• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Value of this 1404 Imp?

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for some feedback on a ballpark value (range) of this 1404. It has 1800 hours. No idea on condition of tracks. Haven't seen it in person yet but I'm thinking of going to check it out.

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

Looks like a nice imp.. I think it was for sale last winter for $16,000..Nice aluminum grousers and cab..Seems a bit high on the price,but they certainly dont make them anymore. I would say bout $10,000 range but am no expert..Good Luck..

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a nice imp.. I think it was for sale last winter for $16,000..Nice aluminum grousers and cab..Seems a bit high on the price,but they certainly dont make them anymore. I would say bout $10,000 range but am no expert..Good Luck..

Thanks Duffycustomworks. It probably is the same one that you saw last winter. So I'm guessing the aluminum grousers were an option. According to the owner the motor was just rebuilt and drive axle replaced after snapping it. I do wonder what other items might be of concern with 1800+ hours though...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the value is in the tracks and rear steering differential if both are good the rest of the machine looks reasonable the price may not bee that out of the ball park.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
the value is in the tracks and rear steering differential if both are good the rest of the machine looks reasonable the price may not bee that out of the ball park.

Thanks Snowtrac. How can I assess the condition of the rear diff w/o tearing into it?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i.m no expert on the oc-4, the oc -12 the top comes off real easy I would look at the input yoke check that area for play, and maybe fish around the bottom of the trans axle with a magnet on an oc -4, looking for large metal parts. snow cat pat at sprite improvement would be your go to guy on the oc differentials

The OC4 has the cover on the rear - it is also a mounting point so removing the cover could be a little more challenging if you aren't in a good place to do it. I love the OC4 and have it in two machines, they aren't real heavy duty though and are getting a little pricy to repair. On the positive side you will get more ground speed out of them. You might contact Spryte Improvement (Pat Foster) in my experience they are extremely helpful and they rebuild both the OC12 AND OC4 rear ends. He might be able to give you some insights on what to look for. The pictures show two shifters so it will be an OC4.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The A model Spytes with the 4 spd rear get two thumbs up from me.
Ground speed in the imps. However, Speed with drop boxes I would anticipate to be similar to 12??
lightness I had a A model and it was light to tow, light and nimble in the medium density snow we get in the midwest, and pulled hard when hooked to a 8'6" snow boss drag.

happy shopping

Mike thank you I should have clarified that better. I would agree a spryte would be closer to the 12 mph area due to the reductions. We have had my Imp up close to 30 though it is modified, I would guess that an original Imp would be a 20 mph machine pretty easy.

There are a lot of perks to the Imp, they float well, they are light weight, can haul them on a standard car trailer. I drive mine down the ditches when we are bored at home, cant do that with my Spryte!!

AD

The Imp would probably fit your needs very well. Have you looked at this machine yet? It appears to be quite nice. Do you haul alot of people in and out? You could put several people in the imp and then pull a sled. snowcatservice has some nice toboggans.

910222_orig.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wait, What?

Snowcatservice sells Kristi's?

that sled could act as a bath tub as well.

R

Reddog

Having seen this machine, I'll say this:

It's pretty nice, and it's in Colorado, so savings on shipping may be something to consider (compared to getting a cat from AK or CA or elsewhere)

As I recall, belting and grousers were good, which saves, full cab, which is nice and ran well.

As far as speed goes, I think the limiting factor will be HP, not so much gearing. With the 3/4 tranny rear end setup, you will always find a gear that works, but you will be limited to that gear as catching another one may not be an option.

FWIW....

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Those little imps will go pretty fast. The ski area i used to work at had one that had a blade and tracksetter behind it. you would start bouncing long before you reached top speed.

I would point as loggah said they do pitch!! If you are talking about an unmaintained road going to your cabin they ride very nice in snow. If you get on a maintained trail and get to moving along they can start pitch for and aft and the only thing you can do is slow down...