• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrack restauration project

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i noticed you deleated the heater box's what are you doing for heat or is it not that cold there

louis

Hi,

It is very cold in Quebec; it can go minus 40 degrees sometimes

Two reasons to remove the heater box:

A 1 7/8 diameter 4-into-1 exhaust system is definetely the "hot setup" for VW hot rodding

If you want a low noise cabin you have to blank all holes in you firewall; if you bring hot air from the engine compartment, you always bring a lot of noise with that heat

P.S.: I was very pleased with the cabine low noise after the careful installation of sound attenuating material and every holes small or big closed

At cruise speed: 3200 R.P.M. in 3rd gear , you can have a normal conversation

For heating i have a freshly overhaul VW gaz heater, give heat enough even with a window open

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi,

It is very cold in Quebec; it can go minus 40 degrees sometimes

Two reasons to remove the heater box:

A 1 7/8 diameter 4-into-1 exhaust system is definetely the "hot setup" for VW hot rodding

If you want a low noise cabin you have to blank all holes in you firewall; if you bring hot air from the engine compartment, you always bring a lot of noise with that heat

P.S.: I was very pleased with the cabine low noise after the careful installation of sound attenuating material and every holes small or big closed

At cruise speed: 3200 R.P.M. in 3rd gear , you can have a normal conversation

For heating i have a freshly overhaul VW gaz heater, give heat enough even with a window open
i have several stewart warner heaters the only problem i have is burning 6 dollar a gallon fuel just for heat i do agree that j bok heaters and the fan add alot of noise but that is price uou pay for free heat

louis

The Quiz Winner is: Undy

Undy, congratulations, you just won a cold beer next time you come to my place :clap:

Those jacks stand are at least 60 years old, used every day and still in great shape; we are not talking chinese tools here

louis

Hi DDS,

You liked the homebuilt Citroen tractor of my father

Find enclosed a colour picture

Attachments

• picture 6.jpg
    picture 6.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,114

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my 6 year old wants it for his up comming 7th birthday on the 20th i can't get one put together that fast

Laurentian

Belle job Louis !
Si jamais tu entend parlé d'un Tucker à vendre au Québec
laisse moi savoir svp.

Nice Job Louis !
If ever you hear of a Tucker for sale in Québec
let me know please.

:clap:

nikos

:clap::clap::clap::clap:One of the most reconstructed - restorated SNOW TRAC in the Forum.
Congratulations again Louis.

regards nikos.

louis

Snowtrack and Snowshack at summer time (second post with a bigger picture)

Attachments

• aaaphoto.jpg
    aaaphoto.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 990

nikos

Hi Louis
Which type of gas heater have you placed, in the ST4. It is the normal VW Type of gas heater? Or you have adapt something different.

Thanks Nikos

louis

For the Alaskan guys out there

A SuperCub with Alaska bush wheels, the Snowshack carrier and Snowshack at summer time :clap:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 887

louis

1st picture: Snowshack Carrier and Snowshack with HELIO COURRIER plane

2 nd picture: Toys box

3rd picture: 50 New custom made wheels guide to be installed before winter season

:hammer::hammer:

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 890
  • photo 3 toy box.jpg
    photo 3 toy box.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 891
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 892

louis

Dave,

The track guide were all custom made in house ; 17 steps to build one !:sad:

A lot of work ; so far, i have made 100 last year and i am planning to make an

other 100 this year to replace the incorrect and non original ones previously

installed

louis

First Ride _Winter 2013:wink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nMnGLycRc"]Snow track Quebec snowshack 3 - YouTube[/ame]

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Helio Courier planes are awesome. Amazed how well they perform. Rode in one last summer.:smile:

:agree: I was just going to reply the same thing with that and the Super Cub. Able to land & T/O either on a postage stamp.

Louis, just amazing work. My A & P friends have some of those same skills, but their shops are no where near as clean and organized as yours! :biggrin: It drives me crazy trying to help them. They know exactly where every last thing is in a pile of stuff, but if I can't see it, it may as well not be there!

One thing missing in your toy box though . . . where's your ice bike? :brows:

David

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Helio Courier planes are awesome. Amazed how well they perform. Rode in one last summer.:smile:

the helio isan awsomeplane yet it does have limitations most notably that gear reduction motor with short overhaul intervals also the origional planes did not have the power to overcome the drag from slattts and flaps to do a go aound on a missed approach this info comes from an old helio pilot abit more hp would have made it a real preformer. ramomne eventuaaly retired the helios for 206's as they made more money.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,

How many Pilatus Porters do you see up there? Or would the opperating costs just kill the feasability of having them up there compaired to a Caravan?

David

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i have seen a few they are reserved for some of the larger air taxies. the turbin beaver seems to be a better bang for the buck as the porter is kind of like a skyvan a nich plane it will make money in some ways but out of nome they eat up too much revinue stuffing the tanks full of fuel. and why am i ur the old lady is on a benge and i don't want to be around the house my fuse is getting too short.i will try to crash for a couple of hours here at the shop. i keep reminding her that some of us can hold and keep a job. back to planes the real money maker in freight here is a casa 212 even the twin otters cant make as much money as the casa can.

louis

talking of aircraft ; here is a new type half snow mobile ( BT "BOMBARDIER TRUCK " one of fourteen made)the other half a pratt & withney 2200 HP radial engine very short take off !! we do not know for the landing yet :yum:

Attachments

• new type.jpg
    new type.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 850

louis

HEATER UPDATE

PHOTO# 1 NEW PROHEAT MODEL A2 HEATER

PHOTO# 2 OLD VW UNIT AND NEW PROHEAT HEATER

PHOTO# 3 ELECTRONIC CONTROL DISPLAY ( FAR RIGHT)

Attachments

• 002 (1).jpg
    002 (1).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 769
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 770
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 764