• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker in Canada

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Rare machine, and desirable, too. And it looks to be in remarkably nice and "unmolested" condition.

It's not specified what currency the asking price is. If US dollars I think the price is pretty darn high. If priced in Canadian dollars, that equates to $29,536 - as of today. (That still seems on the high side, at least to me.)

I don't understand the nomenclature though. Wouldn't a 542 be a two door machine with wide steel tracks? A later rubber track conversion would explain the track differences, but not the cab configuration. (It looks like most of the idler wheels are the early style Tucker used, which were R&K wheels.)

In reading Track Addicts thread about his 1443, I wonder which axles this has. Are they the Dodge corporate ones, or Dana 60s?. In looking at the photos the axle hubs look like Dana 60, but I'm not certain.

Another question would be the fifth wheel plates (some call them "turntables"). My impression is they are the earlier aluminum castings rather than the later style welded steel type.

Another item I'll point out is the blade's cutting edge. It looks to be one piece. My Tuckers with factory blades had three piece cutting edges. The blade is probably 9'6" wide, with the main center part being 8' wide and two bolt-on wing sections at 9" each. The wing pieces have cutting edges that overlap the center section, maybe 15" on each side. The center portion cutting edge is commensurately shorter. That overlapping cutting edge gives the wing pieces a lot of their strength. The underlying concept here is that by removing the wing pieces the blade is 8' wide, which is a legal width. If the cutting edge on this machine were one piece, unbolting the wings does you no good, unless you remove the entire cutting edge, which would be substantially more work. (Not a deal breaker, but something to consider.)

Truthfully the Tucker installed cutting edges were maybe on the weak side. (I say that because one somewhat resembled a potato chip as it was bent.) They were 1/4" thick and 4" high. I replaced my bent one with one that's 6" high and 1'2" thick. Yup, more weight, and in the wrong spot, but a whole lot stronger.

Not much of an issue, but missing the rear bolt-on pintle hook.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like Dana rear ends. Aluminum tables.

Nice clean cat. First pass at pics looks like rear table and carrier might have some wear similar to mine. Cab looks a little tilted to left from back and driver’s side carrier looks tilted in. Few newer grousers. V8 has to be better than the slant power.

Nice cat if buyer seller can make a deal!

rodre

I would say the price is more than likely in CAD. If it is still high it is probably because there are way less units in Canada that come up for sale. Probably way less people looking to buy something like that here as well but if you are the seller and don't need the money you can wait until someone who wants it and has done their homework on finding one in the USA, picking it up or then getting it shipped, the taxes and export/import hassles t the border, possibly buying sight unseen etc etc then you would pay more. Reminds me of a somewhat rare boat I bought once in the USA; I bought it, used it on and off for three or four years then ended up selling it for $5k more then I paid for it because I was in no rush. Looking back I probably could have gotten more for it because it was mint but I was happy and so I was the guy I sold it to and I needed the garage space back.