zach Smith. He was universally liked. Everything about him was good,” he said. “Devastating. You deal with so many great kids and Zach was right at the top of the list. I can’t imagine ... he was just everything that was good about any kid growing up today. He was just one of the best, most well-respected kids we’ve had in our school.”
Mastin said the pair formed a close bond over the years without effort.
“I don’t know but we did,” Mastin said. “He was just one of those kids that was so easy to like. And such a hard worker. He called me every week of every game, throughout the playoffs and things like that ... You get close with people, and this was somebody I was going to be close with for the rest of our lives. A great kid and a great family. One of those things that you really grapple to find words for. Just devastating.”
The character of Zachary Smith, who would have been 20 on April 2, according to his grandparents, was even felt by those who briefly knew him.
Jerry McAneny, a BOCES physical education teacher, did not teach Smith, but has a son who graduated in his class and spoke to Smith on several occasions.
“I knew him through school. He was just a great kid. He was a gentleman, a lot of fun to be around, and always respectful,” he said. “When he came back after joining the Marines he came into school with his uniform and talked to me. There was a fire drill and we went outside in the front lawn and he told me how he was doing and how proud he is to be serving the country.”
Others found great pleasure getting to know him better.
“He was always smiling, always able to joke, always respectful and never a problem. He was your all-American kid. He was the type of kid that if you’re a parent and you had a son you’d want your son to grow up and be just like him,” said Brian Dyring, a HHS physical education teacher who instructed Smith. “He was without a doubt the greatest kid to walk the hallways at Hornell High School.”
Michael Brewer is a manager at the Hornell Wegmans and worked with Smith, who was a cashier and handled various other responsibilities in the couple of years he worked there.
“The best way to describe him was an all-around likeable kid. He touched everyone with his humor ... He was a great kid. It was that simple. He was great to be around and he always lifted everyone’s spirits,” said Brewer.
Sid Smith said his grandson was a proud Marine and was just beginning his patrols. Alice Smith noted that the community has been respectful and there has been an “outpouring of love from our friends and family.”
Congressman Eric Massa, D-Corning, met with the family Sunday, and this morning issued the following statement: “Like all members of this community, I am saddened by the sacrifice of Lance Corporal Zach Smith and my heart goes out to his entire family. I will do everything in my power to help the entire Smith family through this terrible tragedy and I ask everyone to keep the Smiths in their prayers.”
According to the Associated Press, the two deaths brought to at least 22 the number of American service members killed so far this month — compared with only 14 for the whole of January last year. A mild winter has brought no respite to the fighting, which traditionally drops off during the cold months.
The south of Afghanistan is the Taliban heartland and is expected to be a major focus of fighting as the U.S. and NATO allies send 37,000 additional troops to turn the tide of the war.
Afghanistan is one of the most heavily mined countries in the world — a legacy from decades of Soviet occupation and subsequent civil wars. Tens of thousands of mines and unexploded bombs still pepper the rugged country as violence has slowed efforts to clear them.

Includes reporting by Derrick Balinsky and The Associated Press.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Im EXTREMELLY sorry BCZ. I cant really add to what I wrote in the PM but I just wanted to again say this is just a horrible loss for a honerable man who fought to defend, join to help his fellow man and to serve his Country.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hornell, N.Y. (AP) — An effort is under way to have an upstate New York post office named after a 19-year-old Marine recently killed in action in Afghanistan.
Congressman Eric Massa of Corning is pushing for federal legislation to have the Hornell Post Office named after Cpl. Zachary Smith, who was killed by a roadside bomb last month.
Smith's funeral was held last week in his Steuben (stoo-BEHN') County hometown, located 70 miles south of Rochester.
The post office in Scio (SYE'-oh) in neighboring Allegany (al-leh-GAY'-nee) County is named after Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham, who died in Iraq in 2004 when he used his helmet to shield squad members from a hand grenade.
The 22-year-old Dunham was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in January 2007.