• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New water heater on fire !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Came home last night and wife told me there was no hot water ?????? I just installed a new Water heater last weekend . Went to check it out and the pilot was out . Relit the pilot and the damn thing shot flames all the way up the stack .Caught the plastic insulation blanket on fire !!! Shit ..... No hot water to Monday now as a new one comes from 175 miles away and I am not making the trip until Monday . Appears there is something wrong with the gas regulator . Home Depot said to bring it back ASAP and they would give me a new one , no questions asked . Its still a PIA and I have better things to do . Guess i'll be walking down to the barn to use the shower there for a few days ......:glare:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's crazy. Never heard of one doing that.
Panama is looking better and better isn't it Al? Are you thinking of heading out NOW instead of waiting until August?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Count your blessings, son. That damn thing could have burned your house down in a heartbeat. Luckily you were there to respond. Home Depot stuff is shit in my opinion. I am convinced all their so called name brand stuff is cheapened by the manufacturer to satisfy HD's price point. Don't fuck around with gas.

15 miles north of here a few days ago a homeowner pulled in their driveway, hit the garage door opener and the whole house exploded before their eyes. Luckily they were in their rig and survived. The windshield held by the grace of God. The house looks like it got hit with a 500 pound bomb. The house was filled with propane, the spark from brushes on the garage door motor was all it took. Gas is scary shit for me anyway.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Considering the travel time in relation to the cost of a water heater you may want to buy two and store one as a spare. Nothing like a brand new spare in storage to insure that the one in use will run forever . . . or it will fail and the spare won't work when you install it. :unsure:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably the result of the installation .................. :)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NOTE TO SELF: Do not hire Al as my handyman :yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Stop giving Allen such a bad time not his fault could be dr rum's fault.as for propane it's a pretty safe fuel as gasses go it has an extremely small mixture window it will burn in, but if conditions are right and you have a large enough concentration the results can be explosive. at a buck a kwh i'm not going to electric my hot water comers off a boiler loop and is heated with diesel fuel same as my base board heat.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you check the the pressure coming to it with a manometer? Was it properly switched to propane from NG? You may have a bad valve that is leaking through and blowing the pilot out.You need to be within the range of the valve with the incoming pressure. Perhaps your stepdown regulator on your main tank is going bad. You usually notice this with bad flare ups on the stove burners.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
good point Mulie nfpa code now requires a2 stage regulator a lot of older places still have the old single stage regulators on them

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Allen make shure you check that regulator in the morning be cause by mid afternoon you may be seeing double

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Stop giving Allen such a bad time not his fault could be dr rum's fault.as for propane it's a pretty safe fuel as gasses go it has an extremely small mixture window it will burn in, but if conditions are right and you have a large enough concentration the results can be explosive. at a buck a kwh i'm not going to electric my hot water comers off a boiler loop and is heated with diesel fuel same as my base board heat.

A buck?? Are you shitting me? A buck?? Geez where do you guys get your power from? A buck?? Sounds like the liberals are in charge of your power distribution grid. :yum:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Actually, the newer super-insulated electric water heaters are more cost effective than the best gas heaters. The electric heaters are 100% insulated where the gas ones have an uninsulated exhaust pipe right up the center.

I just installed one of these a couple weeks ago:

http://www.marathonheaters.com/consumers.html

Take note of this statistic:

http://www.marathonheaters.com/util_consumers.html

Thick Envirofoam® insulation allows only 5°F heat loss in 24-hours!

I would challenge any gas heater to have only 5° temperature loss after 24 hours.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
A buck?? Are you shitting me? A buck?? Geez where do you guys get your power from? A buck?? Sounds like the liberals are in charge of your power distribution grid. :yum:
here's the deal the rate is a .60 cents a kwh the other 40 cents comes from the fuel surcharge at that rate I could run my own generator at the same expense