• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNOW TRAC WHEELS - help me find parts

nikos

As a new owner of Snow Trac from North West Greece in a small town Florina, hello everybody in the Forum.:w00t2:
Nikolaos Speaking.:biggrin: I bought a Snow Trac ST4 1503, (1971 year) so i began to rest orate, and i need help and advise. My Snow trac is Running, mechanically is in good condition.
This Snow Trac it belong to an Electricity Company here in Greece, until 1980.

Fist the rear wheel is completely damaged, so i need one new, or used but in good condition Trelleborg 600X 100 6 ply (Tire and tube).
I need also 4 boogie wheels Trelleborg 400X 4 6ply (Tire and Tube).
Can somebody tell me if where can i find the parts.
If i don't find anything, the Aero Classic 400X4,1, (for the small ones) and the Good Year 4,5 X 1,6 NHS 6 ply, or the Alpine 4,5 X16 (For the large Wheel) are the right type of wheels for the SNOW TRAC.
Next step is to replace the 3 section design trac with the large wheel. I need a dimensional drawing pattern- for the crawler tracks.
The elastic belts how many reinforced inserts must have?

regards nicktam

Attachments

• snow trac 2.jpg
    snow trac 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,348
  • SNOW TRAC 1.jpg
    SNOW TRAC 1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,291
  • SNOWTRAC 3.jpg
    SNOWTRAC 3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,376
Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
on the rear tires you can use a street tread motorcycle tire the composit wheels are a motor cycle rim with an aluminum slug installed the little tires are aircraft tail wheel sizes good luck nice looking st that one has the ambulance door in the rear

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Nikos! Welcome to our internet off topic forums.

Good pics. That's a nice looking snow trac you got there.
Do you get much snow?
Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HI: Welcome to the Forum. Nice ST4! No one even noticed that it's the AMBULANCE MODEL! CHRISTER, ON THE BIG TIRE AND RIM. You might want to tighten(Tension) that track up a bit or it will de-track. I like the Orange paint too.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
HI: Welcome to the Forum. Nice ST4! No one even noticed that it's the AMBULANCE MODEL! CHRISTER, ON THE BIG TIRE AND RIM. You might want to tighten(Tension) that track up a bit or it will de-track. I like the Orange paint too.
your wrong lyndon look at my post

nikos

Doc, Greece is not only for summer vocation, and fun - dancing in the islands.:whistling:
In my place the snow fault in the mountains on December, until April.
We have 2 center Ski,and also names for the snow, such as Dry, sugar, salt, hard, cold. The mountains round the area are 2100 m - 2450 meter high.
The temperature in the Winter in Florina city, gets - 5 to -20 C.
Doc the Winter, is part of our life's, i like to feel to see, the changes in every season, the summer, the spring, but the ST4 is the right transform to get saved (Ambulance) inside the winter.
I will sent some pics from the winter in my place ok. florina n6.jpg

florina Vitsi n1.jpg

Florina ν1.jpg

florina n2.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed the lack of vents in the engine hood .Fist one I've seen .
Jim

nikos

dds and JimVT Look at the pic. The vents for engine hood for the air to cool the machine, are in the front, in the same place as the others ST4.
The last pics because the sun light, (no shadows) we can,t see the shapes with the different forms of the vents.
The designer has change the way of travel air from the vents.:hammer:
The way of the air is oposit, in front the windows.
Here is the pic with the machine and the vents from inside.:unsure:
Any question?

Attachments

• DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,135

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Have you repainted the snowtrac in orange or was that how you bought it? I suspect its original colour would have been red.

nikos

Ice Qeen you are right. The original color for the ST4 is RED ok.
The orange was the color for the operate Recognative vehicles in the Electricity company here in Greece. The previous owner had refress the ST4 with the "original " color of the company. Probably he did not know the international simiotic RED color of ST4, and in his mind the orange was the "original".
For me I prefer the RED with the white collor in the top with the graffics ok:clap:
But in the forum i did not see any orange ST4.
Only the Tuckers and some 1404 IMP. That makes my ST4 unique.:w00t2:
This hapent because the simiotic colors (RED or ORANGE) have deferents meaning in some countries. Example the White color in Japan has other meaning than in Europe, or U.S.
And also there were so many operative ST4 in many countries ( England, France, Italy, etc ) without the original red color.

nikos

Guys Thanks for the informations. :biggrin:I found the small boogies from an Italian Aircraft Industry. :smile:Now i ll try to find the large one.
First lay out the belts and i try to change- replace the track belt.
I think the big problem is there, with the 480 holes per side:hammer:, and also how many reinforced inserts must have the elastic belt
I send Pics to see some others differences (doors - instruments , lock case e.t.c).
The glass of the Window is in the floor, because the case infront of the door was broken and the door open from inside (open Window).

Attachments

• ST4 1.JPG
    ST4 1.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,103
  • ST4 2.JPG
    ST4 2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,085

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed you still have the gas heater. Most of us have scrapped them.
Jim

nikos

in this pic we can see the rear flat tire in ST4. The previous owner put on a motorcicle Wheel (no insert and ply reinforced) and thats why the tire was completly damaged.
Can someone tell me about where can i find original Trelleborg 600X100 ?

OR informations How it works (the size between tire- rim) in

a) the Alpine Guide 4,5 X16 6 PLY
b) Goodyear 4,5 X16 NHS 6 PLY
c) Continental T9 SIZE 4.00 -16 AS Front.

Are these types of tires right for the ST4 ? Any address and post?

what about the composit wheel, any informations ?

Guys in U.S.A and Europe do you Know anything about the GREEN REVOLUTION from GREECE TECHNOLOGIE called DEFKALION?
Maybe my ST4 will be the first ST4 with this technology.
Hydrogen + Nicelium. NO GAS ANYMORE.
http://www.defkalion-energy.com/

Attachments

• DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00149.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,067

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
to the best of my knowlage none of the 6 bolt wheels were composite you are better off with the steel wheels

hi Nikos i have st4/1575.had no look finding correct tires.but have fitted two tires at the back. off BMW space saver spare wheel.continental 115/90/16. these are only single ply.but run high psi.cheep at scrap yards maybe better hard foam filled.most of weight is on the front wheels.i fitted puncher proof mobility scooter tires also cheep second hand.ps Iam in England.

nikos

Hi Jim :clap::Great idea:clap::clap:
10 points for England:clap::clap:really !!!!!!!!! for your suggestion.You are great on.
Look what i find in my garage:w00t2: :w00t2:A BMW continental 115/90/16:yum: :yum: Now i have to buy another one for the other rear side, and then i replace the original Trelleborg. Olny to have a back up, if something happent in the Front wheels.:w00t2:
Next step is to foam fill both of the 115/90 continentnal tires.
Thanks again JIM. Your opinion was so appreciable:clap::clap:
Jim, if you pleased sent me a pic of yours small boogie tires, (to see the type scooter foam fill tires). I have a close relation with the scooters as you can see.
Scootermania.

Attachments

• DSC000HH02.jpg
    DSC000HH02.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,960

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What BMW is that wheel out of? It looks like it may be a good one to modify to use on my snowtrac.
I am not sure what pictures you want.
Jim

nikos

Jim VT sorry for the misunderstanding, i ask SnowTracJIM from England to send me a pic of his Army ST4 (with the boogie scooter foam fill Wheels). If you read the threads below, you can see the facts. Also the congratulations :clap::clap: are for everybody here in this Forum, because the level of the Knowledge and the experience that we share out, is the basic cause of this interactive approach, for the progress - Restoration and presentation of the projects in Snow cats.

But Jim VT the BMW foam fill Wheel is a very good solution, because you can find this product - TIRES everywhere, in any country with BMW cars. I think this tire has 3 ply, and it's run in high speed. Thats why i ask Snowtrack JIM to sent pictures to see the total instalation in his Army ST4 in England.

HI NIKOS hope these are of use.Iam not very good with computa only got one at beginning of year.400x4 tires are off disabilaty electric scooter.the pic of rims are st/4 and BMW.I will get size of stud paten for Jim vt tomorow.think early snow tracs have 5 studs on wheel.

Attachments

• camera.sept11 860.jpg
    camera.sept11 860.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,033
  • camera.sept11 849.jpg
    camera.sept11 849.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • camera.sept11 865.jpg
    camera.sept11 865.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • camera.sept11 895.jpg
    camera.sept11 895.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • camera.sept11 957.jpg
    camera.sept11 957.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,022

nikos

Hi guys. After a couple a days in silense (Watching- Searching - Learning- wondering in F.F) here i am again. The fist snow in the mountain:clap:. So we better hurry.:hammer:

LYNDON ... you are right. Look what had happend when i deside to drιve move ahead the ST4 in the garage. :yum:
After a few minutes we put the wheels inside the drivers, and this time with reverse the ST4 arrived in the garage.:w00t2:

Attachments

• DSC00066.JPG
    DSC00066.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 982
  • DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 988
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 988
  • DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00076.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 978

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
what a place to work i'm in a comercial shop building and it's not as big as thjat place

nikos

dds this Shop building it is a place close to the National highway 5th Km Greece to Former Yugoslavia, and it belogs to a close friend of mine. Its not only a vehicle workshop - servise auto, but also a place for Washing cars, for spare parts warehouse, reprensative car factory, tires, etc.
In the building in which i had parked the ST4 its was a warehouse for tructors, farmer vagons, and smal trucks.

The operation its just began,:hammer: tires, mechanical parts, Lay out the belts.

Here i am Guys. Nikos in my workshop measuring the holes in 3 schematic belts. Lets Rock n Roll, Good Luck, and hope God on our side.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 967
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 958
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 988
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 961
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 963
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 975
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 970
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 955
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 968
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 950

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
puting the tracks on in the air will be hard when you go to put then on uou will want tto be sitting in the tracks than you will want to pull th etop track over to the drive sproket use the starter motor to turn the drive sproket to pull th etracks together than bolt them up it's also how i break them apart also you bear a strong likeness to one of our local preachers good luck

nikos

After a couple of days, in this small -scale restoration Look what i found
The Wild RED spirit of mine ST4:wow:
Hiddened -covered in a mix of mechanicall oils, dirt, and whatever you can imagine.

In a paraphase from the film Cristine

It was born in red color
its seductive
it corrupts you
its irresistible
its pure
Its ST4.
A 1971 WV hidden with dirt and oil from the previous owners.........
The body and soul is singing........

As I am waiting the varriator Belt to be replaced and some gaskets,i am trying to rebuilt the floor - inside and under the frame (probably to found any rust - priming- painting etc).

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 886
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 61.JPG
    61.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 902
odd coincidence my little girls middle name is christine met her mom restoring christine replica.now sadly gone to a museum in belgium: sad: photos taken day she was sold

Attachments

• camera.sept11 025.jpg
    camera.sept11 025.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 878
  • camera.sept11 028.jpg
    camera.sept11 028.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 877
  • camera.sept11 026.jpg
    camera.sept11 026.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 860

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cute baby and a beautiful 57 Plymouth! Quite a car in it's day. I recognized the bush button transmission buttons before I even saw the car.:clap:

well spotted muleman. 57 made to look like a 58 . rear view mirror the give away.she was lovely to drive propper car .may be one day :smile:

nikos

What a car:w00t2::wow:
But SnowtracJIM what a gorgeous lady that you hold in your hand.
Probably a baby that was born from the flame of this Plymouth.
Nice try:clap: The best wishes.
In her wedding day, this is the right think, this car (plymouth) must escore the groom- bride. Christine strawberry girl: