• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Every Day Life in the Northern Yukon

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't really read or follow any of the popular internet bloggers, but I've found this one pretty interesting. Not popular or well known. It simply documents the life of a couple building a home and living in the Northern Yukon.

http://manuelaz.blogspot.com/

From the house construction section: http://manuelaz.blogspot.com/search/label/Construction
House Update: Windows done!
With the lack of sunlight I do not feel very compelled to take pictures. I apologize for my negligence!

Elias finished the last window of the new house a few days ago. He also covered up the doors that lead to the rooms we do not use this winter. Now he is going to build an entrance door, and then we’ll be fully operational as far as the heating system is concerned. That big heavy iron monster of a stove better heat up the place well! After all I jeopardized my health carrying it!

091226+windows+done+%284%29+small.jpg

091226+windows+done+small.jpg

House update: Windows

091207%2Bnew%2Bwindows%2B(6)%2Bsmall.jpg

8x8'' frames around all the openings

091207%2Bnew%2Bwindows%2B(3)%2Bsmall.jpg

Upstairs doors

The days are short in December. From 11 am to 4 pm there is enough daylight to work outside. Elias finished the upstairs windows and doorframes. He is now finishing up the downstairs windows. Once that is done, the door openings to the rooms that are not finished yet will be covered up and insulated. We hope to be able to move into the new house before the end of the year.

091208%2Bcutting%2Bwindow%2B(4)%2Bsmall.jpg

Cutting the window by the main entrance door​

From the DAILY TASK portion of their blog, here is a typical entry:
Potpourri: Hunting, Ice, Construction, and Trail Work
Too much has been going on. There has been no time to take pictures, let alone write stories. Here is a short potpourri of things that happened during the past days:

Moose Hunt – Drill
I was just hauling some firewood to the guest cabin when Elias spotted several moose on the island out front. He called me and we jogged to the boat. Ten minutes later Elias dropped Lance and me off at the island. While he ‘parked’ the boat at the tip of the island, Lance and I walked in the woods, with the sun in our eyes, making noise, hoping that the big mammals would leave the forest where Elias could see them. At one point we heard the do-donk-do-donk of hooves in the sand. Actually, I felt the vibration as much as I heard the sound. A few minutes after that Elias broke off the operation. He had seen the animals, two young females. While he had remained motionless at a distance of several hundred metres, they had casually crossed the river in front of him. We went home, happy for the chance to do that drill, but knowing that we were still without meat for the winter.

Other than that we are monitoring the area along the river. Two days ago Elias saw a female caribou (!) on the tip of the island out front. Not much moose activity, though.

Slush on the River
Ice has been building up at the mouth of the creek for days, and two days ago, on October 17, we spotted the first slush and ice coming down the river. It makes crunching sounds when it is rubbing against the boat, and slowly, ice builds up on the outside of the boat. Soon it will be time to pull the boats out. The Tango is on dry ground now, since we did not push her in as the water level kept falling.

091017%2Bslush%2Bon%2Briver%2Bsmall.jpg

Slush and ice

Roof Finished!
After weeks of hard work Elias finished the roof work. How do you take pictures of the roof of a two storey house, when the scaffolding is gone? Believe me, it looks great!

Ice Candle
One morning I opened the water bucket, and I hit ice! I chopped a little bit with the pitcher, but since the pitcher would not fit into the bucket, I pulled the ice out. Here is a picture of the buckets ice-lining.

091015%2Bbucket%2Bice%2Bcandle%2B(17)%2Bsmall.jpg

Ice candle

Trail Work
I cleared some of our wood trail downriver the past two days. The flood had left most of the trees in the area in a horizontal position. The area was not accessible in the summer because the ground was too wet. Now that it has been freezing for several days, the trails are accessible for us, and I was in a rush to finish the trail work before the first snow covers everything up.​

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome blog...I friend of mine in the city was considering making ice candles like that and selling them to local businesses. He says they aren't that hard to make and will last for months in the cold temps.