• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted: Tucker track rollers

muley180

Trust me, I am well aware that I am not the only person looking for rollers. Yet, I am hoping someone out there has some used rollers that could get me by. I have a 1983 542A w/28in. wide pontoons and the 2 1/8 diam. rollers. Thank you.

TINCANCUSTOMS

I'm not sure if this will help you as I'm not familiar with whats on your model but here's what were in the process of making. If these stats are a little different we may still be able to help you. Please read the following, hope it helps.
Doug
[FONT=&quot]These bearings are somewhat difficult to size out due to the many various measurements and lack of any standards or diagrams from the Tucker Co. If anyone has any factory specs they could email it would speed things up and I could better inform you of our sizes. We only have two different sizes of bearings to work from in our hands. If YOU have a different size it would not be difficult at this time to build your size also, so some communication could be helpful. The current "basic" design concept can be adjusted to accommodate other sizes without lengthly and costly redesign. I encourage you to phone me. Doug 503-349-3456. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have built two sizes at this time, these are prototypes and are not usable for anything other than fitting (made from soft stainless), weighing and design analysis as weight is important to the Tucker design. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The shaft is "about" 9/16 but remember there is some taper to them also and the thread for that shaft is 1/2 inch as are the originals we have to work from. Our shafts are replaceable individually with simple hardware store available tools in the event of catastrophic failure. the shaft finishes with the correct size nut and length with the slotted screw type grease port. The slotted screw grease port is designed like the originals so you set the screw in a recess about 1/4 inch which holds the screw from falling out while reinstalling the screw with cold hands and prevents any possibility of cross threading. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bearing inside can be easily replaced also in the event of catastrophic failure with the same simple hand tools. You may purchase the bearing from us or also go to your local bearing supply outlet for a speedy repair if necessary. Be careful on the quality you purchase, all bearings are not alike![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The cup or rolling surface we currently have are approximately as follows;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The cup is also seperatly replacable in the event of catastrofic failure and or normal wear. With proper servicing the cup should be the only componant needing replacement over time![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Roller 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] "Small" about 2.1 inches tall without the flange, 2.4" on the flange. About 3/4" wide without the flange, about 9/10 " counting the flange.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Roller 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] "Large" about 2.2 inches tall without the flange, 2.5 on the flange. About 3/4" wide without the flange, about 9/10 counting the flange.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are currently fine tuning our prototypes and expect our revisions will result in a final product.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am reluctant to speculate on the price at this time so I won't. Again these are high quality pieces with replaceable "components" so there will be no need to replace the whole roller again. Our thinking is you might like that![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The outer Appearance will be the same as the originals from Tucker so your machine will keep its natural appeal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If anyone out there has different sizing they need we would gladly try to accommodate you with your sizes. No setup or engineering charges to you. Send us enough broken samples so we can get them right. Your samples will be returned to you if you need.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are building these due to "OUR" need for them. We will have reliable rollers on "our" Tucker. Due to the unavailability of Tucker rollers of this QUALITY and APPEARANCE we thought others may appreciate them also and so we offer them to you after their completed and tested. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would recommend you purchase only one, examine it, return it unused for full credit if unsatisfied with the product, or order what you need after you've experienced the joy of finally finding the right product for your needs. These rollers will defiantly outlast the originals without adding any appreciable weight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your interest,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Doug[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]503-349-3456[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

"Did anything ever happen with this?"

I ditto that Davenet - seems like potential roller fab guys show up every once in a while with great intentions and then "poof" are gone.

cootbruce

Re:Home made Tucker rollers

When I had a number of Tuckers, I could not find rollers at a fair price. I made my own which worked very well. Here is what I did, and it worked for me.....

A friend of mine gave me some plastic sheeting which was about 1/2 inch thick, it was used to line loader buckets at a blacktop plant. I think you could by it from Granger or similar supply outlets. It is very much like the material used on snowmobile track slides.

I cut the material using a hole saw sized as close to the roller size as I could find, then, drilled the inside of the roller to accept a carriage bolt of the correct size, purchase large washers from the hardware store to use as the flange for the roller and bolted the "new roller" on the machine. At first I ran them between any original rollers but after a while I found I could run them in line with each other. They act just like the slides on a snowmobile. I would always try to make a few passes into the snow/powder, hoping I would build a layer of ice on the rails. I ran my machines at full speed to test them and as I said, I never had a failure. I think I had about $1.00 in hardware in each roller. It would have been more if the material had not been given to me, but I think you could make rollers like this for about $5 per roller.

Hope that helps some Tucker owners......

TINCANCUSTOMS

Yes things did happen. Rollers are AVAILABLE NOW, and have been. I wish there was a way to post pictures so you guys can see the quality, design features, serviceability opportunities using common tools. The rollers are custom in every way using the finest materials. The only off the shelf part is the roller bearing itself , so your not stuck buying from me in case you forgot to grease and it sat under water for years. Go to your auto part store or bearing store taking the bearing # from our part and get your own fast. Bearing store would probably have in stock.
These parts are precision machined and VERY TOUGH, and come apart with a pair of circlip pliers only after removed from track. Each and every part may be purchased separately if needed. You bugger something up and your not out the whole roller, just get what you need.
These rollers are structurally made to last a lifetime! Only the outer part of the roller that contacts the track could wear needing replacement and their made from machined chromemolley not soft steel. There are no stamped parts, everything is precision machined.

You may contact me at tincancustoms@live.com or call 707-637-2068
Doug

PS Cost was as a couple years ago about $75 ea so not much demand. All units were purchased from me and I must place a minimum order to restock. If your in a real pinch I may be able to give your info to the individual who took all I had. He understands, he loves his old tucker. I took this project on as a favor to my friend and make no money from these. That 75.00 is the cost to manufacture them. The more made will bring the cost down.

ALLEN PARSONS

I would say that this is a great improvement over the old rollers. But I will say may cat would need over 300 3/4 inch rollers at $75 a pop. If I bought these my wife would put the rollers and my cat some place where the sun do,s not shine. There is a need for rollers. Why can,t someone mass produce these thing and get the price down so we all can afford them. At $75 a shot It would be cheeper to buy a small lathe and make them your self. The bearing itself is cheep. I will still go to a rubber track.
300x75= Me sleeping in my snow cat on some back road somewhere and that is just for rollers. Just my 1.5 cents

the old trucker

Does anyone have a pic & measurement of one of these rollers. My local machinist is a whizz at lathe work. I'd like to show him one, just to see if he could make it.

OT.

ALLEN PARSONS

About 4 years ago my son built a couple for me. He turned out the stud with a small grove for the c clip to hold the bearing on then made the cup. Pressed the bearing into the cup. Held it in with another c clip. To this day they are still the only two good rollers I have. The cup was not heat treated but after 4 years of use it held up very well. The measurements will depend on the bearing you use. Try the biggest bearing possible, and use a sealed bearing. to keep the water out. You can not grease them, but for a $5 bearing you can not complain. I will look in the basement to see if I can find spare and the # I know it was a NAPA.

muley180

No longer looking for track rollers. In fact I am selling track rollers and other Tucker parts on E-bay will be listing more stuff soon. I also have a bucket of rollers that I have deemed not useable yet could be used for parts to repair other rollers. Thank you