• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oregon Chain Saw blade sharpener - sharpens blade on the saw?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Chains are pricey.

Attachments

• powersharp.jpg
    powersharp.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree, these are a bit steep.

The price for the blade includes a new sharpening stone insert for the unit.

I can't recall the price I paid for the last sharpening I had done, but I suspect that something like this would probably have causal users (like me) using a sharp blade a lot more frequently than a dull one, which is what I usually use :glare:

Still, I'm not sure if the cost/benefit plays out well.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For this sharpener, do I assume correctly that you have to use one of the chains listed in Pixie's post? (It can't be used to sharpen regular chains?)

I've been paying about $20 for a good 18-20" chain. Sharpening runs me $3. In general, I figure a chain is good for about 5 sharpenings before it's met the end of its serviceable life.

That works out to about the same as one of these chains but I don't need to buy the sharpening tool for each of the chainsaws I have (with different bar sizes).

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You have to buy a special bar And chain.

Yes, it might be good for a casual user.

I wonder how many sharpenings the chain can take ?

I use a 14" bar/chain. Stihl chains are about $14.00.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got one of the HF ones on sale for like $29.00 on sale

It only adjusts 2 ways verses 3 for the better ones but for the 4-5 cords a year I do it works fine. I have 5 chains 2 ones for trash wood and 3 for good stuff and wait till I get 2 or 3 and it takes me 1/2 hr to sharpen them

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I usually have 3-4 chains on had when i go out,at least one is new,as the chains get dull i swap them out for a sharper one,later at home I'll go threw the chains and sharpen them,seems i have more trouble with the new ethanol gas(mix)than keeping the chains sharp,but i doubt i cut as much wood as some here,any one have any luck in mixing with ethanol?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have two 50 year old Sears chain saws, both of which came with a built in sharpener which was called a powersharp. Both were removed early on as they required an expensive chain, did not sharpen well, and destroyed the blade in a couple of sharpenings. This sounds like a repeat of to me.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I usually have 3-4 chains on had when i go out,at least one is new,as the chains get dull i swap them out for a sharper one,later at home I'll go threw the chains and sharpen them,seems i have more trouble with the new ethanol gas(mix)than keeping the chains sharp,but i doubt i cut as much wood as some here,any one have any luck in mixing with ethanol?
My Stihl dealer say do not use anything but the premium grade for mixing. Most guys go to a marina and get boat fuel to mix with.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
i use about a gallon of gas mix every two-three weeks. i haven't had any problems from ethanol using regular gas. My small engines in generators etc have been fine. my car gas mileage is less, though :sad: