• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper Missing In Florida Along With 2 Other Boaters

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
CHRISTINE ARMARIO | March 1, 2009 03:42 PM EST | AP
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/01/corey-smith-mraquis-coope_n_170886.html

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith and Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper were among four boaters missing Sunday off Florida's Gulf Coast, the Coast Guard and Smith's agent said.

Smith and Cooper were on a 21-foot vessel that left Clearwater Pass on Saturday morning for a fishing trip and did not return as expected, the Coast Guard said Sunday. Crews used a helicopter and a 47-foot boat to search a 750-square mile area west of Clearwater Pass on Sunday.

Smith owned the boat and he and Cooper had been on fishing trips before, said Ron Del Duca, Smith's agent. The pair had been teammates on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004. The Coast Guard said the two others were aboard, identified as Will Bleakley and Nick Schuyler, but they did not provide other details.

Smith, 29, had 30 tackles, including three sacks, and an interception in 12 games last season for the winless Lions. Smith, who is 6-foot-2, 250 pounds, also played for the San Francisco 49ers and played college ball at North Carolina State.

Del Duca called Smith one of the "good guys" of the league and was planning to start visiting teams as a free agent this week. He said he has spoken with Smith's family and is also in touch with Coast Guard officials.

"They've assured me that they're deploying all available resources to look for these guys and get them back," he said.

Cooper, 26, has played five seasons with the Buccaneers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Steelers and Raiders. He appeared in 26 games with the Buccaneers in 2004 and 2005, recording 30 tackles. He has played sparingly since as he has bounced between teams, appearing in 13 games and recording 10 tackles. Cooper, who is 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, played college ball at Washington.

Rick Davis, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Tampa, said seas were about 2 to 4 feet Saturday morning and increased to 3 to 5 feet in the afternoon. Late Saturday night, a small craft advisory was issued, when winds were around 20 knots and seas were up to 7 feet or more. There were no thunderstorms in the area.

Davis said the water was "extremely rough and choppy" on Sunday afternoon.

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist and Raiders senior executive John Hererra said the teams are monitoring reports.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Nick Schuyler has been found clinging to the boat, the others remain missing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Man, I'm gonna catch crap for this comment.

But . . . if you have ever watched any of these sports oriented reality shows on TV (i.e. American Gladiators) you might notice that 95% of the african american participants can't swim. I just think that learning to swim isn't a big part of the culture growing up. It's not a sport that you see a lot of african american participation in.

I mean have no racist intent - it's strictly just an observation. I know how to swim but I have no idea if it would have kept me alive in that situation either.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I can swim ten feet if it is a good day, the wife cannot swim, we made sure that our kids learned how.

The wife and I both grew up on a farm, no swimming pools or water nearby. Having access to a pool is needed for learning this lifesaving activity.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I can swim ten feet if it is a good day, the wife cannot swim, we made sure that our kids learned how.

The wife and I both grew up on a farm, no swimming pools or water nearby. Having access to a pool is needed for learning this lifesaving activity.

Very true, but if you are going to venture out into the open sea then it is a worthy skill to learn. Or at the very least master the dead man's float.

Actually, I wonder if they were wearing life jackets (I suspect not).

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Article I just read indicated at least one of the missing was a very strong swimmer. I agree with PB that this is unusual. I have met more black people that could not swim than ones that could... but.. I live in Kansas so.....

mak2

Article I just read indicated at least one of the missing was a very strong swimmer. I agree with PB that this is unusual. I have met more black people that could not swim than ones that could... but.. I live in Kansas so.....

In the Marine Corps they told us that a higher percentage of black men could not swim. Something about body fat and floating. Never thought of it again. But NFL player probably have low body fat. I could still be relaxing doing the back float reading a book as fat as I am.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't swim. I have a boat or two. I also have my Life Line racing life jackets on, and completely fastened as they are supposed to be, whenever underway in Plain Vanilla, as does anybody that wants a ride. The other boats, the jackets are out in the open, and everybody is told how to use them. Jetskis, PFD always on.

WTF is anybody going out into 3-5 footers in a 21' boat anyhow? WTF did they expect? OK, if I was going out in those seas because I absolutely had to go out in this slop for some reason, a float plan would have been logged, and life jackets would be on.

As for swimming, being a few miles offshore in 3-5 footers, well good luck to even the best of swimmers.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone should know how to swim!
I've known how since I was 5.
Bugged the shit outta my Dad when he was teaching my brother how to off a pier in the UP of Michigan at our summer home in those days.

Dad picked me up by the ass of my swimsuit and threw me in LOL

Of course, he then dove in after me and then showed me how.

I've been a Red Cross certified lifeguard in my teens, and can still swim like a fish, and love it.

Being in the water is very comforting to me, no fear at all.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
-- back on topic.. I hope they find the other guys who are missing.

This is a very sad situation.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
WTF is anybody going out into 3-5 footers in a 21' boat anyhow? WTF did they expect? OK, if I was going out in those seas because I absolutely had to go out in this slop for some reason, a float plan would have been logged, and life jackets would be on.

As for swimming, being a few miles offshore in 3-5 footers, well good luck to even the best of swimmers.

It's not the swimming that makes the difference. It's the comfort level and not panicking.

I've been in some huge swells in a boston whaler (not sure how big it was but it wasn't very big) where you basically only get to see where you are when you are at the top of the swell. This was near the south end of Alaska and I had a full survival suit on. I really don't like being out at sea when I can't see land.

I bet Fogtender has some good stories about being out at sea.